Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Loans 2021/22

Just now, moore_94 said:

Yeah he had dropped off a bit the past few weeks, but not a bad way to come back in and against your former loan club as well

Hardly dropped off the last few weeks when he's been nominated for player of the month in league 1 for March!

It now April 12th only.

He was rested for 1 game! 

20 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Hardly dropped off the last few weeks when he's been nominated for player of the month in league 1 for March!

It now April 12th only.

He was rested for 1 game! 

He was on fire at the start of March which got him into the nomination for player of the month - 5 goals in 3 games

But then he went without a goal, assist or any real standout performances in the 5 games before tonight, he definitely dropped off at least a bit from how he was playing compared to those first 3 games in March and tonight

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

Be interesting to see what happens with Hirst next season, there is a decent Championship striker in there, possibly, if he continues to develop a lower end Chris Wood style PL striker.

Not sure how long is on his contract, but, I would imagine either a Championship loan or getting 3-5 million for him from a mid table Championship club. 

9 hours ago, moore_94 said:

He was on fire at the start of March which got him into the nomination for player of the month - 5 goals in 3 games

But then he went without a goal, assist or any real standout performances in the 5 games before tonight, he definitely dropped off at least a bit from how he was playing compared to those first 3 games in March and tonight

No entirely correct.

Portsmouth have only played 5 games before the one last night.

He was rested for the one previously so has ony played 4 since last scoring.

In that time Portsmouth only scored 1 goal as a collective so he was certainly not alone in not scoring! He averaged a rating of 6.9 during those 4 games which was the second highest for any player that had played in 2 or more games during that period.

Cowley came out and said he was rested only for that one game and needed to look at other players with next season in mind.

So again i say... he's hardly dropped off as his nomination for League 1 player of the month suggests. 

He's been very consistent since cementing himself in the starting 11.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I would hope BR takes a look at him during pre-season before binning him off to Derby or Burton.

Rodgers has had many a long look at Hirst. He is another one of those he has written off in his mind. I don't think staying with LCFC would be good for his career. If Portsmouth can come up with £2 million or so, we should let him go.

8 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Be interesting to see what happens with Hirst next season, there is a decent Championship striker in there, possibly, if he continues to develop a lower end Chris Wood style PL striker.

Not sure how long is on his contract, but, I would imagine either a Championship loan or getting 3-5 million for him from a mid table Championship club. 

No chance we get £3m-£5m for him.

£1m-£2m tops I would think.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Rodgers has had many a long look at Hirst. He is another one of those he has written off in his mind. I don't think staying with LCFC would be good for his career. If Portsmouth can come up with £2 million or so, we should let him go.

Sorry, whilst that may be true, it's purely speculation on your part, you state it like BR has confided in you!

25 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

See my above post on Wright. I think Hirst should get a fresh look at pre-season ... if he doesn't earn a spot, he should be sold and get on with his career.

2 hours ago, themightyfin said:

No entirely correct.

Portsmouth have only played 5 games before the one last night.

He was rested for the one previously so has ony played 4 since last scoring.

In that time Portsmouth only scored 1 goal as a collective so he was certainly not alone in not scoring! He averaged a rating of 6.9 during those 4 games which was the second highest for any player that had played in 2 or more games during that period.

Cowley came out and said he was rested only for that one game and needed to look at other players with next season in mind.

So again i say... he's hardly dropped off as his nomination for League 1 player of the month suggests. 

He's been very consistent since cementing himself in the starting 11.

so he still went 5 games without a goal? seems like dropping off to me 

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

It never fails to amaze me how many mind readers we have on Foxestalk. lol

It must be lovely knowing every starting line-ups before KO and what BR is thinking about having for tea. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

It never fails to amaze me how many mind readers we have on Foxestalk. lol

It must be lovely knowing every starting line-ups before KO and what BR is thinking about having for tea. 

OK I should have put "I think" it just a subjective opinion. I don't know , nobody does. I have always supported Hirst but all the evidence suggests he has been sidelined.

41 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

OK I should have put "I think" it just a subjective opinion. I don't know , nobody does. I have always supported Hirst but all the evidence suggests he has been sidelined.

Or just sent on loan to develop by playing men's football rather then under 23's? 

No different to what happen to KDH last year. 

21 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Or just sent on loan to develop by playing men's football rather then under 23's? 

No different to what happen to KDH last year. 

Even if he was "written off" after lackluster spells at OHL -- I know, not a loan, but still, kinda like a loan -- and Rotherham, I think that assessment would be re-evaluated after his time at Pompey.

But Rodgers said he thought that KDH went on loan too late, and that he should have gone at a younger age, and been integrated into the first team squad earlier. You look at what Wright and Hirst are achieving right now, and then look at their ages and contract situations... it all seems about two years delayed.

Rodgers came in and obviously didn't like the Academy setup. He wants younger players in the u23s and fewer placeholders (all those castoffs we were signing to fill slots, instead of promoting from the U18s).

Hirst and Wright are sort of victims of that transition -- they are performing well at League 1 level, but are now at the age they need to kick on with their careers, and it would be unfair for them to be kept on contract as "ones for the future" when they are in their mid-20s.

I also think KDH was in the same boat, but he showed up at preseason with a point to prove and proved it, earning a spot on the squad. I think both Hirst and Wright should be evaluated in the pre-season; if they aren't good enough to earn a spot in our squad, they should be sold.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Even if he was "written off" after lackluster spells at OHL -- I know, not a loan, but still, kinda like a loan -- and Rotherham, I think that assessment would be re-evaluated after his time at Pompey.

But Rodgers said he thought that KDH went on loan too late, and that he should have gone at a younger age, and been integrated into the first team squad earlier. You look at what Wright and Hirst are achieving right now, and then look at their ages and contract situations... it all seems about two years delayed.

Rodgers came in and obviously didn't like the Academy setup. He wants younger players in the u23s and fewer placeholders (all those castoffs we were signing to fill slots, instead of promoting from the U18s).

Hirst and Wright are sort of victims of that transition -- they are performing well at League 1 level, but are now at the age they need to kick on with their careers, and it would be unfair for them to be kept on contract as "ones for the future" when they are in their mid-20s.

I also think KDH was in the same boat, but he showed up at preseason with a point to prove and proved it, earning a spot on the squad. I think both Hirst and Wright should be evaluated in the pre-season; if they aren't good enough to earn a spot in our squad, they should be sold.

100% probably why the club has employed Paul McGuinness as Head of Academy Player Development late last year to address this and then move on Guy Branston from the role of Loans manager. 

Will be interesting to see what happens with both Wright and Hirst. 

• Like 1

Thing with Wright is that he's been excellent in both loan spells, making the step up each time. Whilst he might be 22 in May, there's every reason to think he could do a great job in the championship, even for 6 months then come back and be involved.

I'm sure we'd all rather he was getting into our first team squad at 20/21 but even if it isn't until 23, it's worth waiting and seeing. I know he was incredibly highly thought of when we got him from Blackburn so there's clearly a lot of potential there.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Thing with Wright is that he's been excellent in both loan spells, making the step up each time. Whilst he might be 22 in May, there's every reason to think he could do a great job in the championship, even for 6 months then come back and be involved.

I'm sure we'd all rather he was getting into our first team squad at 20/21 but even if it isn't until 23, it's worth waiting and seeing. I know he was incredibly highly thought of when we got him from Blackburn so there's clearly a lot of potential there.

Like having another signing in the team. If only a depth option would prefer he go to a mid level championship team to get some experience and play first team and not a bench warmer 

Todays Games - Friday 15th April

Championship:

Daniel Iversen - starting for Preston vs Millwall

League One:

Callum Wright - starting for Cheltenham vs Gillingham

George Hirst - starting for Portsmouth vs Lincoln

League Two:

Josh Eppiah - starting for Northampton vs Oldham

Tyrese Shade - starting for Walsall vs Carlisle

Kasey McAteer - on the bench for Forest Green Rovers vs Barrow

Jake Wakeling - not in the squad for Barrow vs Forest Green Rovers

Edited by moore_94