Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Fofana Injury

This one has hit me the hardest out of all of our player injuries over the years, I was so deflated last night and the weird thing was I wasn't even thinking oh we only have 1-2 fit centre backs now its I hope he comes back just as strong as i truly think he could be one of the best centre backs in the world. 

• Like 2

Just been having a look at some leg/ankle injuries. 

Wasilewski (Open leg fracture) - Injured Late August, back early May.

Andre Gomes (Ankle fracture and dislocation) - Injured early November, back late February

Seamus Coleman (Fractured tibia and fibula) - Injured mid March, back late January.

Daniel Amartey (Ankle fracture) - Injured late October (2018), back September (2019 - but only made the bench once for a league cup game before further surgery left him out for nearly another year.

• Thanks 1

Recovery from these breaks can be pretty good and fairly swift provided there’s no other issue. 

If he’s got away with no ligament or muscle damage, and can avoid any complications post op then once repaired they heal fairly swiftly. It’s the complications that hold you back, sometimes they leave the wound open to graft or go back in again, like Shaw had.

Avoid any of that and he could be back early new year maybe? 

3 at the back is 100% out of the question.

Of players we have that played for us last season in a 3 formation (Justin, Amartey, Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana, Fuchs and Morgan) we only have Amartey and Soyuncu available.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I mean, the page before this one you can clearly see both feet are off the ground and he's airborne.

I doth my cap, there's a few milliseconds where he is.

You're generally an objective chap. Would you agree that as the bloke is sliding in, it looks like Wes is chasing after the ball and then Wes sticks his foot in an unpredictable spot compared to how he's running?

It can't just be me that's seeing this lol If Wes goes for the ball as it looks like he's about to then the bloke gets the ball and a bit of Wes, but because Wes throws his weight into his left leg, I'm assuming expecting a shoulder barge, it just ends horribly. 

• Like 3

This could take a couple of years for him to get back to the levels he has set himself, it has taken Luke Shaw a long time to get over the psycological problems that are caused by a broken leg.  Ricardo is only now starting to get back to somewhere near the levels he can reach after an ACL injury.  I would add the one thing Fofana has going for him, is his fearlessness and he's still young, so it will heal quicker.

It’s 4am here and I’ve not even needed my alarm to wake me up, first thought was to check on little Wes.

Up until that I was so excited for the season, pasting the Europa League winners and everyone looking sharp.

It’d be ok if Evans was here but we’ve now just lost a number of points because of that injury before a ball is even kicked. He’s that good.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I doth my cap, there's a few milliseconds where he is.

You're generally an objective chap. Would you agree that as the bloke is sliding in, it looks like Wes is chasing after the ball and then Wes sticks his foot in an unpredictable spot compared to how he's running?

It can't just be me that's seeing this lol If Wes goes for the ball as it looks like he's about to then the bloke gets the ball and a bit of Wes, but because Wes throws his weight into his left leg, I'm assuming expecting a shoulder barge, it just ends horribly. 

No I don't agree he's sliding in, he jumps in and his foots above above the ball. He might well have been going for the ball, but that is a reckless attempt. 

Wes doesn't throw his weight onto his left leg. Their player is so high, his leg goes over the top of Wes (when he dangles a let to try and get the ball) and then from there his body weight pins his leg. 

It's a bit high, he's off the ground and not in control and a needless amount of force. 

I'm not going to sit here and say he meant it, I don't think many would want to injure another player. 

Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 09.25.17.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KFS said:

It’s 4am here and I’ve not even needed my alarm to wake me up, first thought was to check on little Wes.

Up until that I was so excited for the season, pasting the Europa League winners and everyone looking sharp.

It’d be ok if Evans was here but we’ve now just lost a number of points because of that injury before a ball is even kicked. He’s that good.

It's truly gut wrenching losing Fofana like that in a meaningless bloody game!..Nino should be ashamed of himself and I hope the c**t suffers a similar fate 🤬🤬. There was no need for that 'challenge' , no excuses, he has no defense whatsoever!

The whole performance by them was disgraceful, you don't go flying into dangerous tackles like that in a friendly FFS. Emery should take full responsibility for their game plan and aggression!!

Still feel sick after watching that last night, it will live on in my mind for a very long time.

This was going to be the season when we could revel in watching Wes's development into a top class defender, the season when he would benefit from playing in front of appreciative crowds. Sadly it won't be this season, but hopefully we can look forward to next season when he can pick up where he left off.

We travelled down from Preston for the game, my lad was in the club shop after buying the away kit with Fofana on the back, when in walked Top and my lad managed to get his picture with him, he was made up. 

The first hour of the game was superb and we were all buzzing with the great day and exciting performance, until that tackle changed the whole day. 

I had the misfortune to be in the West Stand and therefore have an “excellent” view of the challenge and I can assure you it was 100% premeditated with the aim to inflict a serious injury. 

How the ref and Emery allowed him to stay on the pitch after that incident is frankly unbelievable. From that moment on the rest of the evening and the 3 hour drive home was just one of numbness and truly gutted to see an exceptional talent suffer a serious injury. 

Just wish Wes a speedy recovery and hopefully he will be back stronger than ever.

Break & fracture are synonymous. 

I am a medical professional.

Regarding the injury, although little Wes says fractured fibula, given the degree of angulation of the foot and the force involved I will be surprised if there is not some associated ligament damage.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

No I don't agree he's sliding in, he jumps in and his foots above above the ball. He might well have been going for the ball, but that is a reckless attempt. 

Wes doesn't throw his weight onto his left leg. Their player is so high, his leg goes over the top of Wes (when he dangles a let to try and get the ball) and then from there his body weight pins his leg. 

It's a bit high, he's off the ground and not in control and a needless amount of force. 

I'm not going to sit here and say he meant it, I don't think many would want to injure another player. 

Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 09.25.17.png

I think he meant it.  In the context of what had just happened before, moments before following an accidental rake of the back of his ankle, sure he meant it.  That's not saying he went in with the mindset of breaking his leg, but certainly with the mindset of leaving something on him having just received the rake to the back of his ankle.

So yes, for me, pre-meditated and I'm surprised noone laid anything on him on that field of play in retaliation.  

I’m devastated because he was the best player on the pitch in the QPR game and last night. I was very excited about the kind of season he/we were going to have. Even a £80m replacement will leave us short of Fofana’s immense skill and dynamism. It’s totally gutting. 

3 minutes ago, ftfagos said:

Break & fracture are synonymous. 

I am a medical professional.

Regarding the injury, although little Wes says fractured fibula, given the degree of angulation of the foot and the force involved I will be surprised if there is not some associated ligament damage.

That may be so semantically, but we are all hoping his bone is not shattered as opposed to snapped in a simpler way. I believe the latter is easier to recover from. And then, as you say, there’s the concern about ligament damage on top. It’s so gutting this happened. 

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

Am I being naively over-optimistic in hoping that Wes's cheerful demeanour in his selfies and the fact that he was on crutches - rather than a leg brace - in hospital means that he might be back earlier than we think?

I had the same thought, but then I realised he's probably had that much gas and air, and a cocktail of other painkillers that he could have still been smiling after breaking every bone in his body

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Am I being naively over-optimistic in hoping that Wes's cheerful demeanour in his selfies and the fact that he was on crutches - rather than a leg brace - in hospital means that he might be back earlier than we think?

Or he's hard as nails!:wasyl:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Either way it'll be months mate.

Wouldn't be so bad if we had Evans fit and ready to go.

• Like 1