Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Fofana Injury

The ankle dislocation was pretty much known straight away and sorted (as much as can be). That's where I think there'll be the ligament damage. So while the fractured fibula injury is only that and time-frames for that can be relatively short, it's the ligaments around the ankle dislocation which could take months to recover from. 

• Like 1

So my husband dislocated his shoulder. He had to have surgery and a screw fitted and has been off work unable to do anything for 5 months due to the ligament damage. It would have been better to have a break. That is my worry with Wes. Yes he has a fracture but the dislocation and possible ligament damage is more of a worry.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The ankle dislocation was pretty much known straight away and sorted (as much as can be). That's where I think there'll be the ligament damage. So while the fractured fibula injury is only that and time-frames for that can be relatively short, it's the ligaments around the ankle dislocation which could take months to recover from. 

This makes way more sense and yep that will be what needs really careful rehab.

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I slid down the middle of the escalator on the tube at Oxford Circus pissed up for a laugh after Knockaert scored the winner at home to Wolves in 2012/13. Shattered my coccyx and couldn't sit down for 6 months. 

If Fofana is back inside that then its a miracle. 

But you're an absolute animal Ric, a freak of nature if you will, we're talking about a little Wes here, not comparable imo

• Haha 1

In my younger days; a goalie once rolled over my leg as I was side footing the ball in the back of the net. We all heard a crack and guessed it was a break. Later, down the LRI, the doc reported back after viewing X -rays etc and said I have bad news: no break but your ligaments are torn. I never realised they could go with such a crack.

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Hales said:

So my husband dislocated his shoulder. He had to have surgery and a screw fitted and has been off work unable to do anything for 5 months due to the ligament damage. It would have been better to have a break. That is my worry with Wes. Yes he has a fracture but the dislocation and possible ligament damage is more of a worry.

All depends on the extent of the injury I suppose..

Alun Wyn Jones dislocated his shoulder in a warm up game for the Lions tour and everyone thought that was him done.. 18 days later and he’s starting the first test against South Africa!

Can’t imagine it’ll be the same scenario for little Wes, but just got to hope and pray 🙏 

• Like 3

Probably been posted but.....

Villarreal forward Fer Nino has apologised for the tackle that left Leicester defender Wesley Fofana with a broken leg, saying: "At no time was it my intention to harm him."

Nino challenged French centre-back Fofana during a pre-season friendly between the sides on Wednesday.

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers called it a "horrendous challenge".

He said Fofana, 20, needed another scan to determine how long he will be out for as the ankle was "so swollen".

"I am writing to publicly apologise, having already done so privately with him," Nino wrote on Instagram.

"At no time was it my intention to harm him, as unfortunately happened.

"I sincerely hope that he has a speedy recovery and can return to the pitch as soon as possible to continue showing that he is a footballer of the highest level."

Rodgers said Villarreal manager Unai Emery had apologised for the challenge "straight away".

"He's going to be a huge loss for us," said Rodgers, speaking in the build-up to Saturday's Community Shield against Manchester City.

"It was a horrendous challenge and we're obviously devastated for him.

"The medical team looked after him and the trauma doctor had to put his ankle back in place before went to hospital.

"The ankle was so swollen it was not safe to be looked at so he will have another scan, which should give a clear indication of how long he will be out."

As Jonny Evans is still to recover from the foot injury that forced him out of the FA Cup final win over Chelsea in May, Rodgers says he may now need to sign another central defender.

"It is something we will have to look at because we are definitely light in the central defensive area," he said.

"We have a small list of players to look at. There are people who are identified, so we will see."

The good news is that, unlike the general public, Wesley Fofana is going to have access to world class medical facilities and physiotherapist, that will enhance his rehabilitation and get him back up to speed. 

As many have said, the break isn’t the issue really, as that’ll heal fairly quickly. It’s the ankle ligament damage and how that heals. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drumbeat said:

Hmmmm.... I wonder when that was? Looked to me like he made away sharpish  with a 'take that you c****' look on his face.  Apologised to BR perhaps but it's all a bit convenient to say that now.

....I took the statement as him saying he had apologised directly to Fofana!!!

Players have a way of contacting each other and I suspect that was what he meant.

8 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I took the statement as him saying he had apologised directly to Fofana!!!

Players have a way of contacting each other and I suspect that was what he meant.

ye i mean he is literally on the same team as an ex leicester player, so would be trivially easy for him to get in touch with people at the club. on that note i still hate him.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I slid down the middle of the escalator on the tube at Oxford Circus pissed up for a laugh after Knockaert scored the winner at home to Wolves in 2012/13. Shattered my coccyx and couldn't sit down for 6 months. 

If Fofana is back inside that then its a miracle. 

I've seen folk stack it off those tube rails. I need to know - was it worth it? It looks ace fun for a short while, 

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

(skipping past all of your war stories as it turns out I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to things pointing the wrong way)

The most infuriating thing about it is that all our injuries in the last 2 years you could argue were either avoidable (i.e could/should have been rested but had no alternative) or just profoundly unlucky in the way they injured themselves (Ricardo/JJ/Harvey).

This however was downright malicious. 3-0 up in a pre-season friendly, the ball on the halfway line and posing no threat whatsoever. Two footed challenge with a sinister little twist in the middle of it. He's literally assaulted him for no real reason, put him in hospital and jeopardised his career. It's the sort of tackle that players get extended bans for.

It feels a bit like we've been cheated to be honest, a bit like Mane's last minute dive. Things were going so well until then but it's now it's feeling so bleak. 

It's been some absolutely terrible luck. Even last night Fofana was due to be subbed about 5 minutes later.

It makes you sick. Nothing more infuriating than losing players in that sort of way as you'll just forever wonder what if. Could end up making the difference and the season hasn't even kicked off.

Just hope he comes back strongly. I'm weirdly confident he will do. He seems relatively unfased by it, posting a picture like that of himself on the night, retweeing the video of it, he just doesn't seem all that shaken. Definitely not showing it if he does.

The worst thing about any injury is them not coming back to be anything like they were beforehand. I reckon there's going to be a sad realisation with Liverpool fans in the next few months that they may have seen the best of Van Dijk.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've slept on it and I'm still absolutely livid.

That and saddened too.

Fer has apologised personally and publicly. Says he didn't intend harm. 

Sure, and everybody who ends up before the beak accused of some act of spur-of-the-moment violence pleads not guilty with extenuating circumstances - usually that they've had a skinful.

The YT highlights I saw showed City, as you state, in the kind of 'purring' form we know they are consistently capable of when the squad isn't awash with injuries.

Maybe there was a sense of shock in the Villarreal team at encountering a club from the Premier who were making them look ordinary - after they had overcome one of the 'flagship' outfits in the EC Final.

So, maybe Fer decided, after Wes had inflicted a little bit of his strength, skill and tenacity on him, that his (and his team's) pride had taken too much of a dent to let it go - so Wes had to pay for that.

A violent and cynical foul following a theatrical response to an innocuous tackle. A look of amazement from the perpetrator and that familiar ball-shaped hands movement as the ref thinks about reaching for his cards. A player quickly recovering when he's not been awarded a free kick or managed to convince the ref to call on a stretcher.

It's called the 'Latin' style.