Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
eblair

Ian Wright abuse today

If anyone at the match saw this happening then they witnessed a crime taking place. I understand why someone might choose not to confront those responsible at the time but there is no excuse for not reporting it afterwards. 

There are a number of posts in this thread from people who say they saw it happening. If they haven't done so already, I suggest those people call Leicester Police now with a description of what they witnessed. This will assist in rooting out the scum who did it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NAKC20 said:

I've not read all the posts but we were sat in Block 536 virtually straight above the TV Gantry. The stewarding that we saw was virtually none existent, there were people clearly bringing in bottles of beer to there seats, and tipping it over the front rail, the one steward who was nearest to us was obviously there to watch the match as he was cheering as much as us when Kelechi scored the penalty. Surely there is CCTV covering every seat and these people can be identified, I can even give seat numbers of where some of them where sat.

I suggest you email the club with those seat numbers.  Security was none existent too 😢

• Like 1

Guest MarshallForEngland
1 hour ago, Raj said:

No I'm not going to refute jack sh1t.

Your just bumbling along using words you probably dont even know what they mean.

I'm simply bored and fed up of trying to explain things to people who will still look at other scenarios  to justify their actions.

Do what you want.

I'm always here if you change your mind. I believe we could both learn from each other. I speak to everybody as if they know something I don't know yet. Try it if you haven't already, it makes life very enjoyable.

38 minutes ago, RichMC24 said:

Taking the knee isn’t really working though is it ? 

Pretty much making things worse.  

Good point. All these racists booing people protesting racism mean we need to find a way of protesting racism that doesn’t annoy racists. 

Edited by fleckneymike
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MarshallForEngland said:

I'm always here if you change your mind. I believe we could both learn from each other. I speak to everybody as if they know something I don't know yet. Try it if you haven't already, it makes life very enjoyable.

What would be an acceptable form of protest for BAME communities?

5 minutes ago, MarshallForEngland said:

No mate, I REALLY have said all I can on this and just end up getting more p1ssed off with the whole situation.

Theres alot of posters who have posted very well reasoned articulated responses and if none of that changes your mindset then nothing I say will.

• Like 1

The thing that irritates me about all this is football is usually a nice escape from the divisive and toxic discourse that seems to dominate society as a whole. 

You could be a brexiter or a remainer. Conservative or Labour. Woke or anti woke (whatever the Fuch that is). Left wing communist scum or a right wing nazi bastard But for 90 minutes we are all Leicester City unified, All wanting the same thing. 

Yet here we are the day after beating Premier league champions man City for only the 7th piece of silverware in its 137 year history and here we are calling each other idiots and neanderthals! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Line-X said:

"Kick Racism out of Football"? We should have coined this in the 70s and 80s instead of turning a blind eye. As has been mentioned, if you didn't participate in the chants, you ignored it which is no different to tacit approval. It was ****ing abhorrent - and it was considered the norm. The clubs didn't act either, they let it fester - partly because it wasn't simply confined to the terraces - it was more deeply entrenched than that.

I remember occasionally watching Chelsea in the eighties (I lived across the water in Battersea). The NF were permitted to have a stand on match days on the concourse outside the bridge - small wonder that Paul Canoville used to be abused by his own fans during pre match warm up. Not hard to understand the ease at which Combat18 affiliation thrived amongst the hooligan element. In response, some members of the Independent Chelsea Supporters Club were violently targeted and assaulted for recognising the problem and daring to speak out. I don't believe in having a second club, (I've supported City since the age of nine), but I do have great affection for QPR who I used to watch regularly at home and like us at the time, were the perennial underdogs - not a plastic in sight. In the same borough as Chelsea, always seen as the poorer cousins, but the difference even then in the match day experience was pronounced. Probably owes to the much greater sense of community and belonging at the club and the intimacy of Loftus Road. 

As many have also said, I have never booed any individual at a football match - a VAR on-screen decision, perhaps - and of course goading opposing fans. Got flamed yesterday for calling out the very tired and predictable "you're shit aaaaaaaaahhhh" chant, which apparently is harmless fun. But when there are kids being encouraged to join in by their 'parents' and 'innocently' hurl abuse from behind the goal at the keeper - what message does it engender and where does it lead next when they discover alcohol?

Apologies, back to the point,  Football hooliganism was considered a very serious problem for the game throughout the 1970s and 1980s resulting in a series of radical changes in response. There were a number of statutory provisions that could be used against those involved in both the propagation of inflammatory racial material and racist chanting and the Football Offences Act 1991 was a long time coming - but the clubs should have acted sooner to cut out and purge this cancer from their terraces. 

Great insight in this post.

I'm sorry and do have to apologise as am 50 now but still do this!!!!

Sorry!!!! Lol

Problem with taking the knee isn't the taking of it its rather that hypocritical organizations like the premier league uefa and fifa don't actually do anything to combat racism when it does happen. Remember Bulgaria against England? Their chairman who looked the other way to Bulgarian ultras shouting abuse at players is still in charge. This is the true issue. Less talk more action needed. 

2 hours ago, Claridge said:

What an idiotic thing to post

I love having my mind changed about things if I’m wrong and I love listening to opposing viewpoints. Please explain to me why it’s idiotic and in what ways and why I’m wrong. I’d genuinely like to hear what you think. Thank you. X 

Guest MarshallForEngland
1 hour ago, fleckneymike said:

Should I boo the union flag or the cross of Saint George because some fat right groups have appropriated them? 

How many times do the FA and players have to explain it has nothing to do with BLM before we consider that perhaps people are booing the knee because they  are a teeny bit racist? 

I think the fact that at the beginning it clearly was to do with BLM is very hard to deny. Sports commentators literally said the words "Black Lives Matter" while they were doing it, those words were on the screen during a lot of broadcasts, as well as on display in stadiums. "Black Lives Matter" rallies in which those words were chanted became heavily associated with taking the knee as videos emerged of police and even members of the public being cajoled into getting down on one knee. BLM was trending on social media at the time and a lot of people were red-faced when it became apparent that the organisation had some pretty questionable ideological objectives such as dismantling the nuclear family and abolishing the police. Now everybody is being asked to split hairs and accept pretend that none of this ever happened, even acting as if those who make the connection are themselves the unreasonable ones.

The other side to this is that for many people, BLM is just an organised faction of a broader ideology which has grown in numbers and confidence in the past few years. Many people reject this ideology and don't want it to take over the institutions they hold dear. Even without official connection to BLM, it still makes a lot of people feel uneasy. To me, when I see everybody getting down on one knee, it reminds me of religious congregations raising their hands in prayer. It looks more like a performative ritual which has almost reached an almost sacral status. I have no problem with people expressing their religious beliefs, but if a particular religious ritual became an established part of football I would feel a bit uneasy, even if those doing it said it was for a good cause. I'd feel even more uneasy if it became apparent that most players were simply not able to say no to it even if privately they didn't want to do it. That's just my view, I understand others may have their own reasons for supporting or not supporting the gesture and I respect everybody's right to express what they feel about, booing included.

By the way yes, if you want to boo the national flag, go for it. That's your choice, you have the freedom to do that. I wouldn't think it meant you were seditious, treasonous, monstrous, potentially violent, should be banned from games etc. It's your choice and more power to you.

Edited by MarshallForEngland

27 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

That makes a lot of sense, but I don’t necessarily agree. I do think a lot of people who boo are racist, but I think some people are inclined to jeer because they feel it is not the right context for political statements. 

I don’t agree with people that boo, but I feel uncomfortable when people are told they can’t have an opinion. When some people disagree with taking the knee and they are instantly disregarded as racist knuckle-draggers - I don’t think they all are.

Allowing people to express opinions and then debating them is much more sensible in my opinion. I don’t agree with a previous poster who said you can’t educate some - I’m actually shocked by the extent of the contempt for others who don’t share a certain opinion. 

Many people have been converted from extreme political views whether facist or fundamentalist or others. I am positive that there is more good than bad in most people and if their voice is heard then they are more likely to engage in the debates that ultimately lead them to change their opinions.

Thank goodness for a bit of common sense. Well spoken.

7 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

The thing that irritates me about all this is football is usually a nice escape from the divisive and toxic discourse that seems to dominate society as a whole. 

You could be a brexiter or a remainer. Conservative or Labour. Woke or anti woke (whatever the Fuch that is). Left wing communist scum or a right wing nazi bastard But for 90 minutes we are all Leicester City unified, All wanting the same thing. 

Yet here we are the day after beating Premier league champions man City for only the 7th piece of silverware in its 137 year history and here we are calling each other idiots and neanderthals! 

There’s a difference between wanting to stay in the  EU or not and black people being killed by police though right? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MGLCFC said:

I've seen it away games. These so called fans stay in the pub as close to kick off time as possible downing as many drinks as they can. They then stagger into the away end barging into people, refusing to sit in their allocated seats, threatening and being abusive to anyone who stands up to them. At the 40 minute mark off they go to the concourse for more alcohol (if they've lasted that long without needing to urinate, or worse still, they do it where they are). They come back and all they do is be abusive to proper supporters or those on the playing surface. I feel ashamed and embarrassed listening to such vitriol. Rant over.

The near 18 months away from grounds has allowed it to be forgotten what an unpleasant experience attending football can be at times. And sadly from people on your side, people following the same team.

It staggers me the lack of respect and consideration for other people that some seem to have and often revel in. I don't want a sanitised atmosphere but the aggression, nastiness, general obnoxious behaviour of an element of fans is disgusting.

At home games I'm fortunate that people around me are decent, thoughtful people- we don't suffer the issues you've highlighted. Certainly away games, when I used to go regularly, were an issue.

Unfortunately I fear we're going to be reading a lot more of this stuff as the season progresses.

47 minutes ago, RichMC24 said:

Taking the knee isn’t really working though is it ? 

Pretty much making things worse.  

What would you suggest???

Kick it out hasnt worked.

Kick out racism hasnt eradicated it.

Taking the knee offends the knuckle draggers.

T shirts worn by posters is just tokenism.

Trying to get more non white fans into games to dilute the racism is classed as favoritism.

Black players talking about stuff  should just get on with it because they get paid a shed load of money and should accept it.

Young white players buying houses for their mum is so so loving yet when a black player does it hes showing off (This was a Man city youth player story I think a few years ago- someone can correct me if I'm wrong?)

Getting more black ex players as pundits is "Why do THEY get the jobs...they cant speak properly"( Alex Scott getting grief this week cos of the way she talks...cos ALL white ex players talk like the queen innit?????)

Seriously WHAT can be done...I'm genuinely  interested?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fact we're arguing over whether "Irish ****" is racist or whether booing the knee taking is legitimate, is just missing the point, and is part of the problem. Which is that absolutely nobody is forcing these people to go to a football game and dish out personal, racist abuse to people around them. I enjoy the tribalness of football fandom and I admit to quite liking the "you're shit...." chant that was discussed last night, but shouting hateful abuse at people is totally baffling.

My own opinion is that this arises partially from the fact we're quite a repressed nation where people often feel quite powerless. This comes through in the billy big bollocks attitude of the drunk pond life who think after five lagers they're a big man by abusing someone who appears to be in a more powerful position than them, but in the context of the football is powerless to stop them. You see this with the abuse players get over their families (Vardy, Beckham), I have witnessed it at away games (a group hurling abuse at a black security guard at Forest springs to mind, followed up by them screaming "fenian bastard" at Neil Lennon), it manifested itself yesterday in these lads abusing the two presenters below them. Makes them feel good, that and the lager lets them play the big man for once and forget about their miserable lives.

We've seen this in political developments in recent years where people seem to be motivated mostly by sticking it to the elite or whatever. Two fingers up at everyone else.

This is exacerbated by the fact that we constantly make excuses for these morons. As we've seen in this thread. For a nation that habitually votes conservative we don't seem to really appreciate personal responsibility very well. Nasty marxist footballers are not making you shout racist obscenities. You don't have to get pissed up any time you come to the capital for an away game. Get a grip of yourselves and if you can't, you should be banned. 

• Like 4

Guest MarshallForEngland
11 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

What would be an acceptable form of protest for BAME communities?

My apologies, I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean what form of protest would it be acceptable for BAME communities to engage in, or what form of protest against taking the knee would be approved by BAME communities? Or another meaning?

22 minutes ago, Lestagirl said:

I suggest you email the club with those seat numbers.  Security was none existent too 😢

People keep saying this. Am I going crazy or was there not a mass security breach at this exact venue about a month ago? Cannot believe it.

3 minutes ago, MarshallForEngland said:

My apologies, I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean what form of protest would it be acceptable for BAME communities to engage in, or what form of protest against taking the knee would be approved by BAME communities? Or another meaning?

No - in your eyes what is the best form of protest that BAME communities should use? If taking the knee hasn't worked, any all the other alternatives, what is acceptable for you?