Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
eblair

Ian Wright abuse today

22 minutes ago, MPH said:

its so painful to associated with those people in any way shape or form.

I have to be careful how I say this as there have been plenty of good people  condemning what went on, but if those were forest fans there would be a thread as long as my arm condemning the vile scumbags.

More people should be outraged by this…. Maybe people just are not aware what happened.

I don’t know but it all makes me very sad.

Painful might not be the right word for me, though do use it if you feel it fits; victims of racism must find that truly painful and I personally wouldn't want to assume we're going through something similar. For me it's just distressing - the fact I have to share a football club, a country, and a race with these people is so distressing. And I can't do anything about it. Their behaviour seems to reflect on my character, when it shouldn't. I just don't know how to get them to change their behaviour.

Wasn't anywhere near Wrighty today but a mate that was said he wasn't aware of the abuse so I guess (hope) it really is a small proportion. 

But christ, when they took the knee and I heard the boos my heart sunk. Credit to all those around me who just started clapping harder when they heard it. I wonder whether a cheer to try to drown boos out could work? I did consider whether if I'd heard it from someone in shouting distance I'd have had a go at them or not. I'd like to think so but who knows until it happens. 

Well aware it's a supposed "wider issue" with taking the knee. But I'm my view the booing of it is completely uncalled for and strongly points towards racism.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Painful might not be the right word for me, though do use it if you feel it fits; victims of racism must find that truly painful and I personally wouldn't want to assume we're going through something similar. For me it's just distressing - the fact I have to share a football club, a country, and a race with these people is so distressing. And I can't do anything about it. Their behaviour seems to reflect on my character, when it shouldn't. I just don't know how to get them to change their behaviour.

i think we are saying the same thing but using different words 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FoxOnWheels said:

What fvcking idiots would abuse Wrighty after he’s one of the only pundits that bigs us up and shows us respect constantly, I always get the feeling he wants us to win these kind of games too 

Exactly. He pretty much said as much too. He must be truly depressed tonight and just unable to get his head around the thinking of these types of people. 

Final at Wembley. Winners. A pundit who is always positive about us. A national treasure. And he gets that abuse? It's beyond my comprehension. Identify and ban them. Only way. 

• Like 3

I know it's not exactly the same, but the revulsion I have for fans abusing Wrighty or our players taking the knee today is simialr to that I felt towards the West Brom fans who ruined the minute's silence & last post at our Remembrance Day fixture two years running because of James McClean being in their side.

You can disagree with the politics of a gesture all you want, but there are ways to do so without trying to disrupting those taking part. Booing players taking a knee is ridiculous. You don't have to applaud them if you don't like what they stand for, but when you vocally express displeasure - usually for bone-headed reasons as the (almost entirely English) fans chanting James McClean's name over the silence showed me - you single yourself out as a clueless moron who probably doesn't have anyone's best interests at heart.

The problem is, this time they're part of our club. :nono:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

I know it's not exactly the same, but the revulsion I have for fans abusing Wrighty or our players taking the knee today is simialr to that I felt towards the West Brom fans who ruined the minute's silence & last post at our Remembrance Day fixture two years running because of James McClean being in their side.

You can disagree with the politics of a gesture all you want, but there are ways to do so without trying to disrupting those taking part. Booing players taking a knee is ridiculous. You don't have to applaud them if you don't like what they stand for, but when you vocally express displeasure - usually for bone-headed reasons as the (almost entirely English) fans chanting James McClean's name over the silence showed me - you single yourself out as a clueless moron who probably doesn't have anyone's best interests at heart.

The problem is, this time they're part of our club. :nono:

I get what your saying, I think rational people can dislike the constant need to take the knee without feeling like they need to racially abuse people because of it. It’s worrying that some people don’t like it because it’s for equality instead of because of any rational reason 

25 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Why don't you just admit you lost this round of your endless culture war, and move on to the next bit of cooked-up, divisive nonsense.

I said I supported players taking the knee, and I said I don't approve of booing.

To try and tarnish me just for trying to understand both sides is the definition of divisive behaviour.

I honestly have never understood when people say club x’s fans are racist.... we are all from the same country, we all have racists among us unfortunately. It’s a societal problem and I think it’s just foolish to tar a club by the supporters. I don’t think anyone can argue that there is a club out there that are responsible for the racism? 

whether that’s Chelsea, millwall or ourselves... the fact is football gives these idiots the platform for hate, simply because it’s a game in which hate from the stands is seen as normal and leads to vile people thinking abusing someone for their ethnicity is the same as abusing someone for being cr*p

Edited by Lambert09

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

The problem with this type of thinking, is that it overlooks the fact that a lot, if not the majority of people booing the kneeling, are indeed racists. I imagine everyone of those idiots who racially abused Ian Wright also booed the kneeling the loudest. 

By being a non racist but also joining in booing the players with the racists, you are only emboldening them. 

Surely the best action if you are against racism but don't support the kneeling, is to simply not cheer it.

There is nothing more devisive than booing something that the players have made 100% clear is about unity against racism.

I have no doubt the people who abused Ian Wright are racists, and I fully expect they booed the knee, because they oppose racial justice.

But SOME people boo the knee, because they see it as an act of subversion.

We have no way of knowing how many are racists, and how many are anti-Communists. To presume the majority ARE racists, is false.

Some people see ideological subversion (or whatever you want to call it, 'wokeness', 'identity politics') as a serious threat, the thin end of the wedge. They will never cheer it on, if they think it's a disguise for something insidious.

• Like 2