Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
eblair

Ian Wright abuse today

I believe we were four rows behind the people who did this.

My wife pointed out an altercation in front of us. Previously I had thought it was three lads shouting to their friends in the tier below. They were also collecting clappers and flags and throwing them into the stand below.

These lads did not have any Leicester paraphernalia and had broad London accents. There were many people fitting this description in our stand and most were roaring drunk. I have found out since that Brent Council made tickets available to local residents. 

One of them began to push an old man, probably in his 60s. A younger man with a child intervened. It turned out it was dad, son and grandson. One of the lads was pushing at the younger man who was still holding the hand of his child. Despite the provocative he walked away, receiving abuse the whole way, and told a steward. 

The steward, a young Asian lad, looked frightened but told the lads to leave. One particular lad, he appeared to be the ringleader, got in the steward's face and was intimidating the steward by dancing and waving his arms in front of him. They then left.

When we left, we saw the old man and asked him if he was OK. He said he was but told us that he told these lads off for throwing things at 'Emile Heskey and Roy Keane'. This is why the pushing and shoving started. I believe he had miss-identified Ian Wright.

My wife has already reported this to the club and joined Twitter just to try to contact Ian Wright. 

The bottom line is - they were almost certainly not Leicester fans.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tuna said:

I love Wrighty blokes an absolute legend one of Football's good guys.

Agree - we need more like him, but people forget, he was a dirty bastard as a player.  

Putting aside the racial element, the amount of abuse in general given to other people is embarrassing, and for some reason people feel ok to do it at the football when the vast majority wouldn't dream of doing it anywhere else. If Robbie Savage or Chris Sutton were on the pundit team they would have copped shit loads of abuse as well, and people would probably laugh it off but why is it deemed ok to shout shit at people? 

People think it's acceptable behaviour at the football, yes drink is involved but a bet people don't go shouting abuse at everyone on a normal night out so why is it ok at the football. 

These people are going to ruin football for lots of other people.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MarshallForEngland said:

Please entertain the idea that in the minds of those you disagree, this is not the unresolvable paradox you claim it is. There are two reasons why it might appear to you to be a contradiction:

1. The people booing taking the knee are both racist against and supportive of non-white players simultaneously

2. You have wrongly assumed at least one of those to be true when it fact it's not

I believe that the second option is much more likely. The people you dismiss as illiterate and incapable of critical thought are, generally speaking, not the foaming-at-the-mouth racists you believe they are. They either don't like politics in football regardless of the message, or they disagree that such a gesture is necessary given the general societal consensus we have reached regarding racism, or they disagree with the submissive nature of taking the knee, or they believe this is the thin end of an ideological wedge and they do not want to see taking over football, or one or more of a hundred other possible reasons.

The fact that they haven't read Das Kapital is absolutely irrelevant. One of the biggest problems with this ideology and those related to it (I'm talking about the current Social Justice / CRT movements) is that it uses complex language and a veneer of academic credibility to dress up belief as knowledge, so when somebody disagrees with a proponent of the ideology, they can be dismissed as ignorant and ill-educated. This is especially effective against people who haven't been to university or who are not well-versed in the jargon of the ideology they wish to reject. The arrogant dismissal of anybody who disagrees with the orthodoxy as ignorant, knuckle-dragging, thuggish, illiterate barbarians is unfortunately quite common on this forum.

“They either don't like politics in football regardless of the message, or they disagree that such a gesture is necessary given the general societal consensus we have reached regarding racism, or they disagree with the submissive nature of taking the knee, or they believe this is the thin end of an ideological wedge and they do not want to see taking over football, or one or more of a hundred other possible reasons.”

1) Racism isn’t a “political” issue, it’s an issue of whether you are a decent human being. The level of pigmentation in someone’s skin doesn’t impact on who they are as a person. 

2) “They disagree with the submissive nature of taking the knee”.

No one is asking people to take the knee, why does a football fan care if our players choose to take the knee? The players are of strong enough character to understand that it’s not a “submissive” act. It’s an act of empowerment. We all stand together irrespective of skin colour and we all kneel together irrespective of skin colour. It’s really not a hard concept to understand. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MarshallForEngland said:

Please entertain the idea that in the minds of those you disagree with, this is not the unresolvable paradox you claim it is. There are two reasons why it might appear to you to be a contradiction:

1. The people booing taking the knee are both racist against and supportive of non-white players simultaneously

2. You have wrongly assumed at least one of those to be true when it fact it's not

I believe that the second option is much more likely. The people you dismiss as illiterate and incapable of critical thought are, generally speaking, not the foaming-at-the-mouth racists you believe they are. They either don't like politics in football regardless of the message, or they disagree that such a gesture is necessary given the general societal consensus we have reached regarding racism, or they disagree with the submissive nature of taking the knee, or they believe this is the thin end of an ideological wedge and they do not want to see taking over football, or one or more of a hundred other possible reasons.

The fact that they haven't read Das Kapital is absolutely irrelevant. One of the biggest problems with this ideology and those related to it (I'm talking about the current Social Justice / CRT movements) is that it uses complex language and a veneer of academic credibility to dress up belief as knowledge, so when somebody disagrees with a proponent of the ideology, they can be dismissed as ignorant and ill-educated. This is especially effective against people who haven't been to university or who are not well-versed in the jargon of the ideology they wish to reject. The arrogant dismissal of anybody who disagrees with the orthodoxy as ignorant, knuckle-dragging, thuggish, illiterate barbarians is unfortunately quite common on this forum.

I'm sorry but we keep hearing the same drivel. Fact is that the players themselves have said its because they are tired of the racist abuse they receive and this is why they are doing it. If you don't support that then forget all the other excuses. Just don't boo. You don't have to clap but just don't boo. 

Edited by hejammy
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

I’m sorry I don’t think booing taking the knee is in itself racist.

You're right. It isn't. Not in theory anyway. In practice, I dunno. I'd wager there's a high correlation, let's put it that way. I doubt many (if any) are booing 'taking the knee' as anti- Marxist statement.

I think there's a danger in overextending the logical possibility. It's crediting those booing with something they perhaps don't possess - and if they did, is booing really the way to register your intellectual opposition to a political ideology?

There is a conflation of issues here. There's taking the knee as a anti-racists gesture (which the players are doing, and simply that) and incorrectly  (IMHO) associating with it some kind of broader political aim or motivation. 

Taking the knee is simply an anti-racist statement. Don't over intellectualise it. Drop your theoretical opposition to it and recognise it for what it is. Opposing a simp!e anti-racist statement almost by definition makes you racist. 

First of all I deplore the abuse levelled at Roy Keane and Ian Wright. The fans who did this have no place in our football club and I for one would be delighted if they were identified and we never saw them again at a City match.

On the issue of taking the knee I tend to differ. I disagree with it completely mainly because until the George Floyd incident and the violent protests in London, tearing down of statues etc we had hardly heard of it in this country and certainly did not practice it. It is the practice of taking the knee which is the issue because of its association to those days and its links to the BLM political cause. I agree with the sentiment but I don't agree with the symbolical gesture and I expect others feel the same. Standing quietly is not the solution since it can be seen as giving passive support to the gesture. It is the knee which is the problem, not the message and I feel some other means of showing support for kicking racism out of football (and elsewhere) needs to be found, with a gesture we can all actively support.

Where anti racism works is in those places where different races and cultures have become integrated and it pleases me immensely to see our support consisting of colours and cultures from all over the world supporting a multi cultural team and with one aim in view. 

• Like 1

Embarrassed and disgusted to hear Ian Wright's comments this morning. Sadly though, I am not surprised. In my experience there has always been an undertone of racist attitudes/thuggish behaviour amongst a very small minority of our fanbase, which have soured some of the bigger moments from the last few years (see Seville and the pre-match in Plaza Major, Madrid), which we saw again yesterday. These people are completely out of touch with what this club stands for and should be banned.

9 minutes ago, stourbridgefox said:

I believe we were four rows behind the people who did this.

My wife pointed out an altercation in front of us. Previously I had thought it was three lads shouting to their friends in the tier below. They were also collecting clappers and flags and throwing them into the stand below.

These lads did not have any Leicester paraphernalia and had broad London accents. There were many people fitting this description in our stand and most were roaring drunk. I have found out since that Brent Council made tickets available to local residents. 

One of them began to push an old man, probably in his 60s. A younger man with a child intervened. It turned out it was dad, son and grandson. One of the lads was pushing at the younger man who was still holding the hand of his child. Despite the provocative he walked away, receiving abuse the whole way, and told a steward. 

The steward, a young Asian lad, looked frightened but told the lads to leave. One particular lad, he appeared to be the ringleader, got in the steward's face and was intimidating the steward by dancing and waving his arms in front of him. They then left.

When we left, we saw the old man and asked him if he was OK. He said he was but told us that he told these lads off for throwing things at 'Emile Heskey and Roy Keane'. This is why the pushing and shoving started. I believe he had miss-identified Ian Wright.

My wife has already reported this to the club and joined Twitter just to try to contact Ian Wright. 

The bottom line is - they were almost certainly not Leicester fans.

Good that you have contacted Ian Wright to point out it wasn't Leicester supporters, but the sad thing is most of the Media has already written it was Leicester fans and the damage to our club has already been done

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Putting aside the racial element, the amount of abuse in general given to other people is embarrassing, and for some reason people feel ok to do it at the football when the vast majority wouldn't dream of doing it anywhere else. If Robbie Savage or Chris Sutton were on the pundit team they would have copped shit loads of abuse as well, and people would probably laugh it off but why is it deemed ok to shout shit at people? 

People think it's acceptable behaviour at the football, yes drink is involved but a bet people don't go shouting abuse at everyone on a normal night out so why is it ok at the football. 

These people are going to ruin football for lots of other people.

For all the talk of how great it is the fans will be back, and in the main it is, we'll still have the minority ruining it for everyone. Look at the Euros- mostly well-behaved, good natured then the others get involved.

Embarrassing, really. And depressing too.

I really hope that these fans are season ticket holders or members at least, I hope that LCFC are able to identify these muppets from the seats they had and ban them for life. We don’t need idiots in our fan base and losing their season tickets would hopefully give normal fans chance of a season ticket 

5 hours ago, flanimal said:

I have no doubt the people who abused Ian Wright are racists, and I fully expect they booed the knee, because they oppose racial justice.

But SOME people boo the knee, because they see it as an act of subversion.

We have no way of knowing how many are racists, and how many are anti-Communists. To presume the majority ARE racists, is false.

Some people see ideological subversion (or whatever you want to call it, 'wokeness', 'identity politics') as a serious threat, the thin end of the wedge. They will never cheer it on, if they think it's a disguise for something insidious.

The protests and unrest associated with the BLM movement are over and have been for a while.

These footballers are multimillionaires living in their own little bubble. They're not concerned with cultural Marxism or ideological subversion. They're showing solidarity with their friends/teammates that have been subjected to vile racist abuse as recently as four weeks ago. It is literally that simple.

They were not endorsing the actions of a movement that indulged in mindless, opportunistic violence under the guise of fighting racial injustice. 

Edited by Danizen

I'm not sure the booing of taking the knee is separate

It's been made abundantly clear it is a sign of unity not a political statement

But still the boos from a minority of fans.

It seems to indicate that there is a racist element to this abhorant response.

This is only my personal take on this topic.

If it is just a stance based on the belief of it being perceived as a political statement, then I would be more than willing to stand corrected.