Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We absolutely need a new right winger but since Fofana got injured a CB had to be the priority.

We can't sign another as well as Vestergaard though as our squad limits simply wouldn't allow for it without excluding a key midfielder or forward.

I don’t think we were signing a RW anyway, as I’ve noted more than once this summer.  The CB meltdown is a convenient excuse to justify it but we had basically no hard links with anybody.  I don’t think it was happening.  I firmly believe Rodgers thinks Perez and Albrighton are good enough.

I’m becoming more and more up for this. We’ve clearly been after him for a while which I hope bodes well and neutralizes any issues I’m told by Saints fans.

But I will soon change my mind if he grows his hair and gets that awful long hair / mullet thing going again - dreadful. Keep it short Yannik.

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The best thing about this is, he's completely different to our other CB's. Soyuncu and Fofana are the athletic and modern aggressive centre backs, Evans is the linchpin who holds everything together. Vestergaard is just a man mountain that will clear everything in the box and uses the ball brilliantly too. As someone put it before, he's the 2nd central defender, he'll let Soyuncu or Fofana attack the ball and he'll drop back.

Hope he does well here, if we play that stupid high line though and/or use him in a back 3 doing so then it'll be a blood bath.

This. Although that line is suicidal whoever we play. Hopefully this signing will avoid us gifting so many chances of that ilk.

1 minute ago, Mark said:

One injury to Barnes and we're done for again though, it's too big a risk to just leave things as they are.

My enjoyment of football has actually decreased over the last 18 months, because of the expectation that someone is about to get a long term injury. I think Harvey is the one that we simply cannot replace and it really doesn't bare thinking about.

5 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don’t think we were signing a RW anyway, as I’ve noted more than once this summer.  The CB meltdown is a convenient excuse to justify it but we had basically no hard links with anybody.  I don’t think it was happening.  I firmly believe Rodgers thinks Perez and Albrighton are good enough.

It's hard to truly believe it was a priority of ours, even though many in the know said we were after one and Rodgers said he wanted a striker and another winger/attacking midfielder when talking about the summer transfer plans.

Whatever, they placed less of a priority on it and always seemed to be planning to look at the loan market for one, which really narrows the pool of potential players.

As @Mark says, we are a Barnes injury away frawahuge problems again. We are nowhere near as dangerous a side without him. There's an argument we needed a back up for him AND the elusive top class right winger we are missing.

Just got to hope and pray Barnes can do a whole season and that Perez, Albrighton and Sowah have enough between them to keep us in the top 6 race.

6 minutes ago, Mark said:

One injury to Barnes and we're done for again though, it's too big a risk to just leave things as they are.

Maybe we should sign a left winger as back up for Barnes & then go big for a right winger next summer when we have more funds available.

2 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

Regards a winger remember the euphoria when we signed Under……place went wild, ultimately what did he actually deliver?

. .it just demonstrated that for once we were seriously attempting to resolve the need for one!!!

Just because it didn't work, does not mean we stop trying. 

8 minutes ago, Mark said:

You think so.  I think so.  55 million spent in other areas says Rodgers doesn’t.

To be linked with him over the last couple of seasons means that Rodgers and the club rate him and they think he has the right attitude for the club.  I don't think he's pulled up many trees at the Saints but he seemed quite handy for Denmark.  I'm just going to sit on the fence with this one!

Edited by Le Renard

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Just got to hope and pray Barnes can do a whole season and that Perez, Albrighton and Sowah have enough between them to keep us in the top 6 race.

Expect to see Castagne/Ricardo combo down the right at some point 

• Like 1

Just now, Blanchflower78 said:

Wouldn't rule out a late wide option coming in. As pointed out, we simply couldn't afford for Barnes to be out for any meaningful period. Suspect it would be someone who gives us options off either flank

Dan James or similar. Not sure Man U will do business with a direct rival though. 

Just now, Blanchflower78 said:

Wouldn't rule out a late wide option coming in. As pointed out, we simply couldn't afford for Barnes to be out for any meaningful period. Suspect it would be someone who gives us options off either flank

Dan James is the only real pacey option we’ve been linked with. Marked difference when Harv is out and how slow we become. 

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The best thing about this is, he's completely different to our other CB's. Soyuncu and Fofana are the athletic and modern aggressive centre backs, Evans is the linchpin who holds everything together. Vestergaard is just a man mountain that will clear everything in the box and uses the ball brilliantly too. As someone put it before, he's the 2nd central defender, he'll let Soyuncu or Fofana attack the ball and he'll drop back.

Hope he does well here, if we play that stupid high line though and/or use him in a back 3 doing so then it'll be a blood bath.

I think he'll be a threat in both boxes also and could nick a few goals over the course of a season, something that has been lacking from set pieces.

2 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Agreed but Rodgers said he wanted to try that combo before. 

Hopefully we won't need to. 

Hopefully he only said he wanted to try it out of necessity (injuries etc.) rather than as a viable option for us

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shane said:

Maybe we should sign a left winger as back up for Barnes & then go big for a right winger next summer when we have more funds available.

As long as we have a right winger comparable to Barnes then if we lost Barnes for any length of time we've still got a right winger giving us what Barnes does. I suppose the obvious answer is one who can play on either wing, step forward Dan James or Josip Brekalo.

• Like 2