Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

26 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So, we've just spent a reported £100million on a new training ground, with a loan secured against league and tv payments. We're about to spend god knows how much on a stadium expansion, which is not just extra seats but a complete redevelopment of the area with a hotel and an arena, so it's not gonna be cheap. 

You want us to ignore all of that, as well as the signings already made, a contract offer to Youri and, as it stands, no one has left yet. We're still at a stage in this journey to become a football super power where we are one bad transfer window from it all falling to pieces.  We over spend on the wrong players just for the sake of it and the work done over the last 4-5 years will all be undone. We can't just go about throwing money around like we're PSG or Man City just because of relaxed regulations surrounding FFP. 

We've built a reputation of being this club that is very measured in the decisions it makes, certainly with our transfer policy, a reputation that is envied by fans of other clubs up and down the country and beyond. You want us to potentially throw all of that away because a transfer isn't done within 24 hours? 

There's a reason our owners and the powers that be at Leicester City are successful in what they do and the likes of me and you are debating on the Internet about who we should and shouldn't sign, when our only experience of running a football club is on Football manager

Forget about the short term.

Resale value resale value resale value.

This is our chance now to really push for a champions league spot.

The club is in a fantastic position.

Going out and signing a winger I.E mandueke from PSV is only going to benefit us. Not just on League position but it's financially sound.

If this player costs 40m now he will be worth north 80m in a year or 2 he is that good and English Tax on top of that. If we don't sign him this window it will be 60m next summer.  A RW has to be priority this window without question unless we put Barnes on the Right and stick that Young lad on the Left who featured Pre season.

A CB is a must as well due to the assault on fofana.

All in all we will benefit from spending a bit more now while prices will be slightly lower and our finances will rocket up for the future.

It's not about having a transfer done in 24hrs it's about getting a replacement in almost 5 years there is a huge difference. 

Edited by Fox85
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Going out and signing a winger I.E mandueke from PSV is only going to benefit us. Not just on League position but it's financially sound.

If this player costs 40m now he will be worth north 80m in a year or 2 he is that good and English Tax on top of that. If we don't sign him this window it will be 60m next summer.  A RW has to be priority this window without question unless we put Barnes on the Right and stick that Young lad on the Left who featured Pre season.

All in all we will benefit from spending a bit more now while prices will be slightly lower and our finances will rocket up for the future.

It's not about having a transfer done in 24hrs it's about getting a replacement in almost 5 years there is a huge difference. 

So using Madueke as an example. You know for sure that a young lad who's played 18 months of top level football in a league that can hardly be described as "great" is going to be worth double what we pay for him in a years time? Based on what? Because he's listed as a wonder kid on football manager? For every Sancho there's a Demarai Gray.

We're not a club who can afford to take risks without having a back up plan in place i.e. selling one of our assets for double what we pay for their replacement. 

The fact that you can't spell his name right probably means you don't know much about him, other than what you've seen in YouTube.

You are correct though, the club is in a fantastic position both on and off the pitch. That's because we've been financially smart in what we do. Since Brendan has been here, we've gone from finishing 9th to 2 consecutive 5th place finishes, our 2nd and 3rd best seasons I might add, with an FA cup win and of course 2 consecutive seasons in Europe. We have one the best training facilities in Europe, just let that sink in on it's own. One of THE BEST IN EUROPE! and that didn't come cheap. We're about to expand the stadium, and not just the capacity of the stadium, but a development that should, and probably will, benefit the entire city, again, not cheap. 

Although I don't think we're in a pickle financially at all, we must be sailing close to the wind, and as I said, are one bad transfer window from it at least starting to come undone. We're not a super rich club, we're not a club that can throw many around. We're not a club that can continually take risks that a player MIGHT be worth double what we pay for them season after season. 

We are a team that young players must view favourably, we have created careers for Maguire, Mahrez, Chilwell and now Teilemans  Fofana and Maddison amongst others. But being attractive to those players isn't enough in it's own, their current parent clubs are now also wise to how lucky we've been with our outgoing transfers. We have to negotiate harder, we have to negotiate smarter and that also means we have to be more patient in the deals we do. Real life isn't a computer game, the risks are real, there's no way of resetting if it goes wrong. You only have to take a look at teams like Bolton, Portsmouth and Sunderland. Spending money they didn't have on the potential that they'd be ok didn't work out for them. Do you really want to take the risk of over spending when we already have a young and competitive squad? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So using Madueke as an example. You know for sure that a young lad who's played 18 months of top level football in a league that can hardly be described as "great" is going to be worth double what we pay for him in a years time? Based on what? Because he's listed as a wonder kid on football manager? For every Sancho there's a Demarai Gray.

We're not a club who can afford to take risks without having a back up plan in place i.e. selling one of our assets for double what we pay for their replacement. 

The fact that you can't spell his name right probably means you don't know much about him, other than what you've seen in YouTube.

You are correct though, the club is in a fantastic position both on and off the pitch. That's because we've been financially smart in what we do. Since Brendan has been here, we've gone from finishing 9th to 2 consecutive 5th place finishes, our 2nd and 3rd best seasons I might add, with an FA cup win and of course 2 consecutive seasons in Europe. We have one the best training facilities in Europe, just let that sink in on it's own. One of THE BEST IN EUROPE! and that didn't come cheap. We're about to expand the stadium, and not just the capacity of the stadium, but a development that should, and probably will, benefit the entire city, again, not cheap. 

Although I don't think we're in a pickle financially at all, we must be sailing close to the wind, and as I said, are one bad transfer window from it at least starting to come undone. We're not a super rich club, we're not a club that can throw many around. We're not a club that can continually take risks that a player MIGHT be worth double what we pay for them season after season. 

We are a team that young players must view favourably, we have created careers for Maguire, Mahrez, Chilwell and now Teilemans  Fofana and Maddison amongst others. But being attractive to those players isn't enough in it's own, their current parent clubs are now also wise to how lucky we've been with our outgoing transfers. We have to negotiate harder, we have to negotiate smarter and that also means we have to be more patient in the deals we do. Real life isn't a computer game, the risks are real, there's no way of resetting if it goes wrong. You only have to take a look at teams like Bolton, Portsmouth and Sunderland. Spending money they didn't have on the potential that they'd be ok didn't work out for them. Do you really want to take the risk of over spending when we already have a young and competitive squad? 

Yes..

Spend spend spend!!

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

In short.......

This season Yes 

Apologies for putting a N in Madueke.

Obviously I think he is the MAN to take us to the top.

2 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

In short.......

This season Yes 

You lose all credibility in your arguement for the god awful pun :doh:

But, for arguments sake, we sign Madueke for £40million, he's completely doggo, then what.......???

We're skint, we can't afford transfers next summer, players leave, covering the cost of our over spending this summer, and we go from 5th to 8th, then to 9th, then to 15th.....

That's the reality that we have to avoid

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yeah I think you're expecting too much from posters on here. This is no place for common sense posts. 

• Like 2

Just now, Fox85 said:

In short.......

This season Yes 

Despite the fact we have just released a lot of experience? Despite the fact we have just lost for an unknown amount of time, our experienced head at the back?

It was arguably a cool experienced head we needed at the end of last season, not another prospect.

19 minutes ago, FLINTHAMFC said:

Yeah I think you're expecting too much from posters on here. This is no place for common sense posts. 

That is a very fair and accurate summing up😠

32 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

In the same manner though, how could our club take the view that Fofana was worth paying £30m for after 19 senior men's football games? We absolutely make these projections as a club.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fox85 said:

Easy to gamble with some else's money. 

We have lost 80m in the last two season, our wage to turn over was 85% in 2019, 105% in (Mainly due to COVID)

We have a massive infrastructure project being announced this week, which need funding.

Our owner has had to deal with major down turn in his core business due to COVID.

We have already spent 45m. 

I think you are asking a lot.

Edited by coolhandfox

Of course it's a gamble. You only have to look at that winger playing in the Dutch league that FT'ers were demanding we signed a couple of seasons back that ended up at Brighton. Jahanbakhsh - not a success after tearing it up at Feyenoord. 

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

In the same manner though, how could our club take the view that Fofana was worth paying £30m for after 19 senior men's football games? We absolutely make these projections as a club.

Absolutely but that was in an area we were short in. 

Currently we have our own prospects for a right wing spot, we didn't have too many options at centre back.

Who's to say we don't go into each summer looking at one position that we need to fill in the future? Last season was Fofana at centre back, and if we're being honest probably wasn't brought in to play as many games as he did. This season we've brought in Daka, who in all probability, is to replace Jamie in a year or 2.

We don't know how Rodgers views Sowah or Maswanhise? Is Madueke going to be any better than them in a few years time? 

As it stands, agree or not, Rodgers might not see Right Wing as a desperate need. Centre back however, is most certainly a desperate need.

We may have been looking to fill the right wing spot, let's be honest, none of us really know. We may still be looking at it, and if we do decide to spend another £50-£60 million then so be it. But I'm sure it'll be a decision made carefully rather than just throwing money around just because we can. 

The idea that we should just because of relaxed regulations with FFP is something I just can't get on board with, if money isn't there, then it isn't there, and I'm certain that taking the risk just because we might be able to is not the way to go.

I know, you know and the majority of others know that in an ideal world we can, and probably need to upgrade our options at right wing. If we were going to, then the injury to Fofana has probably put an end to that search, for now. Unfortunately our current financial status means we have choices to make. In the volatile world that is football finances, most of the time being smart far outweighs being risky, it's worked for us so far and we can only hope that it continues to work. If it does, we may find ourselves in a position that we can afford to take the odd risk.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox85 said:

LCFC are so slow at getting transfers in over the line it's unreal.

I think we have had a great transfer window so far but I would of thought a RW and a CB would of came in before the season starts.

This is the window we can spends without repercussions of FFP and we need to make the most of it and just at the re sale value later down the line.

I don’t think this is fair. We certainly have pressing needs but we’ve done some great business. We totally sniped Daka, Liverpool dragged that on for months. 

Plenty of clubs are having trouble getting deals completed this window: a European Championship, The Olympics, Covid isolations, and the quarantine periods that have followed travel haven’t helped anyone. 

Back to Vestegaard!!

I for one would welcome his arrival. Over the past three years we are near the bottom of the charts on only 2 aspects: defending set pieces and scoring from set pieces.

On the defending side, having a huge presence like Vestegaard may, to some degree, make up for having a goalkeeper who WILL NOT come to claim the ball in the air, even if it is just three yards out.

And attacking wise - well he is a near post threat and will certainly attract the attention of defenders - hopefully giving opportunities for others. Not since the days of Steve Walsh and Matt Elliot have the supporters got excited about corners (Huth? not sure?). Keeping fingers crossed we get him for the figures being bandied about and, despite the many comments, he's really an ok defender in the right team set-up

Just now, Clever Fox said:

Madueke is probably just priced a little bit out of our reach right now given all the commitments we have on all projects so far.

What we should be doing is searching out another Mahrez or the next Madueke wherever he is, and he's out there somewhere.

Didn't we do that with Diabate. I think finding another Mahrez is akin to us winning the league again. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

43 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

You lose all credibility in your arguement for the god awful pun :doh:

But, for arguments sake, we sign Madueke for £40million, he's completely doggo, then what.......???

We're skint, we can't afford transfers next summer, players leave, covering the cost of our over spending this summer, and we go from 5th to 8th, then to 9th, then to 15th.....

That's the reality that we have to avoid

.. are you saying the reason we haven't signed him is because we can't afford him or because he isn't worth it!!!

Every time you buy a player there is also the possibility of "will it work".

We have taken out loans and we cab afford to go ahead with the development because of being in this league. The league is worth  conservatively £100m every year. We do not invest in infrastructure every season and we are most likely writing the loan off Every year at say £20m a year. Just imagine another three seasons in the Premiership will net us £300m. The bean counters would have looked at this long term and come to a conclusion. 

At this present moment an investment in the squad will not push us over, but if the club is not happy with a players suitability to come here, in view of quality as opposed to a lack of finance, then we will  have to live with that.

26 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Absolutely but that was in an area we were short in. 

Currently we have our own prospects for a right wing spot, we didn't have too many options at centre back.

Who's to say we don't go into each summer looking at one position that we need to fill in the future? Last season was Fofana at centre back, and if we're being honest probably wasn't brought in to play as many games as he did. This season we've brought in Daka, who in all probability, is to replace Jamie in a year or 2.

We don't know how Rodgers views Sowah or Maswanhise? Is Madueke going to be any better than them in a few years time? 

As it stands, agree or not, Rodgers might not see Right Wing as a desperate need. Centre back however, is most certainly a desperate need.

We may have been looking to fill the right wing spot, let's be honest, none of us really know. We may still be looking at it, and if we do decide to spend another £50-£60 million then so be it. But I'm sure it'll be a decision made carefully rather than just throwing money around just because we can. 

The idea that we should just because of relaxed regulations with FFP is something I just can't get on board with, if money isn't there, then it isn't there, and I'm certain that taking the risk just because we might be able to is not the way to go.

I know, you know and the majority of others know that in an ideal world we can, and probably need to upgrade our options at right wing. If we were going to, then the injury to Fofana has probably put an end to that search, for now. Unfortunately our current financial status means we have choices to make. In the volatile world that is football finances, most of the time being smart far outweighs being risky, it's worked for us so far and we can only hope that it continues to work. If it does, we may find ourselves in a position that we can afford to take the odd risk.

Yeah that all sounds logical. We definitely did want another winger this summer but it's been bumped down the list of priorities rightly or wrong.

Let's hope it doesn't come back to haunt us, currently it's the one area we don't have any reliable cover for for Barnes who arguably becomes our most important player in that regard for the way we set up as a team. So not even from a point of trying to look where we can improve the starting XI (right wing) we are vulnerable to the lack of options not only on the right but where Harvey plays.

It cost us last season, a season after injuries to other key players cost us the year before. To not rectify that a 3rd season on the spin would hurt even more.

• Like 1

Unless Southampton play silly bugger and try to price him over £20m, then I think this will get done quite soon. 

They won't want it to drag on and we certainly don't. Not my first choice but you know exactly what you are going to get with him and he could even start on Saturday and do a job. 

Can't wait to see him in the box with Bertrand's corners! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, North Leeds Fox said:

Bid 15m according to athletic. Rejected as they want more 

If rejected, move on to other targets.  15m is already over the odds.

• Like 2