Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

Should have gone for Tarks. An extra £5-7mil and we could potentially get him. He's quicker, presses the ball, passes well and is good and strong in the air too. Take someone like Tarks straight from a Burnley team and you know what you're getting from a defender and also a player who's strong in the opposite box. Kabak has more similarities with Tarks than Vestergaard.

Vestergaard is great in the air, good passing, double footed and can play the ball on the floor.

The negative for me is that Vestergaard is poor at pressing the ball. We've had this problem for a long time defensively when our defenders are playing outside of our box.

Or Zouma

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Slightly concerning that he has not featured in any of Southampton's pre-season, so he'll not be starting for some time!

I guess its Amartey and Soyuncu for Wolves, West Ham and Norwich! Could be a worse run of fixtures to have these guys, I suppose

His last competitive game was only just over a month ago at the euros at least. Thankfully he wasn’t off in Greece somewhere so hopefully won’t have lost too much match fitness.

Edited by Jakemoore
  • Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If anyone's got a growing suspicion that a lot of this positivity is fans trying to act convincing to themselves that Vestergaard will be a success here can go and benefit from hindsight in the Ayoze Perez thread from when he signed. Myself included will have come up with all sorts of fallacy about how he'll do well here in the  face of strong criticism from Newcastle fans on just how crap he was.

Let's bury them heads again lads, ay? 😂😂😂

You said to me on Sunday hes the best defender outside the top 6????

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If anyone's got a growing suspicion that a lot of this positivity is fans trying to act convincing to themselves that Vestergaard will be a success here can go and benefit from hindsight in the Ayoze Perez thread from when he signed. Myself included will have come up with all sorts of fallacy about how he'll do well here in the  face of strong criticism from Newcastle fans on just how crap he was.

Let's bury them heads again lads, ay? 😂😂😂

We're signing a 4th choice centre half at the end of the day. One that knows Kasper and Bertrand's game. One that can come in and settle pretty easily. One that has a completely different skillset to other defenders we own.

Perez was signed to be our starting winger. Newcastle fans knew that and said he wouldn't be good enough and that his best position was playing off the main striker. This is entirely different.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Scotch said:

To be fair, last year I wasn't for this but he was highly spoken 9f last year for Southampton and had a decent Euros so that's what has convinced me of him. 

Freudian slip or genuine typo? lol 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

With all due respect Ric, not every signing has to be a fancy, exciting player from abroad.

I think Vestergaard will be fine for us. As long as he's an upgrade on Amartey and Benko then that'll be enough to cover until Fofana or Evans are back. 

The difficulty with measuring success of a back up player though is a) how much they are used and b) if they do well. Its all well and good saying Vestergaard won't be first choice but if he has to play regularly then his weaknesses aren't any less acceptable because he's a 4th choice player, the same as Amartey isn't cut any slack for being an absolute liability on the ball 9r when a player stands near him with the ball in and around the penalty box.

Vestergaard has weaknesses and he has some strengths. It's anyone's guess whether he will be a success here, but those dismissing what Southampton fans are saying are the same ones dismissing what Newcastle fans said about Perez and we've nowhere to hide if he gets exposed.

In a back 4 i think he will be OK here with Soyuncu or Fofana but heaven forbid we have to play 3 at the back and him and Evans are in there in that kamikaze high line we seem to play when using 3 at the back, we'll take a pasting at some point if so.

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

We're signing a 4th choice centre half at the end of the day. One that knows Kasper and Bertrand's game. One that can come in and settle pretty easily. One that has a completely different skillset to other defenders we own.

Perez was signed to be our starting winger. Newcastle fans knew that and said he wouldn't be good enough and that his best position was playing off the main striker. This is entirely different.

Yeah, fair points and I'm not saying this is poor business but it's fascinating seeing how our fans react when there's a whiff of an imminent transfer. Blinkers on, full steam ahead.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Slightly concerning that he has not featured in any of Southampton's pre-season, so he'll not be starting for some time!

I guess its Amartey and Soyuncu for Wolves, West Ham and Norwich! Could be a worse run of fixtures to have these guys, I suppose

I wouldn't be too concerned, he had an extended summer with the Euros and many players in a similar situation have been rested. 

I'm in the "not ideal but give him a chance" camp. There are some positives, added aerial support, knows the league, knows Kasper, good on the ball etc. Not sure what his leadership and communication is like but we do need someone who can organise. We're not keen on taking too much of a risk with someone who hasn't played in this league too much. We just need a solid professional who is going to give us consistent performances. Hopefully Vestergaard is the man.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Scotch said:

To be fair, last year I wasn't for this but he was highly spoken 9f last year for Southampton and had a decent Euros so that's what has convinced me of him. 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The difficulty with measuring success of a back up player though is a) how much they are used and b) if they do well. Its all well and good saying Vestergaard won't be first choice but if he has to play regularly then his weaknesses aren't any less acceptable because he's a 4th choice player, the same as Amartey isn't cut any slack for being an absolute liability on the ball 9r when a player stands near him with the ball in and around the penalty box.

Which one is the sock puppet?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blodge said:

I'm struggling to understand why people are against this transfer? For one, he helps to improve on our glaringly obvious weakness of defending set pieces, and also attacking them. The Spurs collapse in the last game really started from the moment Kasper came to punch that ball and fluffed it into his own net. Two, he has PL experience, and for a good period of time last season, part of the strongest defence in the league. And three, he has a relationship with Kasper and Bertrand - this is massive for a defence to know each other's game. If he wasn't very good, I'm sure Kasper would have some influence to dissuade the club from pursuing him. 

All I see is positives to this transfer, and hope we can get it done quickly and swiftly. 

Too much logic to your statement. Need to go off what fans from the selling club says. Bet Chelsea fans feel the same about Chilwell....

Been engaging in a little chat with those folks on Saints Web (And what a decent group they are) and initial "ha ha he's sh*t" the feelings are

• Good on the ball
  • Great passer from deep
  • Bit slow
  • Will look better without Bednarek
  • Knows Kasper
  • Knows Bertrand
  • We now have half of the 9-0 defence

Good bunch  :thumbup:

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Been engaging in a little chat with those folks on Saints Web (And what a decent group they are) and initial "ha ha he's sh*t" the feelings are

• Good on the ball
  • Great passer from deep
  • Bit slow
  • Will look better without Bednarek
  • Knows Kasper
  • Knows Bertrand
  • We now have half of the 9-0 defence

Good bunch  :thumbup:

Point 7 is a bit worrying!!

TBF we all probably saw lots of footy last season so we saw as much as many Saints fans.  I saw Saints a lot in the 1st half of the season when they were doing ok and he looked good enough.

We've got a major problem at centre half and the choice is probably Amartey or him, £15m is probably cheap as we're on the hook a bit.  Gives us extra back up when Wes is back.

Premier League tested, knows the Dane, knows the LB, can pass well.  Major tournament experience and England didn't torch him in the semi.

Look at Premier League newbies if we get somebody from an overseas league - what do Chelsea fans think of Werner!!!  He hits the ground walking (as he's slow).  Burnley were taking the Michael on Tarkowski's pricing and we don't want to mess around with them by looks.

• Like 1