Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

People are gonna be surprised at how good he looks in a good team. No intended disrespect to Southampton but we are levels above them. The only thing that can be thrown at him is his lack of pace but we’ve got the fastest centre back in the league going next to him and the best defensive minded midfielder sat in front of him. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

People are gonna be surprised at how good he looks in a good team. No intended disrespect to Southampton but we are levels above them. The only thing that can be thrown at him is his lack of pace but we’ve got the fastest centre back in the league going next to him and the best defensive minded midfielder sat in front of him. 

And if Cags get injured and we are forced to pair him with JE, we can expect a respeat of Morgan‘s masterclass at Bournemouth a few seasons back.  The big worry is the lack of mobility which normally gets murdered in the EPL.  The thought of JE, Vestagaard and Bertrand in the same back 4 is frightening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mozartfox said:

And if Cags get injured and we are forced to pair him with JE, we can expect a respeat of Morgan‘s masterclass at Bournemouth a few seasons back.  The big worry is the lack of mobility which normally gets murdered in the EPL.  The thought of JE, Vestagaard and Bertrand in the same back 4 is frightening.

Bertrand from what I have seen so far isn’t slow, far from it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

When  JJ is back he can play centre back at a push, as can Bertrand.

I wouldn't be surprised if we also got in a younger centre-half on a loan deal (Zagadou or Richards), or Kabak as well if it is a low fee. Succession planning has been a strength for the club and means we can ease someone into the league to a view to buying them. 

Edited by lcfc_forever

Just now, lcfc_forever said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we also got in a younger centre-half on a loan deal (Zamadou or Richards), or Kabak as well if it is a low fee. Succession planning has been a strength for the club and means we can ease someone into the league to a view to buying them. 

I'd be very surprised, wed have about 14 defenders on our books and the best part of 6-7 of them not even in any matchday squad.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd be very surprised, wed have about 14 defenders on our books and the best part of 6-7 of them not even in any matchday squad.

We were looking for a CB before the Fofana injury, and Evans' injury being worse than initially thought. 

Know you're not the fan of a 3-5-2 but perhaps Rodgers wants that flexibility, and not have to play Justin at CB in such a formation when he returns? 

Also likely it will be a loan deal given the spend on Vestergaard. 

8 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we also got in a younger centre-half on a loan deal (Zamadou or Richards), or Kabak as well if it is a low fee. Succession planning has been a strength for the club and means we can ease someone into the league to a view to buying them. 

Loved that song by Olivia Newton John!

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

Really?

I thought we all knew we had something special within a few games.

.  How much did he cost...he looked good!!!

No one could tell he would turn out to be what he became. There are many players out there who have amazing skills but no end product.

Just watch Ovie Ejarria, absolute ball player, you would want to watch him all day, the problem is, no end product. 

And I did say further on in my post "we got lucky"!!

7 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

We were looking for a CB before the Fofana injury, and Evans' injury being worse than initially thought. 

Know you're not the fan of a 3-5-2 but perhaps Rodgers wants that flexibility, and not have to play Justin at CB in such a formation when he returns? 

Also likely it will be a loan deal given the spend on Vestergaard. 

I just don't see it, we don't have the squad for 3 at the back except for the number of defenders.

If we were to bring in 2 new CB's then we'd need to dispose of Amartey and Benkovic. 

We'd then have the following:

Central defenders:

Soyuncu

Evans

Fofana (injured)

Vestergaard

2nd new signing

Amartey

Benkovic

Nelson

Full backs:

Ricardo

Castagne

Bertrand

Thomas

Justin (injured)

That's 13 defenders, 11 of which will be fit by next month or are currently fit. Even if we were to go 3 at the back we have no left sided full back who is good enough as a wing back. As a full back with the support of Barnes they are both excellent options but as wing backs both Thomas and Bertrand aren't good enough and is one of the many reasons why 3 at the back is a recipe for regression for us. 

I'm still scratching my head at how we keep Justin, Castagne and Ricardo happy when Justin returns in a few months. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I just don't see it, we don't have the squad for 3 at the back except for the number of defenders.

If we were to bring in 2 new CB's then we'd need to dispose of Amartey and Benkovic. 

Central defenders:

Soyuncu

Evans

Fofana (injured)

Vestergaard

2nd new signing

Amartey

Benkovic

Nelson

Full backs:

Ricardo

Castagne

Bertrand

Thomas

Justin (injured)

That's 13 defenders, 11 of which will be fit by next month or are currently fit. Even if we were to go 3 at the back we have no left sided full back who is good enough as a wing back. As a full back with the support of Barnes they are both excellent options but as wing backs both Thomas and Bertrand aren't good enough and is one of the many reasons why 3 at the back is a recipe for regression for us. 

I'm still scratching my head at how we keep Justin, Castagne and Ricardo happy when Justin returns in a few months. 

Ricardo the new RW? :ph34r:

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Central defenders:

Soyuncu

Evans

Fofana (injured)

Vestergaard

2nd new signing

Amartey

Benkovic

Nelson

Full backs:

Ricardo

Castagne

Bertrand

Thomas

Justin (injured)

I imagine it could depend on how well JJ actually does come back, Ricardo was back in December but it took him until Spurs at the end of the season to seem like he could really get going again

If JJ is back and fit and firing straight away we could possibly see Thomas go out on loan in January and JJ switching with Bertrand at left back

Then Ricardo only has 2 years left on his deal so if he doesn't renew then he could possibly be gone next summer so we would then have JJ and Castagne at right back with Bertrand and Thomas at left back for the following season

Quite nice that we are actually starting to have headaches about how to keep players happy really!

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

Even as a Dane, I have never been a huge fan of Vestergaard. He used to always have a mistake in him and a turn, that would make a walking turtle look speedy. But he impressed me at the Euros and his physicality should hopefully help us in our woeful set pieces department. He also seems to have been monitored by us for a while, so our scouting clearly sees something in him, which I find comforting.

And another Dane at the club is always welcoming and should make a lot of our games available on danish telly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SecretPro said:

We probably enquiried again about Tarks and were told no by Burnley - there's probably already some sort of agreement that he'll come to us on a free next season anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much about Vestergaard - he's emergency cover at this stage. If he maintains a place in the 11 when everyones back then he will have done very well for us.

If we did get him next year my fear is clubs battling it out for his signature with a hike in salary and sign on fee as a result. He'll be nearly be 30 and I'm sure he'll attract a fair few suitors and if so I'd prefer a 2 year contract with an option for another year perhaps. 

• Like 1

Guest Danny Clender
7 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I imagine it could depend on how well JJ actually does come back, Ricardo was back in December but it took him until Spurs at the end of the season to seem like he could really get going again

If JJ is back and fit and firing straight away we could possibly see Thomas go out on loan in January and JJ switching with Bertrand at left back

Then Ricardo only has 2 years left on his deal so if he doesn't renew then he could possibly be gone next summer so we would then have JJ and Castagne at right back with Bertrand and Thomas at left back for the following season

Quite nice that we are actually starting to have headaches about how to keep players happy really!

I believe Thomas is too good to go out on loan. He’s a first team 11 option. Which team would he be suitable for a loan? He could push for a start in about 12 - 14 Premier League teams. I can’t see loan options for him ever.

Edited by Danny Clender

39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Wonder who the 3 defenders are we've been offered? De Vrij, some dog shit from Arsenal and Lenglet?

I do like the notion of being offered a player. A club will ring us and ask "We've got some donkey in the squad, do you fancy him? Call us back if you're interested" while we try and get somebody we actually want.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2