Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

1 minute ago, Danny Clender said:

I believe Thomas is too good to go out on loan. He’s a first team 11 option. Which team would he be suitable for a loan? He could push for a start in about 12 - 14 Premier League teams. I can’t see loan options for him ever.

He probably is too good to go out on loan, but realistically if JJ comes back and is able to play well and as it currently looks like Bertrand is first choice then he could be at risk of getting close to 0 game time in the 2nd half of the season.

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I just don't see it, we don't have the squad for 3 at the back except for the number of defenders.

If we were to bring in 2 new CB's then we'd need to dispose of Amartey and Benkovic. 

We'd then have the following:

Central defenders:

Soyuncu

Evans

Fofana (injured)

Vestergaard

2nd new signing

Amartey

Benkovic

Nelson

Full backs:

Ricardo

Castagne

Bertrand

Thomas

Justin (injured)

That's 13 defenders, 11 of which will be fit by next month or are currently fit. Even if we were to go 3 at the back we have no left sided full back who is good enough as a wing back. As a full back with the support of Barnes they are both excellent options but as wing backs both Thomas and Bertrand aren't good enough and is one of the many reasons why 3 at the back is a recipe for regression for us. 

I'm still scratching my head at how we keep Justin, Castagne and Ricardo happy when Justin returns in a few months. 

They'll all be necessary when we go deep in the Europa, which I think Rodgers has alluded to. 

Also means we can take the other domestic cups seriously, thus giving all of these players an opportunity.

Just now, peach0000 said:

Was a rumour that we’d been offered Phil Jones. Just because we were offered doesn’t mean we were interested. There were two more names in the same article I can’t remember as well!

Phil Jones, oh please god know 🙏 🤮

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

If Dan does a good job on Saturday, don't automatically assume that big Jan goes straight into the team.

What is patently obvious is, Rogers does not rate either of Big Dan or Benks. For that we must absolutely trust his judgement.  Unfortunately,  this means we have 'waste' money on someone that is not that good and with no re-sale value. Desperate situation caused by that cvnt from Villarreal.

6 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

They'll all be necessary when we go deep in the Europa, which I think Rodgers has alluded to. 

Also means we can take the other domestic cups seriously, thus giving all of these players an opportunity.

We won't be naming 13 defenders in our EL squad, we can only name 22 outfield players, 4 of which have to be academy players over the age of 21 to enable us to name 22 outfield players. Currently we have 3 in Barnes, KDH and Hamza. So we'll only be naming 21 outfield players + Thomas, Nelson and any U21 academy player who has been on our books longer than 3 years.

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

What is patently obvious is, Rogers does not rate either of Big Dan or Benks. For that we must absolutely trust his judgement.  Unfortunately,  this means we have 'waste' money on someone that is not that good and with no re-sale value. Desperate situation caused by that cvnt from Villarreal.

Actually Rodgers is a big fan of Amartey and always has a good word for him. If Dan and Cags look good together he will keep him there until Jonny is fit. Nice test for them on Saturday against Wolves powerful forwards.

2 hours ago, 80footgiraffe said:

So I think it’s always worth noting that good players can look bad in a good team. And then good players look decent in a bad team. It’s all about how the team plays and who plays alongside them. I think this is probably a very good bit of business, and for 3/4 years a very serviceable back up

Evans never looked bad even in a relegated WBA. No disrespect to Vestergaard, but he’s no Evans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

If this is going as quickly as it seems then perhaps he'll be available for Saturday. 

Doubtful, don’t think he has trained much since they went deep into the euros, not much of a pre season 

edit: just checked and he hasn’t played a single minute of pre season after late return from euros. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

3 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Actually Rodgers is a big fan of Amartey and always has a good word for him. If Dan and Cags look good together he will keep him there until Jonny is fit. Nice test for them on Saturday against Wolves powerful forwards.

This would be my preferred solution by a country mile.  Forget the lamp-post for 15M -please.

16 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

He probably is too good to go out on loan, but realistically if JJ comes back and is able to play well and as it currently looks like Bertrand is first choice then he could be at risk of getting close to 0 game time in the 2nd half of the season.

Maybe send him out in Jan once we have an idea of when JJ will return 

3 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

If this is going as quickly as it seems then perhaps he'll be available for Saturday. 

I would, even if he came off early towards the end. He's a seasoned pro at the end of the day with hardly any injury breaks in his entire career. I'd rather risk him than amartey depending on what formation BR picks because if its 4 at the back then he might use amartey as RB with RP as RW. 

Wolve's speciality is hitting the wings with pace and they can hurt any team. 

Beating the drum again but.....buy a RW!!!!

5 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

This would be my preferred solution by a country mile.  Forget the lamp-post for 15M -please.

Don't go moaning if we spend the majority of our time passing the ball about at the back and failing to break the lines and stretch the play against the likes of Wolves, Norwich and West Ham then.

This is the problem with Amartey, on the ball he is an abomination and our issue under Rodgers can be slow and laborious play against counter attacking teams, which is why we need defenders whom will always see a lot of the ball being able to get the ball in to the midfield or attack with precision and craft.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

This is the problem with Amartey, on the ball he is an abomination and our issue under Rodgers can be slow and laborious play against counter attacking teams, which is why we need defenders whom will always see a lot of the ball being able to get the ball in to the midfield or attack with precision and craft.

Fofana's ability to pass into midfield and start attacks will be missed no end, he's by far the best at doing that for us.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Why did he drop Ndidi back at the end of last season rather than play Amartey if he’s that big a fan?

He’s just being polite because Amartey gives his all, just that his all isn’t good enough for where we are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark said:

Fofana's ability to pass into midfield and start attacks will be missed no end, he's by far the best at doing that for us.

And this is why we are targeting Vestergaard IMO. Although he also loves a through ball, and to dribble it out of defence before slotting a pass.

Plus, once Fofana is back he has attributes none of our other defenders have aerially so will still have his uses in certain games. 

3 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Why did he drop Ndidi back at the end of last season rather than play Amartey if he’s that big a fan?

He’s just being polite because Amartey gives his all, just that his all isn’t good enough for where we are.

Rodgers isn't perfect and that was a mistake. In a back four Amartey is better. I think Wilf's time as a CB will be a footnote.