Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

Guest Chocolate Teapot
6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Expect him in the squad for West Ham. If not, then definitely Norwich. 

He'll be in the squad for wolves if this is true. Southampton were hoping to have him fit for Saturday.

27 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Don't go moaning if we spend the majority of our time passing the ball about at the back and failing to break the lines and stretch the play against the likes of Wolves, Norwich and West Ham then.

This is the problem with Amartey, on the ball he is an abomination and our issue under Rodgers can be slow and laborious play against counter attacking teams, which is why we need defenders whom will always see a lot of the ball being able to get the ball in to the midfield or attack with precision and craft.

Preferred solution, not desired solution.  Its the worst of two evils - effing around across the back line getting no where or getting done for speed with balls over the top of the CB's. We are going to miss Wes so much. 

• Like 1

All Amartey should have to do is lay the ball off to Youri , its not his job to be creative . Adventurous CBs are likely to get you into trouble. See what Jonny does and Bonucci and all the greats , they win the ball and lay it off.

Guest Danny Clender
56 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

He probably is too good to go out on loan, but realistically if JJ comes back and is able to play well and as it currently looks like Bertrand is first choice then he could be at risk of getting close to 0 game time in the 2nd half of the season.

It’s a big possibility, but considering we compete at our highest level ever across 4 competitions, I have a feeling he won’t run short on games. 

15 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

He'll be in the squad for wolves if this is true. Southampton were hoping to have him fit for Saturday.

Would have to be registered by tomorrow 5pm wouldn't he? Is that still the deadline? 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Would have to be registered by tomorrow 5pm wouldn't he? Is that still the deadline? 

Friday lunchtime.

1 minute ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I messaged my Saints supporting mate again - who low and behold starting laughing again. Not many Saints fan rate him, and that worries me.

My saints supporting mate was quite complimentary. Don't know if it's because he's been living in Leicester for too long now, but he's quite pessimistic all the time about saints, and can admit their faults.

He seems to think that he'll fit in well here

16 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

All Amartey should have to do is lay the ball off to Youri , its not his job to be creative . Adventurous CBs are likely to get you into trouble. See what Jonny does and Bonucci and all the greats , they win the ball and lay it off.

Sorry An, Bonnuci is well known to be one of the most expansive passers of the ball at centre back in modern football. He’s always looking to play aggressive passes forward. Centre backs in teams wanting to control possession have to be good passers of the ball. Vestergaard gives us that with Fofana out. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Jonny is one of the best ball playing CB in tthe league.......

You also don't play for Juventus if you are crap on the ball.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I just don't see it, we don't have the squad for 3 at the back except for the number of defenders.

If we were to bring in 2 new CB's then we'd need to dispose of Amartey and Benkovic. 

We'd then have the following:

Central defenders:

Soyuncu

Evans

Fofana (injured)

Vestergaard

2nd new signing

Amartey

Benkovic

Nelson

Full backs:

Ricardo

Castagne

Bertrand

Thomas

Justin (injured)

That's 13 defenders, 11 of which will be fit by next month or are currently fit. Even if we were to go 3 at the back we have no left sided full back who is good enough as a wing back. As a full back with the support of Barnes they are both excellent options but as wing backs both Thomas and Bertrand aren't good enough and is one of the many reasons why 3 at the back is a recipe for regression for us. 

I'm still scratching my head at how we keep Justin, Castagne and Ricardo happy when Justin returns in a few months. 

I'd think it's about succession planning, so if Soy was to leave next summer, we've got someone who knows the club and the league to come in. I think you've expressed doubts about Evans' fitness, hopefully he's OK to return in September but if it's a longer-term issue, we need a quality 3rd centre half while Fofana recovers. 

Rodgers is clear that he thinks Benkovic needs regular first team football so will be loaned out again, while wouldn't be surprised if Nelson was loaned out, as well as Amartey if not sold in the case of the latter. 

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Jonny is one of the best ball playing CB in tthe league.......

You also don't play for Juventus if you are crap on the ball.

OK ,Dan is not a great CB , he is our utility defender but he is a lot better than some on here think. His positioning against a dangerous Man.City attack was excellent and there were no rash tackles in dangerous areas either. He can leave the progressive play to Caglar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Actually Rodgers is a big fan of Amartey and always has a good word for him. If Dan and Cags look good together he will keep him there until Jonny is fit. Nice test for them on Saturday against Wolves powerful forwards.

Rodgers said Amartey always does his best in an interview at the weekend.  It was not a ringing endorsement.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, An Sionnach said:

OK ,Dan is not a great CB , he is our utility defender but he is a lot better than some on here think. His positioning against a dangerous Man.City attack was excellent and there were no rash tackles in dangerous areas either. He can leave the progressive play to Caglar.

Until Cags get injured or suspended 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Man City didn’t have an attack that came through the middle.