Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

1 hour ago, Sinned said:

Saints fan here.   

oi you lot - we be proud of our ‘ampshire accent.

anyway, you remember the 9 - 0 game a couple of seasons ago.   Well if you sign Vesty, you will then have 50% of our back 4 from that game. Just letting you know.

After the 9-0, your lot went on to get more points than us in the league 🤣🤣

And, you beat us here 2-1 (albeit with 25% of the defence 🤣🤣 that day!!) 

[I know you mean no offence]

On a side note, I’m happy with this, all things considered. 

I think the price is good in the current climate of ridiculous prices of players. 29 isn’t a terrible age for a defender. I’m certain he’ll improve under Rogers. 

It’s a last minute buy 3 days before the season starts. 

Bertrand looks solid and a true professional, I’m sure Vestergaard will be good…I’m sure he’ll make mistakes too. 

Some of us need to wobble our heads a bit and have a word with yourself. 

Paying £15m for a 29 year old with only 1 year left on his deal, when if the boot was on the other foot we'd get about £3m for such a player isn't that great a deal. Put it this way, we will be lucky to get £15m for Dennis Praet with 3 years left on his deal and 2 years younger. I'd rather we went for Kabak to be honest, it's not like we won't chuff up a good 70k a week for Vestergaard anyway and Kabak is equally as strong in the air and very athletic, plus 8 years younger.

Hey ho, at least he's likely an upgrade on Amartey and he is good at using the ball proficiently, will be welcome relief having another defender who can defend and attack set pieces too. Certainly by no means an atrocious signing on paper.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Paying £15m for a 29 year old with only 1 year left on his deal, when if the boot was on the other foot we'd get about £3m for such a player isn't that great a deal. Put it this way, we will be lucky to get £15m for Dennis Praet with 3 years left on his deal and 2 years younger. I'd rather we went for Kabak to be honest, it's not like we won't chuff up a good 70k a week for Vestergaard anyway and Kabak is equally as strong in the air and very athletic, plus 8 years younger.

Hey ho, at least he's likely an upgrade on Amartey and he is good at using the ball proficiently, will be welcome relief having another defender who can defend and attack set pieces too. Certainly by no means an atrocious signing on paper.

I’d rather have slightly more experience in there. 
Not entirely sure on Kabak, although would’ve been better financially and possibly better long term. 
At least we’re getting a player in that knows the league and is fairly solid. Not expecting loads but should be able to do a job for us this season. 

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

Kabak is one of the worst defenders I’ve seen in the Premier League in recent years. We needed someone who wouldn’t need bedding in, we needed someone who was ready immediately and that’s what we’ve got. 

Im not saying Kabak won’t come good, but we might well be in for him another time when we’re more confident about that.

In the meantime we’ve got plenty of young talent and now a decent amount of experience. 

At the end of the day that’s what will get us over the line at the end of the season.

This is what I meant to say ^ 

We need someone now!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Paying £15m for a 29 year old with 9nly 1 year left on his deal, when if the boot was on the other foot we'd get about £3m for such a player isn't that great a deal. I'd rather we went for Kabak to be honest, it's not like we won't chuff up a good 70k a week for Vestergaard anyway and Kabak is equally as strong in the air and very athletic, plus 8 years younger.

I think we've gone for Vestergaard over Kabak for 2 reasons. First, he is way better than Kabak on the ball. Secondly, he is much more experienced - for the balance of the squad I think Rodgers probably felt that we needed another experienced head to cover for Jonny, rather another up and coming young CB like Kabak.

3 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Played every game for Denmark who got to the semi finals of the Euros. 

Think some are being a tad harsh, but like with any signing, lets give him a chance and wait and see. 

People were writing Evans off after his ropey first performance and he is now regarded as our top class defender. Both Fofana and Soyuncu have benefitted from his experience. Let's no get on his case if it takes him a few games to settle in. 

Edited by MGLCFC

Kabak couldn’t get into a terrible Turkey side

Kabak was so bad Liverpool went back to their kids and midfielders

Kabak played a big part first half of the season in a side relegated from the Bundesliga. 

What exactly is the hype?!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

People were writing Evans off after his ropey first performance and he is now regarded as our top class defender. Both Fofana and Soyuncu have benefitted from his experience. Let's no get on his case if it takes him a few games to settle in. 

I hadn’t picked up that you were from north of the border @MGLCFC. You’re very welcome anyway.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Kabak is one of the worst defenders I’ve seen in the Premier League in recent years. We needed someone who wouldn’t need bedding in, we needed someone who was ready immediately and that’s what we’ve got. 

Im not saying Kabak won’t come good, but we might well be in for him another time when we’re more confident about that.

In the meantime we’ve got plenty of young talent and now a decent amount of experience. 

At the end of the day that’s what will get us over the line at the end of the season.

Kabak was alright at Liverpool. I know fans can distort things but very few Liverpool fans are derogatory about Kabak, where as there's a large contingent of Southampton fans who think Vestergaard is iffy.

My take on it is Vestergaard did well in Germany, as did Kabak. He came to Southampton and the first 18 months or so he was very mediocre, he had a much better Jan 2020 through to Jan 2021 where he and his team played some good football and performed to a high standard. He ended the season horribly, as did the whole team but he was pretty diabolical once again. So he's been a real mixed bag in England, experience only counts for so much and its largely been made up in this country so far of pain and anguish.

Kabak's spell at Liverpool was largely uneventful, he did OK very much like someone like Dragovic did with us. Played several games did alright and then got injured. Very few mistakes bar the debut vs us when Allisson tucked him up and just got on with the job for them in a period where Liverpool were seen to be in disarray. 

Kabak this time last year was being quoted at £35-40m and one of the hottest properties in the Bundesliga, he too has a great understanding with a fellow defender of ours if that was one of the reasons for Vestergaard coming here and teaming back up with Bertrand, whom were part of the 4th worst defence in the division and whom have lost 9-0 twice in 2 years.

Very much a much of a muchness for me. Would cost the same, both good in the air, one is 21 and the other is 29. One is criminally slow but slightly better on the ball.

Massively relieved if we get Vestegaard instead of Kabak. Been baffled by the interest by many on here in recent weeks - he's at best a work-in-progress and at worst a Tyler Blackett standard, "played for a big club so must be good" bombscare waiting to happen to anyone daft enough to sign him. Yes, Vestegaard has a mistake in him as well, but a youngster who already carries a naff reputation is not who we need partnering Soyuncu at a time when he's not considered a good leader of the backline. At least Jan carries a bit of experience and will, along with Bertrand, hopefully lead to a settled backline as we try to build some momentum in a vital early run of games.

I kind of feel for Southampton at the moment, hard to see them having much to look forward to this year.

Edited by OntarioFox

Guest Chocolate Teapot
19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Kabak is asking for more than 70k a week and his agent is asking for 3m.

14 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Screenshot_20210811_220209_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox_edit_1094775768277741.jpg

• Haha 4

I’m not sure what I expect really from having to get a defender in last minute with experience. For me not a great signing, average at best, obviously will plug some height gaps in our squad but not sure I really rate him. Wish we could have gone for someone else but you just don’t really know who is out there who is available. Would rather we paid more for tarks who is a class above this guy for me and would naturally replace Evans overtime. I just worry we take this guy on, realise he is not good enough abs then stuck with him on a contract that I don’t reckon will be cheap! Saying that I like the fact we have been interested previously! It shows it not a compete panic buy.  Bertrand has looked good so far though so it shows what different surroundings can do. 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Kabak was alright at Liverpool. I know fans can distort things but very few Liverpool fans are derogatory about Kabak, where as there's a large contingent of Southampton fans who think Vestergaard is iffy.

My take on it is Vestergaard did well in Germany, as did Kabak. He came to Southampton and the first 18 months or so he was very mediocre, he had a much better Jan 2020 through to Jan 2021 where he and his team played some good football and performed to a high standard. He ended the season horribly, as did the whole team but he was pretty diabolical once again. So he's been a real mixed bag in England, experience only counts for so much and its largely been made up in this country so far of pain and anguish.

Kabak's spell at Liverpool was largely uneventful, he did OK very much like someone like Dragovic did with us. Played several games did alright and then got injured. Very few mistakes bar the debut vs us when Allisson tucked him up and just got on with the job for them in a period where Liverpool were seen to be in disarray. 

Kabak this time last year was being quoted at £35-40m and one of the hottest properties in the Bundesliga, he too has a great understanding with a fellow defender of ours if that was one of the reasons for Vestergaard coming here and teaming back up with Bertrand, whom were part of the 4th worst defence in the division and whom have lost 9-0 twice in 2 years.

Very much a much of a muchness for me. Would cost the same, both good in the air, one is 21 and the other is 29. One is criminally slow but slightly better on the ball.

Come on Ric, neither player is a left footed right winger and therefore you know absolutely nothing.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Kabak is asking for more than 70k a week and his agent is asking for 3m.

Well given we've paid Perez 80 bags a week, Praet similar and you say it's true thst Choudhury is on over 60k a week then I'd not be surprised to see Vestergaard getting every bit what Kabak would ask for. Vestergaard's agent will also be acutely aware that his client could sit tight for a year and make whatever the magic number is they want and we'll probably agree to it, we'll no doubt see his salary do the rounds in the coming months and it'll be the going rate here at the very least.

1 minute ago, SecretPro said:

Come on Ric, neither player is a left footed right winger and therefore you know absolutely nothing.

Hahahaa don't get me wrong mate, putting the hours in on researching defenders is like doing the fcukin filing at work for a long stint. I pull my weight though (and heavily cut corners)

• Haha 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
On 10/08/2021 at 17:11, KFS said:

Jason Bourne knows naff all lol 

This went well ..... 🤣

He possibly knows a little more than you

29 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Massively relieved if we get Vestegaard instead of Kabak. Been baffled by the interest by many on here in recent weeks - he's at best a work-in-progress and at worst a Tyler Blackett standard, "played for a big club so must be good" bombscare waiting to happen to anyone daft enough to sign him.

I kind of feel for Southampton at the moment, hard to see them having much to look forward to this year.

We need someone right now, but reasonably certain that Tabak will end up being the much better player. And he was being touted (even here on FT) before playing at Liverpool. As for the Saints' prospects hereafter, their fans seem to think that Salisu was already set to supplant Vestergaard in the starting lineup this season. Not mad about signing Vestergarrd (unlike some others on here), but it's essentially a fixer-upper. 

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1