Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

4 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Net spend now 60m. Be lucky if its not just outgoings now. Maybe a winger on loan but I reckon that's it.

We may aswell loan a winger with an option/obligation as it’s unlikely we will need to do much next summer other than replace maybe 1 big player if sold, we are looking very strong in depth 

26 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

We need someone right now, but reasonably certain that Tabak will end up being the much better player. And he was being touted (even here on FT) before playing at Liverpool. As for the Saints' prospects hereafter, their fans seem to think that Salisu was already set to supplant Vestergaard in the starting lineup this season. Not mad about signing Vestergarrd (unlike some others on here), but it's essentially a fixer-upper. 

Oh yeah, for sure, I don't expect Vestergaard to be some insane player that goes on to become a permanent fixture of our backline. I would hope he's coming in full knowledge that - at least at the outset - his job is to bring some stability to the backline.

Then again, I didn't expect Evans to be anything more than a bit-part to allow Morgan to move on for the last season or two of his career while we developed Soyuncu and Benkovic, and look what happened instead. lol

.jpg

Assuming Little Wes can bounce back from his absolutely rotten injury, our main centre back pairing is gonna be one of him, Soyuncu and Evans for the considerable future. The unfortunate reality is that we're only going to have one of those three fit for the start of the season. In the circumstances, Vestergaard is absolutely the right signing to make - off the back of a cracking summer with Denmark and with the experience the backline needs in this scenario.

If he ends up exceeding expectations like Evans did, it's a win-win situation. It's a way more sensible choice than an unproven young'un for whom the jury is still out and who won't come in sharp from a summer of football with his country.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Perez has better players around him here but he's even worse than he was at Newcastle. Doesn't always work that way. Jannik will do OK though I think, just got a feeling him and Soyuncu will be the perfect combo.

But at the same time Perez had the main man role at Newcastle and didn’t have to play in such a disciplined way he never picks up areas in the box like a striker here where he had the license to do that at Newcastle 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, FoxOnWheels said:

We may aswell loan a winger with an option/obligation as it’s unlikely we will need to do much next summer other than replace maybe 1 big player if sold, we are looking very strong in depth 

Would love it but those deals are incredibly rare. 

23 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

If you read the actual post I was replying to, then you'd have got it. But you seem to have missed the point completely 

Now do you get it? :doh:

Nope.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Would love it but those deals are incredibly rare. 

They happen way more frequently outside of the PL, I think foreign teams try and push PL teams for up front money but is very common between other countries.

Still been several in the PL this summer too.

Be interesting to hear Saints fans view now that the fee of £14m with £1m potential add on is pretty much confirmed. 

Think some were thinking they would get £20m+. Might change their thinking somewhat on who got the better deal 

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

Be interesting to hear Saints fans view now that the fee of £14m with £1m potential add on is pretty much confirmed. 

Think some were thinking they would get £20m+. Might change their thinking somewhat on who got the better deal 

It would be as seen a lot saying they’d sell for the right money but can’t see them replacing him with someone better for that money unless they get lucky 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Perez has better players around him here but he's even worse than he was at Newcastle. Doesn't always work that way. Jannik will do OK though I think, just got a feeling him and Soyuncu will be the perfect combo.

That’s more optimistic than earlier at least Ric

28 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I tend to prefer to use WhoScored for match ratings:

Vestergaard - 6.89

Fofana - 7.01

Soyuncu - 6.74

Evans - 6.87

Amartey - 6.40

Rudiger - 7.02

Maguire - 7.04

Dias - 6.91

Interesting. On these ratings, JV is up there with Dias who's valued at 67.5 M on Transfermarkt. 

Maybe we've got ourselves a bargain! 

Seriously though, it looks like we've got a solid player. In theory. 

21 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Net spend now 60m. Be lucky if its not just outgoings now. Maybe a winger on loan but I reckon that's it.

I really don't understand how we could spend so much money this window especially with the pandemic problems of the last 18 months. Not only the lack of fans but the losses the King Power business must have made. I thought we averaged about 22 M over the last 5 seasons or so. Doesn't seem to be any sign of players leaving. Surely, someone has to go? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

That would be incredible if happens but have a feeling we might be done now, with Perez that RW option and Albrighton cover. 

Hope I'm wrong! 

I can't bring myself to even entertain that thought. 

One injury to either of Kevin, Ayo or Barnes and we are in serious trouble (again) of being too weak to compete on multiple fronts. Not to say we have done badly in the last few years but a thin squad has prevented us from pushing on that bit further. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Does he play left or right side for Soton- Left I assume? Soyuncu moves over to RCB then? 

Yes he played on the left for both Southampton and Denmark. I thought Soyuncu had been tried at RCB before without success. We may have a problem. 

11 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Does he play left or right side for Soton- Left I assume? Soyuncu moves over to RCB then? 

Soyuncu has played as right sided centre back for us loads of times. In some games Rodgers switches them over. I think he does it if they have a physical striker that he wants Evans on or a wide forward that has pace and he wants Soyuncu closer to that side to help out. So shouldn't be too much of a worry if Soy has to play there.

And remember though Fofana might be out, we will at some point have Soyuncu and Evans back together and that is one of the best pairings in the league.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, enmac said:

I really don't understand how we could spend so much money this window especially with the pandemic problems of the last 18 months. Not only the lack of fans but the losses the King Power business must have made. I thought we averaged about 22 M over the last 5 seasons or so. Doesn't seem to be any sign of players leaving. Surely, someone has to go? 

FFP was relaxed this year because of COVID, so there's less pressure to meet revenues with wages / spend. See PSG and them signing everyone under the sun.

Also what may well be likely is that we are front loading sales from next season. IE expect fewer signings less season but one more this. If Fofana was not injured, I think we would have signed Vestergaard or Tarkowski next season anyway. Now we might not do that, although Tark will be available on a free...

I am also 99% sure this is Tielemans last season for the club, so that will be a decent incoming fee next summer.

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

FFP was relaxed this year because of COVID, so there's less pressure to meet revenues with wages / spend. See PSG and them signing everyone under the sun.

Also what may well be likely is that we are front loading sales from next season. IE expect fewer signings less season but one more this. If Fofana was not injured, I think we would have signed Vestergaard or Tarkowski next season anyway. Now we might not do that, although Tark will be available on a free...

I am also 99% sure this is Tielemans last season for the club, so that will be a decent incoming fee next summer.

Regarding tarks, i think that will depend on evans' fitness. He had a few knocks last season and currently injured again. 

4 hours ago, Philkeavo said:

I think this a very shrewd piece of business. He may lack pace but so does Jonny Evans. His height and presence should also help at set pieces which has been a bit of problem for us over recent seasons. I thought he was excellent for Denmark in the Euro’s. This is a solid signing.

Could be the long term replacement for Johnny as he comes to the end of his contract and being 34.  Adds real quality and depth to our Central defense.  Soyoncu, Fofana (when back), Evans(when back), Vestergaaard, Amarty, Benkovic is excellent. Evans could be out longer than we have been told, being Sept/Oct.  Fofana will be lucky to play anytime this season with that injury.  So we can expect Yannick and Caglar starting for months together.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Soyuncu has played as right sided centre back for us loads of times. In some games Rodgers switches them over. I think he does it if they have a physical striker that he wants Evans on or a wide forward that has pace and he wants Soyuncu closer to that side to help out. So shouldn't be too much of a worry if Soy has to play there.

And remember though Fofana might be out, we will at some point have Soyuncu and Evans back together and that is one of the best pairings in the league.

Can you give me any examples of when Söyüncü has played on the right please Strider? The only one I can think of is Southampton at home in 19-20, think it was about January time and he tried it and both looked rather shaky and uncomfortable. I certainly can't think of Söyüncü playing on the right of a three at any stage but might be wrong.

He looks far more mature of late than he did when he first replaced Maguire, though - he was woeful on the left of a 3 for months but last season looked far more comfortable, for example. And without Evans he doesn't look short of leadership and organisation.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Interesting. Makes more sense. 

Is that a typo? Are you saying that you expect another signing this season? 

Why are you so certain about Youri? 

Just now, Hack said:

Bigger stronger more experience strong relationship with Kasper and Bertrand etc, etc.  This is a great decision and move by the club and really fixes the depth of CB's. 

He's a plug-in centre back. He's already got relationships within key areas for a CB and he's experienced at this level, he needs no bedding in at all.

Would be amazed if he doesn't start vs Wolves providing the deal is done in time.