Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

Guest Chocolate Teapot
8 hours ago, enmac said:

I really don't understand how we could spend so much money this window especially with the pandemic problems of the last 18 months. Not only the lack of fans but the losses the King Power business must have made. I thought we averaged about 22 M over the last 5 seasons or so. Doesn't seem to be any sign of players leaving. Surely, someone has to go? 

If a normal year we earn more than we used to now. Europe, the fa cup, sponsorship and we've had some high earners leave.

16 minutes ago, wattolcfc said:

People are actually moaning about this. £15m doesn’t get you much these days, especially during a pandemic. 

Don’t forget we paid £12m for a goalkeeper who never plays. 

We have had a last minute problem, which is now solved and he will be 4th choice by the end of the season. He addresses the biggest problem we’ve had since, forever - set pieces. 

Also, he is 29, not 35. He has years left in him at City, Evans is 4 years older so he will be around as backup for a long time, so it is not wasted money. 

Agreed. This is succession planning in a different way: Morgan > Evans > Vestergaard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Paying £15m for a 29 year old with only 1 year left on his deal, when if the boot was on the other foot we'd get about £3m for such a player isn't that great a deal.

But… getting an experienced international footballer, in his prime, for only £15m, is a bargain!

• Like 1

Just now, Phil Bowman said:

But… getting an experienced international footballer, in his prime, for only £15m, is a bargain!

On the face of it it is, but with a year to go on his contract it's not. We always get nominal fees for our players approaching the end of their contracts. Put it this way, we won't get much more than £15m for Dennis Praet who is an experienced international, 2 years younger than Jannik and has 3 years left on his contract.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

As a fourth choice CB I don’t think we could really ask for more. Seems another astute signing to me. 

Exactly, someone who knows the league, can plug the gaps from set pieces and even offer something in attack, already knows what our left back & keeper want, is a solid player who can more than hold his own and won’t expect to be on the team sheet every game. £15m for him is an utter bargain and great piece of business.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

On the face of it it is, but with a year to go on his contract it's not. We always get nominal fees for our players approaching the end of their contracts. Put it this way, we won't get much more than £15m for Dennis Praet who is an experienced international, 2 years younger than Jannik and has 3 years left on his contract.

I know what you mean, but the one year remaining is only really an issue for Southampton, not us. Also having an experienced CB is probably worth a lot more than £15m to us, given the probable consequences of not having one!

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We got 15m for Ahmed musa and Jeff Schlupp. You can't win them all.

9 hours ago, mozartfox said:

So Vestergaard is the only CB in the whole World who we could have signed? Got it.

Unfortunately it's not like going to a supermarket and just choosing what you want from a full shelf!

Edited by PaulW

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Our hands were tied on this one... I don't agree with the comment on Praet being an experienced international, he has played 13 games for Belgium and I doubt if there are any full 90 minutes in here. 

4 minutes ago, PaulW said:

Unfortunately it's not like going to a supermarket and just choosing what you want from a full shelf!

Vestergaard cannot be the only option in Europe in terms of available CB's in a pandemic scenario.

Anyhow, it is going to interesting how this one turns out  -  i.e. either a Huth or Bennett signing.

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Bare in mind any players that we sell that are towards the end of their contracts are usually crap squad players to us and not worthy of more than a nominal fee

First team players like Tarkowski, Vestergaard, Castagne are always going to command a decent fee even with 1 year left on their deal

If we get to next summer and none of Tielemans, Pereira, Soyuncu have signed new deals and only have 1 year left then no doubt we would probably be looking for £20m+ for them because they are first team quality players to us

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wattolcfc said:

People are actually moaning about this. £15m doesn’t get you much these days, especially during a pandemic. 

Don’t forget we paid £12m for a goalkeeper who never plays. 

We have had a last minute problem, which is now solved and he will be 4th choice by the end of the season. He addresses the biggest problem we’ve had since, forever - set pieces. 

Also, he is 29, not 35. He has years left in him at City, Evans is 4 years older so he will be around as backup for a long time, so it is not wasted money. 

He’s also not a panic buy as we’ve been linked previously so he’s been on the list and then kasper and Bertrand will have gave him a good reference I’m sure! 

solid signing for us.

• Like 1

It’s obvious to me that we chose Vestergaard because of he is one of the best ball-playing centre backs in the league, and he is available for a decent price. Many of the others we have been linked with are comparatively poor with the ball. Against teams with a low block, we really need this ability to distribute and carry from the back and even play long balls - then there is the obvious benefit from set pieces. He may be limited in other aspects, but he will be really useful against certain opponents. 

Van Dijk, Laporte, Lindelof, Stones... all similarly good with the ball at their feet. 

• Like 1