Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

4 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

You think so.  I think so.  55 million spent in other areas says Rodgers doesn’t.

....that extra £15m was a necessity borne out of the need to bolster our Centre Back position!!!

The possible one signing so far that you would perhaps had not expected would have been  Soumare. Perhaps bringing in KDH this season  and playing him as another #8 alongside Wilf and Youri might have been an option. We are however too light in the middle of the park an Soumare will give us the drive and leadership we fall short of.

If the only way to get a Right Winger in this window is a loan to buy, then I hope we do so.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

As long as we have a right winger comparable to Barnes then if we lost Barnes for any length of time we've still got a right winger giving us what Barnes does. I suppose the obvious answer is one who can play on either wing, step forward Dan James or Josip Brekalo.

Bit of a strect to use the words 'Can Play' and 'Dan James' in the same sentence.

2 hours ago, wattolcfc said:

People are actually moaning about this. £15m doesn’t get you much these days, especially during a pandemic. 

Don’t forget we paid £12m for a goalkeeper who never plays. 

We have had a last minute problem, which is now solved and he will be 4th choice by the end of the season. He addresses the biggest problem we’ve had since, forever - set pieces. 

Also, he is 29, not 35. He has years left in him at City, Evans is 4 years older so he will be around as backup for a long time, so it is not wasted money. 

I think the reason for non universal acceptance of this deal is that some had their hearts set on Kabak or other potential options and will find any reason to devalue this deal.  

I am sure the club will be moving on some of the depth from the squad in other areas such as Midfield. Would it surprise anyone if Hamza, Dennis etc would be moved on, which would help fund this and maybe the desired winger that we all feel we need.

13 hours ago, kristianity77 said:

But you should know that you can't really base an opinion on 90 minutes of football, that's absurd.  Thats like saying that Soyuncu is rubbish because someone only watched him play in the Bournemouth mauling a couple of seasons back.  Or that Fofana isn't up to scratch because someone saw him play against Braga in the europa league and he was all over the place. 

Vestergaard Is a good player in a poor team.  Like Maguire was, like Huth was, like Bertrand was, like Evans was. 

I've watched about a dozen saints games last season (missus supports them)  and he's quality.

Was only a month ago that he had Kane on toast in the Euros.

A handful of 90 minutes… i.e. 5-6 games last season. And not once did I think wow, what a player. 

Anyway he’s coming so just hope he’s better for us than what I’d seen for Southampton 

13 hours ago, moore_94 said:

I mean... you surely should have expected that things would change in our plans of what we wanted when Fofana got injured right? We seemingly weren't even remotely close to signing a RW either. Just because the club has fast tracked this deal doesn't mean they aren't also looking at and working on other deals.

The club have watched this guy for ages and for all we know they could have been looking to sign him towards the end of the window if we sold a couple of fringe players but just brought the plan forward after Fofanas injury, doesn't mean its a panic buy.

Should probably look up a bit more about him if you think he isn't great on the ball, that is the one thing that Southampton fans say he is really good at.

Again, I’m going off of what I’ve seen, and last season I saw him mess about with the ball at his feet and get sent off against us (unless I’m getting mixed up with someone else) 

I never said he may not have been part of the plan at some point, but this has gone away from our usual purchases of making money. We ain’t making money on this bloke. 

Just now, lcfceaves said:

Again, I’m going off of what I’ve seen, and last season I saw him mess about with the ball at his feet and get sent off against us (unless I’m getting mixed up with someone else) 

I never said he may not have been part of the plan at some point, but this has gone away from our usual purchases of making money. We ain’t making money on this bloke. 

Think Jonny Evans not Wesley Fofana for this deal

3 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

A handful of 90 minutes… i.e. 5-6 games last season. And not once did I think wow, what a player. 

Anyway he’s coming so just hope he’s better for us than what I’d seen for Southampton 

Not sure what you expect for a mid/long-term 4th choice for £14million who knows the League well and can start on Saturday (in theory)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahahahaa he's got the ingredients of being a good player, there's just a lot of polishing needed.

..I  think United tried to polish him too much!!!

Need to take him back to his raw state and be more direct as opposed to attempting to link with the play.

Take him off his leash.

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

As long as we have a right winger comparable to Barnes then if we lost Barnes for any length of time we've still got a right winger giving us what Barnes does. I suppose the obvious answer is one who can play on either wing, step forward Dan James or Josip Brekalo.

Yeah someone who can play both sides would be ideal. 

At this late stage of the window, we could do a lot worse than Dan James to be fair. It would be interesting to see how he develops under a tactician like Brendan. 

Not necessarily one for the future but I'm Vestagaard will prove a good signing for the money mentioned,

He , Bertrand and Kasper know each other well, so I'm sure they have a good understanding between them which is always good to hear.

He'll win a lot of the crosses Kasper should be claiming and I'm sure he'll chip in with a few goals also.

Now we can concentrate today on a Right Winger. I know we've spent a lot around the club but this is the missing piece of the Jigsaw so we need a quality RW.

A loan to buy would work just as good if funds are that tight.

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Think Jonny Evans not Wesley Fofana for this deal

I wanted Evans that was the difference 😂 

Look I hope I’m proved wrong, but I’ve seen this so many times in the past when people get all defensive about us signing a player if someone doesn’t feel it’s that good of a signing. Ghezzal for example, people were giving it large about him when in truth they were backing him up just because he was a new signing… after half a season the same people were slagging him off. 
It’s ok to not be all singing all dancing about every single transfer we make… 

Edited by lcfceaves
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Not sure what you expect for a mid/long-term 4th choice for £14million who knows the League well and can start on Saturday (in theory)

This has been point from the start 🙄 but people on here are having a go just because I haven’t been running around saying he’s quality! 

Guys - our squad looks good... Daka, Soumare plus KDH - Barnes is back... JJ still to come and Ricardo looking sharper then last term.  However, it is difficult for teams who do not have a settled back line.  The Fofana injury undermines everything else... so bringing in Vestergaard  is  good move.  Of course it would be great if we could find a Fofana... but all clubs are looking for such signings.  Truth is we need this guy. Let's get behind him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lcfceaves said:

This has been point from the start 🙄 but people on here are having a go just because I haven’t been running around saying he’s quality! 

I think very few are actually saying he is quality. Just that for our reported budget and situation post Fofana, it's a smart signing. 

Having a go? Hate bullies! 

2 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

Look I hoped I’m proved wrong, but I’ve seen this so many times in the past when people get all defensive about us signing a player if someone doesn’t feel it’s that good of a signing. Ghezzal for example, people were giving it large about him when in truth they were backing him up just because he was a new signing… after half a season the same people were slagging him off. 

I think there is already a sliding scale of excitement evident in this forum. Daka for example unleased unbridled excitement coupled with a "dancing with the big boys" rhetoric. Soumare was a little more low key but for whom there was still significant excitement, Bertrand even less so.

Vestergaard is more like a Bertrand signing (Not club related)  in that he is sensible, pre-scouted,  fills a gap - just not the gap we expected!

Great signing if it goes through.  Although precipitated by WF's injury it is real cover for Evans as his injury will not go away and he could easily miss chunks of the season.  Probably wanted 'one for the future' this season and then an experienced CB next season (like Tarkovski) but means we have had to do it the other way round.   Loads of positives and massive prem league experience, adds height and something more in both boxes, knows 2 players already (almost Huth like !!).  Might not be so good with small nippy forwards but he has so many other players with speed around him (Bertrand, Cags, Ricky, Thomas, Wilf) that shouldn't be a problem.   Great bit of business imo.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

Look I hoped I’m proved wrong, but I’ve seen this so many times in the past when people get all defensive about us signing a player if someone doesn’t feel it’s that good of a signing. Ghezzal for example, people were giving it large about him when in truth they were backing him up just because he was a new signing… after half a season the same people were slagging him off. 

.. can't  remember people being too enthusiastic about signing Ghezzal!!!

I remember the " slow like a turtle " quote, and no one would have expected he cold have been so poor as a player. He appeared overwhelmed when playing  for us, and that never changed.