Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They weren’t for Varane, Romero and now oddly for Kane.

Hence I suspect the club prioritised a centre back in the UK over European options.

Couldn’t afford to have a player missing 10 days in a hotel from say 14th to 23rd. Woefully short of fitness because he can’t even get on a training ground (hilariously Morelos at Rangers was running around a hotel car park when he got back from the Copa America) and therefore having a player unavailable until after the international break. 

Vestergaard probably needs a week or so to get up to speed. Saints will have played behind closed doors bounce games. They fielded only four and five subs in their last two friendlies 

Not that it matters one iota, many European Countries are now on the UK Green list. 

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Only Germany on the green list has a major footballing league. 

Blimey you are like a dog with a bone.  It does not matter we have signed him now.  

I doubt very much that 'quarantine' was high up on the list if attributes for spending UKP 15M, but I am probably wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Blimey you are like a dog with a bone.  It does not matter we have signed him now.  

I doubt very much that 'quarantine' was high up on the list if attributes for spending UKP 15M, but I am probably wrong.

Was merely in reply to the post from yourself of 'Vestergaard cannot be the only option in Europe in terms of available CB's in a pandemic scenario' 

It's a factor - something which has left a lot of teams without their best players this weekend 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

And time. Could we afford to sign a player who may require 10 days quarantine? 

I doubt that was much of a factor, really. I'm sure we would have been after the right player first and foremost, and getting 10 more days (one or two games) use out of them wouldn't have swayed a decision.

We've been interested in Vestergaard for a while, so I'm sure we've done plenty of homework on him. Okay, so we might have got him for free next year, but we can't afford to wait that long. Him being in the last year of his contract meant we got him a lot cheaper than we would have otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I doubt that was much of a factor, really. I'm sure we would have been after the right player first and foremost, and getting 10 more days (one or two games) use out of them wouldn't have swayed a decision.

We've been interested in Vestergaard for a while, so I'm sure we've done plenty of homework on him. Okay, so we might have got him for free next year, but we can't afford to wait that long. Him being in the last year of his contract meant we got him a lot cheaper than we would have otherwise.

That I agree. Vestergaard has been a long time target. Not a criticism of us signing him. I am explaining why we've not gone abroad to try for something different as an alternative (which was in reply to this comment by Mozart 'Vestergaard cannot be the only option in Europe in terms of available CB's in a pandemic scenario' 

I do feel a bit sorry for Southampton. It felt like something good was happening for them last season and then they got a couple of bad results and crumbled.  

To then go into the summer and lose 2 ...possibly 3 key players (jwp) is a huge blow.  It seems like its down to players refusing to sign contracts rather than purely bad ownership and there's not a lot you can do. We look like we might end up in a similar situation with YT next summer :( 

Perhaps players have finally realised that signing big wage 5 year deals does limit your freedom to move to a big club... who would have thought 

Edited by Lambert09

2 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I do feel a bit sorry for Southampton. It felt like something good was happening for them last season and then they got a couple of bad results and crumbled.  

To then go into the summer and lose 2 ...possibly 3 key players (jwp) is a huge blow.  It seems like its down to players refusing to sign contracts rather than purely bad ownership and there's not a lot you can do. We look like we might end up in a similar situation with YT next summer :( 

Perhaps players have finally realised that signing big wage 5 year deals does limit your freedom to move to a big club... who would have thought

I agree. Soton are a similar-sized club to us and were not so long ago the one I wanted us to emulate. They used to churn out great home grown players for fun (with half their catchment area being the English Channel!). They did mess it up by selling too many players for a while, but they still seemed like they'd survived that early last season.

Looks like they're losing the spine of their team this summer, so they've got 2 weeks to invest very wisely. Could be a Sliding Doors transfer window for them.

• Like 1

As others have mentioned, considering our position, the experience he brings and his link to Bertrand and Kasper, it's the perfect signing. Slots straight in and is certainly of good calibre. Ryan Bennett he is not.

More than that though, even without the injury situation, I think having his height will be a real asset. Even with a full squad to choose from I'd like to see him start against the likes of Chelsea who consistently bully us aerially whenever we play them.

Theoretically he could stop a good chunk of the set piece goals we concede, which of course is our achilles heel. Tends to chip in with 3 or 4 goals, too, which will be a welcomed additional stream of goalscoring in which we have under-indexed in recent years.

• Like 3