Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

That sums up what I thought. He had a good Jan 20 to Jan 21 and then the whole team imploded. He's not been a success there given what they paid for him.

His lack of pace will be an issue but on the ball he would suit us very well.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

That sums up what I thought. He had a good Jan 20 to Jan 21 and then the whole team imploded. He's not been a success there given what they paid for him.

His lack of pace will be an issue but on the ball he would suit us very well.

I was just about to post something similar. I can't even remember a reason why they went downhil? I'm pretty sure it wasn't injuries and I also remember they starting conceding a few goals per game after Xmas.

6 hours ago, dbtcity said:

his original thread is locked for some reason but after all the talk of a new CB it’s pretty much nailed on this will be the man we bring in! A decent signing for a decent fee imo

The new Robert Huth for us.

1 minute ago, UHDrive said:

I was just about to post something similar. I can't even remember a reason why they went downhil? I'm pretty sure it wasn't injuries and I also remember they starting conceding a few goals per game after Xmas.

They lost a couple of players to injury but only for a few weeks and they seemed to just lose the plot. Their relentless pressing and movement seemed to stop and the confidence evaporated.

1 minute ago, KFS said:

Eesh that’s not good…

My thoughts exactly. Obviously they are coming off a bad season but I always think fans give a good honest insight into a player. 

Spend a little more and get Tarkowski IMO. 

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's a decent player really. Slow but he's good at everything else.

Far to much is being made of this issue of being slow.  Not sure he is slow to honest.  Also I don't seem to remember Wes Morgan and Robert Huth were world beating sprinters. A combo of Vestergaard/Evans with either Soyoncu/Fofana would be perfect.

4 minutes ago, KFS said:

Eesh that’s not good…

It’s tricky fans are fickle. People near me used to say mahrez was rubbish.

though it’s fair to take into account their opinions. 

I think he’s steady enough, could go straight into the team and also we have evans hopefully in 3 or 4 games time. He makes the squad stronger. Gives us much needed height too.

8 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Not good in the same way that some on here wouldn’t have had Maguire in our reserves once Utd were interested? 

And with most of the football community calling him a fridge for the best part of a year, I don’t know if that’s unfair lol 

7 minutes ago, Hack said:

Far to much is being made of this issue of being slow.  Not sure he is slow to honest.  Also I don't seem to remember Wes Morgan and Robert Huth were world beating sprinters. A combo of Vestergaard/Evans with either Soyoncu/Fofana would be perfect.

Huth and Morgan wouldn't really work in the way we play now though.

Admittedly - Evans isn't quick, and he doesnt' really get exposed for it. You can make up for it to an extent with reading the game. Vestergaard is 'really' slow though.

I'm not 100% on him but I'd be happier with it than I was this time last year.

As a Saints fan I can confirm he is pretty poor defensively, but he is quality on the ball.

Playing for a lower team like us he’s a complete liability, playing for a better quality team like Leicester with better support and more possession he could excel.

A transfer works for all parties - he’s a luxury player but a team like Southampton with a poor defence already, we can’t afford that and IMO we have a better suited LCB in Salisu. Leicester should make it easier for him (but I still wouldn’t be surprised if he still dropped a few clangers).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KFS said:

And with most of the football community calling him a fridge for the best part of a year, I don’t know if that’s unfair lol 

😂. The Man Utd captain? The England centre-half? The one who is the most expensive defender ever? That’s one heck of a fridge! 😂😂

Ngl having one half of Southampton's defence lining up for us doesn't fill me with delight. 

But the biggest criticism of him is usually that he's slow and playing with Cags alongside is going to mitigate that. It's not like we rely on Evans' dynamite legs.

He'd give us height that we lack a bit and he's, by all accounts, pretty tidy on the ball. Could do worse. 

I remember West Brom fans telling us Johny Evans was past it and not committed. Fans get bitter when played move on.

He has been decent for them, he is clearly no world beater but for this price it should be a decent deal for us.

• Like 2

I’m sure a more tactically aware person than me will be able to answer this, but who would play on the left of a 2 man CD defence between Cags and Vestergaard?

Obviously it’s Cags position now, but as he is naturally right footed and Vestergaard apparently is comfortable with both, but plays in the left position for Saints. Is it easy for either of them to move into the right CD spot?

The only comparison I have with us is that Big Wes could only ever play in the right CD position and would notoriously struggle on the left, is this more to do with his limitations or is this a thing with the majority of central defenders in that they have a preferred side and struggle is asked to play in the other position?

Edited by stu
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, teblin said:

It’s tricky fans are fickle. People near me used to say mahrez was rubbish.

though it’s fair to take into account their opinions. 

I think he’s steady enough, could go straight into the team and also we have evans hopefully in 3 or 4 games time. He makes the squad stronger. Gives us much needed height too.

I spent an entire season sitting next to a ‘fan’ who thought Lineker was rubbish & laughed at every single small error he made…

https://saintsmarching.com/2021/07/23/agent-vestergaard-defender-pictured-holiday-rumoured-saints-target/

I found this and it's a good read and it's spot on how I've always saw him as a player and not like the comments coming from saints fans. 

He has the added bonus that he's two footed like Johnny and can pivot in a back 3 to both sides as Johnny can do. If we could get this done and him bedded in then it would fix everything in one go. Back 3/4 no problem. His injury record is fantastic to which is unusual.... 

Edited by UHDrive
Typo
  • Like 1