Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

1 minute ago, hamptonfox said:

We need a Centre Back, big time.

He fits the bill.

Soyuncu, Ricardo and Bertrand are pacey enough, and he is a 6ft 6 inch two-footed player, with plenty of Premier League experience who shouldn't break the bank.

@Ric Flairwill be delighted - he can go in the middle of a 3 with Dan and Cags either side 👍😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stu said:

I’m sure a more tactically aware person than me will be able to answer this, but who would play on the left of a 2 man CD defence between Cags and Vestergaard?

Obviously it’s Cags position now, but as he is naturally right footed and Vestergaard apparently is comfortable with both, but plays in the left position for Saints. Is it easy for either of them to move into the right CD spot?

The only comparison I have with us is that Big Wes could only ever play in the right CD position and would notoriously struggle on the left, is this more to do with his limitations or is this a thing with the majority of central defenders in that they have a preferred side and struggle is asked to play in the other position?

Cags and Evans both prefer to play on the left but obviously 1 has had to play on the right which has ended up being Evans, I’m sure during their early partnership Brendan tried to switch them around and Cags looked all over the place on the right which seems strange but I think far to much gets looked into it when talking about needing a left footed cb on the left and right on the right  

• Like 1

I've been looking at this the wrong way. He will be our 4th choice when everyone is fit. That's a pretty good CB to have as 4th choice. 

Will start the first 7-8 games and then Evans will likely come back in and he will move to 3rd choice until Fofana comes back next year. 

If the price is right i.e. around £15m, then makes sense. Would be great to have a beast in both boxes too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UHDrive said:

I don't get the comparisons in the 0-9 win we had at theirs. It was truly miserable rainy weather. Bertrand practically played no part and was a massive loss to them as a key component of their back line. We were just on our game that day and the slick wet pitch would've only have benefitted us and not them. 

Vestergaard has great composure on the ball, something that's a necessity if he comes to us, great in the air, set piece taker and scorer and looks mean too. What more could we ask for...

...did you remember Rodgers was on the touchline all the time orchestrating!!!

That was a big night for the team as well as the staff and they were fully aware at half time that the record was on.

The only criticism I have about Vestergaard as a player is that he lacks significant pace. With that being said, what I do like about his profile is that he is tall, great at aerial duels, proficient at interceptions, and can play with both feet (especially playing/creating play from the back).

5 hours ago, stu said:

I’m sure a more tactically aware person than me will be able to answer this, but who would play on the left of a 2 man CD defence between Cags and Vestergaard?

Obviously it’s Cags position now, but as he is naturally right footed and Vestergaard apparently is comfortable with both, but plays in the left position for Saints. Is it easy for either of them to move into the right CD spot?

The only comparison I have with us is that Big Wes could only ever play in the right CD position and would notoriously struggle on the left, is this more to do with his limitations or is this a thing with the majority of central defenders in that they have a preferred side and struggle is asked to play in the other position?

This is the only hangup I have about this signing. I've always been a proponent for signing him for the right price, ever since we were first linked. However, as Evans and Fofana may be out for a while, Vestergaard needs to play RCB. If he can't, we should pay up for Tarkowski.

I would very much love this guy at Leicester though, he looks like a proto-human, will strike fear into the hearts of attackers. 1000 years ago he would have been a glorious warrior.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, dbtcity said:

Cags and Evans both prefer to play on the left but obviously 1 has had to play on the right which has ended up being Evans, I’m sure during their early partnership Brendan tried to switch them around and Cags looked all over the place on the right which seems strange but I think far to much gets looked into it when talking about needing a left footed cb on the left and right on the right  

Cags is right footed and manages fine on the right for Turkey. It's when he's the extreme left of 3 that he struggles.

• Like 1

Really sensible signing if it comes to fruition and another much needed boost in our ability to both defend and attack set pieces. As another post mentioned, when everyone is back fit he'll be fourth choice, which certainly isn't bad and will alleviate a lot of worry should Evans take longer to come back than anticipated. 

16 hours ago, KFS said:

My Saints supporting mate says he’s the best CB on the ball in the Prem

Did you retaliate by informing him Ghezzal is the best Winger in the Prem?

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Evans won't last all season so we do need to look for longer term options as well as those who can go straight into the team

If we're looking to play 4 at the back again then Cags and Wes are pretty much as long term as we can hope for. The succession planning will be in place as it always is, we need to fight the fire that's in front of us first. 

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

If we're looking to play 4 at the back again then Cags and Wes are pretty much as long term as we can hope for. The succession planning will be in place as it always is, we need to fight the fire that's in front of us first. 

We can't just rely on 2 CB's Fofona could be out all season, an injury to Soy and we are ****ed

• Like 1

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

We don't need long term options, we need an immediate stop gap.

Yes - if he's available it's a no-brainer. Little Wes's 'unfortunate accident' has put paid to planned transfers. We needed cover before the Spanish assassin decided to crock him.

After Saturday's excellent display we can't afford to lose that initial impetus for want of a capable defence. As much as we like Dan's personality, he's a guy who's being left behind by the development of the squad. Two central defenders of Vestergard/Tarkowski quality are necessary.

We saw what was necessary when Bennett was bought in as a stopgap.  

• Like 1