Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

11 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Yes - if he's available it's a no-brainer. Little Wes's 'unfortunate accident' has put paid to planned transfers. We needed cover before the Spanish assassin decided to crock him.

After Saturday's excellent display we can't afford to lose that initial impetus for want of a capable defence. As much as we like Dan's personality, he's a guy who's being left behind by the development of the squad. Two central defenders of Vestergard/Tarkowski quality are necessary.

We saw what was necessary when Bennett was bought in as a stopgap.  

Amartey will cost us less points than Perez this season imo but that's another debate 

• Haha 2

Its tricky this , if we buy the quality we need , he will expect to start even when Jonny is fit. If we go stop gap , he will be surplus to requirements somewhere else I.e. not good enough. It is still a consideration to try and get through somehow with what we have. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I genuinely think Big Dan at CB is more than capable and better than we all think. 

The club won’t want to spend big just to get cover for 6 months or so. So I think a loan is probably the way forward here…

I don’t know what you’ve seen that I haven’t but big Dan as we keep calling him is a bomb scare. He played well on Saturday, no doubt. But he’s an awful footballer and someone who will cost us points this season. Please bear in mind that on Saturday he didn’t have a striker to play against. Wait until he has to defend against the strength and aerial ability of Jiminez or DCL or against the pace of Ings. He will struggle big time. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Amartey will cost us less points than Perez this season imo but that's another debate 

The thing is you’re probably right. But people won’t realise this, the fact is a mistake as a defender more times than leads to a goal and everyone remembers it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

If we do sign Vestergaard or Tarkowski, etc, I am going to suspect it says as much about Jonny’s fitness as Fofana’s. :(

Well not really as we were half looking at a centre back before Fofana got injured. Their injuries are exactly why you need the strength in depth. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I genuinely think Big Dan at CB is more than capable and better than we all think. 

The club won’t want to spend big just to get cover for 6 months or so. So I think a loan is probably the way forward here…

Big Dan has match losing errors in him.

He played well against City, but in fairness they were pretty rubbish up front. 

Dan’s a lovely bloke but a horribly limited footballer, we can’t rely on him, if he’s out stand in until Evans returns then we’re pooped.

We need a replacement, that lad is not Nesta, but he will probably do enough to help us out.

1 minute ago, Bert said:

Well not really as we were half looking at a centre back before Fofana got injured. Their injuries are exactly why you need the strength in depth. 

You misunderstand, the reason Vestergaard/Tarkowski over say Kabak, is because they present not only bodies, they also represent experience, something Jonny provided. That was my ill communicated point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Cags is right footed and manages fine on the right for Turkey. It's when he's the extreme left of 3 that he struggles.

Played all the games at the World Cup on the left… like I said early doors when he slotted in for his first few games he did so on the left Brendan then tried to play him on the right and Evans on the left and he struggled…. Safe to say the next game he was back to the left where he’s stayed, it may seem like a little thing that shouldn’t make much difference as cb is cb but he was all over the shop on the right not saying he can’t play there but he’s much more comfortable on the left

So ric flair , u think that we can just cruise through six months with just DAN and CAGS at the back , Dan plays 1 good game in every 5 , cags is great only when evans is along side him . But what happens if one or both get injured , do we PHONE rent a CB . In that six months we could be bottom of the league , spent what we need to to make sure when are guns come back we are still able to finish in the top 4 .

33 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Its tricky this , if we buy the quality we need , he will expect to start even when Jonny is fit. If we go stop gap , he will be surplus to requirements somewhere else I.e. not good enough. It is still a consideration to try and get through somehow with what we have. 

If they are quality and keep Jonny out when he’s fit then they will have been a good signing and only making us stronger and means we are winning games. All good for me if that happens. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This will soon change when we come up against a team where we have 65% of the possession with a large proportion of it being recycled back and forth across the defence or when we are penned in and need expansive passing from the back to beat the press.

He is a solid player who I'm glad has managed to work his way back to fitness but he's never going to be a regular here.

He be sound for carabao and Europa games and squad player, yet to be convinced he can step up to a regular starter. He did however impress me on Saturday and hope that gives him confidence for Saturday as he’s currently starting alongside soyuncu you would think 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bptiger said:

So ric flair , u think that we can just cruise through six months with just DAN and CAGS at the back , Dan plays 1 good game in every 5 , cags is great only when evans is along side him . But what happens if one or both get injured , do we PHONE rent a CB . In that six months we could be bottom of the league , spent what we need to to make sure when are guns come back we are still able to finish in the top 4 .

To call someone's attention, you can quote a comment of theirs, using the 'Quote' in blue at the bottom, and their comment will appear as a quote in your reply, like yours does here. You can also just write their handle, but with @ before it. Like this: @Ric Flair If you don't do either of those, you could be waiting a long while for a response.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bptiger said:

I’m sure @Ric Flair is saying in the post directly above yours Amartey isn’t good enough lol …. I’ve also not seen him post anywhere that we should just stick with what we’ve got :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jannik is a good option. He adds something we actually lack in defence and that’s a solid physical defender. Cags is aggressive but has been bundled over by more powerful players on occasion. He doesn’t need to be quick, as Johnny wasn’t the main man for recovery runs, our full backs and Cags did that job.

He possess good footballing ability, so he is comfortable with the ball at his feet, he’s a monster so that helps out with set plays and he’s got premier league experience and won’t require a work permit. To top it off he’s also not going to cost the Earth. 

Signings like this get snuffed at, and the Southampton fans may say he’s not great, but his race has probably run there, and I’m sure we’ve been in similar positions before when selling players.

For me this is the best option, it allows us to take our time with Johnny and means there will be a nice overlap for when Wes returns. I’d be happy with this signing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dbtcity said:

I’m sure @Ric Flair is saying in the post directly above yours Amartey isn’t good enough lol …. I’ve also not seen him post anywhere that we should just stick with what we’ve got :blink:

I was going to say, try reading the posts before replying 😂

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Jannik is a good option. He adds something we actually lack in defence and that’s a solid physical defender. Cags is aggressive but has been bundled over by more powerful players on occasion. He doesn’t need to be quick, as Johnny wasn’t the main man for recovery runs, our full backs and Cags did that job.

He possess good footballing ability, so he is comfortable with the ball at his feet, he’s a monster so that helps out with set plays and he’s got premier league experience and won’t require a work permit. To top it off he’s also not going to cost the Earth. 

Signings like this get snuffed at, and the Southampton fans may say he’s not great, but his race has probably run there, and I’m sure we’ve been in similar positions before when selling players.

For me this is the best option, it allows us to take our time with Johnny and means there will be a nice overlap for when Wes returns. I’d be happy with this signing. 

This!! I think the thing that would massively benefit him here that he doesn’t have at Southampton is defensive cover all around him! Cags is a top defender as are Riccy P, Castagne and Bertrand… then we have the man mountain of a shield in Wilf sat in front of him! So I can’t see his lack of pace being an issue whilst his pros would benifit us massively ie dominant in the air and very good on the ball

Edited by dbtcity
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bptiger said:

What on earth are you going on about? Read my post again and then if you're happy with your reply to me then I suggest smearing yourself in fish paste. 

I said Amartey is alright until we have to play anyone where we need to be on the front foot with possession or trying to beat a press. " he'll never be a regular here ".

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

There are fans like that everywhere. Large numbers on here were saying Maguire wasn’t worth £80m speak to a United ST holder and he says he’s the best CB they’ve had since Vidic.

He could come here and settle in really well and just do a job.

I wonder what Stoke fans thought of Huth when he left for us? A year later he was lifting the PL trophy….

What fans really think is largely irrelevant, the club would have scouted him and identified why they want him, I’m sure if you saw their scouting report it would make sense. 

All this comes crashing down though if the player is as the fans have said and then we're left saying we should have listened, ala Ayoze Perez. 

What we do know is he lacks pace and defensively he's suspect. Two things that when they rear their head and get exposed will quite quickly be picked apart by our fan base. What he has in his favour though is he's good on the ball and will be a welcome addition at defending and attacking set pieces. Hopefully the latter two elements outweigh the weaknesses and playing in a superior team may help that.

• Like 2