Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Jannik Vestergaard

Was very impressed with him in the euros. Especially against England.

Would be a solid signing and would be good backup for Evans or Fofana in the interim.

Also he's a CB who is great in the air which we have desperately needed since Maguire left

45 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

There are fans like that everywhere. Large numbers on here were saying Maguire wasn’t worth £80m speak to a United ST holder and he says he’s the best CB they’ve had since Vidic.

He could come here and settle in really well and just do a job.

I wonder what Stoke fans thought of Huth when he left for us? A year later he was lifting the PL trophy….

What fans really think is largely irrelevant, the club would have scouted him and identified why they want him, I’m sure if you saw their scouting report it would make sense. 

Maguire was voted both the players' and FANS' player of the season here (and same at Hull btw), so presumably many here held him in high regard even if they did not think he was worth 80m quid (and just for the record, I personally do not see how he is worth more than VVD, but defer to the machinations of the "market" - and if he's regarded as United's best CB since Vidic, it says more about United's post-Vidic recruitment than anything else).

Personally, I would always defer to our scouting department given their overall track record, but let's not forget that said record includes the recruitment of the likes of Silmani, Musa, Diabete, Bennet, Silva, etc. The reality is that virtually EVERY transfer is effectively a gamble, but I would not contemptuously dismiss the collective (and seeming near-unanimous) opinion of fans who have observed him at close quarters over the past 3 years.

Frankly, the Saints' fans views on Vestergaard is more analogous (not necessarily identical) to our fans' opinions on Demarai Gray, rather than to Maguire's (whom most here regarded as a good player, even if not worth 80m quid). Many folks on the outside (scouts included) seem to continue to hold Gray in relatively high regard, while those of us who watched him more regularly have longed reached a near-unanimous contrarian verdict.

Anyway, in Brendan (and his scouts) we trust, and if Vesty ends up here he'll have my full-throated support. :scarf:    

Edited by NaijaFox

10 minutes ago, Kierzz said:

Was very impressed with him in the euros. Especially against England.

Would be a solid signing and would be good backup for Evans or Fofana in the interim.

Also he's a CB who is great in the air which we have desperately needed since Maguire left

Shouldn't buy players on performance at tournaments alone, how was he at Southampton? I don't know..... I'll look on the saints forum.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

All this comes crashing down though if the player is as the fans have said and then we're left saying we should have listened, ala Ayoze Perez. 

What we do know is he lacks pace and defensively he's suspect. Two things that when they rear their head and get exposed will quite quickly be picked apart by our fan base. What he has in his favour though is he's good on the ball and will be a welcome addition at defending and attacking set pieces. Hopefully the latter two elements outweigh the weaknesses and playing in a superior team may help that.

Yes I get this, I think you can argue this for most modern defenders, Cags has defensive frailties, as does Johnny as for Lil’ Wes. 

We tend to be okay because we’ve got Wilf and as a team we’re normally okay at defending unless, we leave ourselves exposed to a counter and set plays. 

One thing we lack is height at the back. He probably won’t solve any issues in regards to conversing on the counter, but that’s a team issue…

But set plays he probably can, would mean we could leave another attacking player out of the box. 

There’s pro’s and cons to everything, I’d say if signing Jannik means we might be able to splash a few more quid on a wide player I’m game. 

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Its tricky this , if we buy the quality we need , he will expect to start even when Jonny is fit. If we go stop gap , he will be surplus to requirements somewhere else I.e. not good enough. It is still a consideration to try and get through somehow with what we have. 

Based on what? He wasn't even a regular starter at Southampton until last season.

He has to EARN his place in the squad, and if he earns a starting slot over Evans (or anyone else), all good for the team.

It’s about the strength in depth. Benkovic clearly isn’t rated enough else he would’ve started Saturday. Evans will be back in a month. We’ve got a lot of games to play. What if Amartey gets injured? Brendan has said different teams will pose different challenges. Ideally come the end of September we’d have Evans and Soyuncu as the settled pairing. But Evans won’t be able to play every game. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Horibbly Wrong said:

Good. Buy him for 15 then sell this time next year for at least the same with inflation at 5%

Considering he'll be out of contract that might prove difficult.

2 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Just looked at saintsweb forum and all of the posts on his thread just say just sell, good riddance or been garbage for us or passing ok defending awful. This doesn't fill me with any confidence, would rather have fans reluctant to sell a player.

When he was first linked to us, many posters here were questioning why we were after him, especially given the Southampton fans comments as well.

But he then had a strong run of form, and performed well during the Euros.

I trust our scouts to get this right, they would have done a lot of analysis before coming to the conclusion he's right for us.

And yes, we have made mistakes in the transfer window - what club doesn't? - but many of them have been where the manager has lobbied for the transfer rather than our scouting department e.g. Ghezzal, Diabate, and the inflated price for Slimani. 

5 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

He is pretty good statistically. Good in the air as you’d expect, good on the ball, and dangerous, presumably from set plays. He addresses an obvious weakness for us in that regard. 

D6F0D8CE-760F-4798-99FF-2742A2C4FC99.jpeg

Thank you for sharing this, was hoping someone would post this.

Looks strong in the air in both penalty areas, gives us an added attacking threat, comfortable on the ball with strong tackle and clearance stats.

Surprised by how low his passing stats are given what's been said about him. Also, he won't press from defence so will be different in how he plays to Fofana. Given pressing is also Soyuncu's style of play, Vestegaard might complement Soyuncu well. 

Edited by lcfc_forever

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

If we do sign Vestergaard or Tarkowski, etc, I am going to suspect it says as much about Jonny’s fitness as Fofana’s. :(

Think this is why it's so important. Fofana being out would mean our centre back options essentially reverted to 2019/20's options, no Fofana, but it's the lack of Evans too with virtually no sign of a return anytime soon.

We've hit circumstances that are very tough to prepare for. Losing Fofana for 6+ months and Evans, who knows how long he'll be, wouldn't be shocked if he was 3 months himself. Even if Amartey isn't as bad as expected that's just way too big a risk to take especially with the number of games we'll play, and we can't assume we'll get a group as generous as last season either. Imagine we lose Soyuncu? We'd be in serious bother.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Thank you for sharing this, was hoping someone would post this.

Looks strong in the air in both penalty areas, gives us an added attacking threat, comfortable on the ball with strong tackle and clearance stats.

Surprised by how low his passing stats are given what's been said about him. Also, he won't press from defence so will be very different to Fofana. Given that's also Soyuncu's style of play, Vestegaard might complement Soyuncu well. 

Yeah he is quite different to Fofana, as you say he won’t come front foot out of defence to intercept and press like Wes does so well. He will step out with the ball though, like Wes does.

89FAE12F-AD33-4FAE-B66B-1D2927663CE9.jpeg

32A3DD71-11CF-4F91-A8FD-4FFBF302F907.jpeg

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Shouldn't buy players on performance at tournaments alone, how was he at Southampton? I don't know..... I'll look on the saints forum.

The scouts have been watching him long before the tournament.

He's very exposed at Southampton with very little protection in front of him from the central midfield. Also was class at the start of this season. 

Would take him for 15million. May finally sort out us conceding set pieces when he plays

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sdb said:

Can't help thinking there are better options, but can also thibk of plenty worse. I trust our scouts. 

He is only costing us the same as we sold Schlupp for 4 years ago. Proven Prem player and international, knows Kasper well. Like you say, we could do a lot worse.

Would be quite happy with this. Proven experience in the PL and adds some much needed height to our back line. Even if he stops just a couple of goals each season from corners/free kicks those points could be the difference come the end of the season given our recent finishes. 

1 minute ago, lcfc_forever said:

When he was first linked to us, many posters here were questioning why we were after him, especially given the Southampton fans comments as well.

But he then had a strong run of form, and performed well during the Euros.

I trust our scouts to get this right, they would have done a lot of analysis before coming to the conclusion he's right for us.

And yes, we have made mistakes in the transfer window - what club doesn't? - but many of them have been where the manager has lobbied for the transfer rather than our scouting department e.g. Ghezzal, Diabate, and the inflated price for Slimani. 

You should literally only trust what our recruitment team and the process that goes into picking the players with the right qualities we need. This is hard when it goes against the opinion of fans that will have a better take on the player. Sometimes player’s often discarded or criticised can be brought into a system where their skill set can work and this may bring success. Brendan touched on this briefly, that the club do look for players often seemed as failing or failed. Watch Moneyball a good film to explain how analysis, good man management and taking chances on discarded players can work. Trust it and go with it. 

• Like 2