Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

• 1 month later...

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-factor-so-annoying-7825696

Leicester City factor 'so annoying' as manager forced to make 'unpleasant' call
Jannik Vestergaard played every match for Denmark at the Euros last year, but he has been excluded from their squad for the World Cup after 10 months without a Premier League start

Leicester City centre-back Jannik Vestergaard will not be going to the World Cup with Denmark (Image: Leicester City via Getty Images)

A lack of Leicester City action was decisive in the “unpleasant” call Denmark boss Kasper Hjulmand had to make to Jannik Vestergaard to tell him he would not be travelling to Qatar for the World Cup.

Hjulmand named the final five players for his squad at the weekend, ending Vestergaard’s hopes that he would be called up as centre-back support. The 30-year-old has been in Denmark’s travelling party for the past two major tournaments, playing every game in their run to the semi-finals at last year’s Euros, but he will be watching events in Qatar from afar.

Vestergaard’s lack of club football has been significant in his fall down the Denmark pecking order. He has not played a single minute for City in the Premier League this season, his last start coming in January, the 3-2 defeat to Spurs. His only games this term have been in the Carabao Cup against Stockport and Newport.

Hjulmand, who visited Vestergaard at City in the build-up to his decision, said it was “so annoying” that the centre-back had not been able to play more often. Vestergaard rejected a switch to Fulham in the summer because he believed he would get chances at City.

“It was hard to call him,” Hjulmand said. “I cannot explain how much I appreciate Jannik. During the time I have been national coach, he has been solid support.

“He has played really, really good international matches. He has been a great leader. He has a head that I like, and he has a personality that has shaped our group.

“Unfortunately, it is not just this autumn that he has not played. That was also the case in the spring. We brought him in in June, even though he hadn't played all spring. It's so annoying that he hasn't had more matches.

“I really hoped he would. I have also been over to visit him. It's hard when it's a player and a person you care about and who has done really well. I hope I don't grow out of thinking it's unpleasant or regrettable, but it's not the best part of the job to call and say something like that, and give a message that he is not going to the World Cup.”

Following the news of his exclusion from the squad, Vestergaard posted a heartfelt message to social media. He said he did not expect to be in his current predicament, and that he was missing out on a boyhood dream.

He wrote: “A year ago when I was part of a historic [Euros] finals and later World Cup qualification, I probably didn't think I'd be in this situation, but a very unlucky sporting 2022 later and here I am. It hurts to have to wave goodbye to a boy's dream.

“Representing Denmark has brought me the greatest experiences in my career but this battle is not the end. I wish the team, the staff and all the Danish fans a good tournament.”

• Haha 1

Would be great to know why he didn't move? 

I'm sure there's more to this than meets the eye, and probably a lot of stuff we don't know. 

Does seem odd that he didn't want to move to better his chances once we had accepted an offer though. Maybe he wasn't getting the assurances from the clubs interested that he will play enough to be called up for the internationals. Or not paid enough. 

Either way, I don't think he can turn around and say it's the club's fault for not giving him a chance, either to play or to move. 

He's been given opportunities, even before summer, to prove he can make it for us. He didn't take them. He's been given an opportunity to move. He didn't take it. 

• Like 3

He made the wrong call,he got burnt…

I sympathise with him,in how it’s ran it’s course,from those young boys dreams.

but he forgot the practicality of life,that many  ( of us ) experience on those major calls that one has to face..

I thought with his International ( not Soto) performances,he would be a good addition to our squad, but somehow his foxes career never got out of the den..

and he seemed to fail on his strengths…

• Like 1

He would’ve been going into Fulham as 3rd/4th choice as well so he probably thought the chances wouldn’t be any better

He said he thought we were happy with him and he would be getting a fair chance, and there was no difference in the money on offer

https://www.teamtalk.com/leicester-city/vestergaard-baffled-urges-rodgers-could-help-another-omission

“I must honestly admit that I do not know what has happened. I came back to the club after the summer holiday and after the two international matches for Denmark with victories over Austria and the world champions France.

“I spoke to the club and got the clear impression that they were happy with me, that we started from scratch in the new season and that I was given the same chance as everyone else to play.

“But when the league started, I was suddenly completely outside and have only started in one cup match, where I played well and we kept a clean sheet. Afterwards, I was on the outside again.

“Leicester announced early on that they wanted to keep me and confirmed that I was doing well and that we were starting the new season from scratch,” he said.

“I bought that message with all the loyalty I have for my club and the people in and around it. So I expected to stay at Leicester and have a good second season.

“I don’t want to talk so concretely about money. But I have also heard myself that some speculate that I stayed at Leicester because of the salary. But it was never because of money. I don’t know where this kind of thing comes from; it’s pure rubbish.

“There was no difference in economics. At the time, it still seemed like a better sporting option to stay in Leicester.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have zero sympathy for him regarding the World Cup call up. He seems a decent enough bloke but the writing was on the wall with his time at Leicester at Christmas last year. He quickly dropped to last choice CB and has never recovered from that squad position. Even Soyuncu, who Rodgers clearly has a major disagreement with, is preferred. He's barely made the bench all season. He's seen multiple CMs play in CB ahead of him. He isn't stupid - he will know he hasn't been a fans favourite and his attributes doesn't fit the style of play at the club. The transfer was a total miss, so to say he didn't expect his national place to be jeopardised in a World Cup year is either incredibly naïve, a lie, or denial.

Since then he's had two transfer windows to do something about it, particularly this summer were we are very strongly led to believe he has had opportunities to move and play first team football at a good level (Brentford, Fulham, Galatasaray etc all rumoured). Despite being in this situation for the best part of 12 months now, he has chosen to stay. Whether that's financially motivated or not, he probably knew that his opportunities were going to be very limited so this feels like entirely his doing.

Hopefully he packs his bags for good in January and we recoup a reasonable enough fee. Honking signing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

He would’ve been going into Fulham as 3rd/4th choice as well so he probably thought the chances wouldn’t be any better

He said he thought we were happy with him and he would be getting a fair chance, and there was no difference in the money on offer

https://www.teamtalk.com/leicester-city/vestergaard-baffled-urges-rodgers-could-help-another-omission

“I must honestly admit that I do not know what has happened. I came back to the club after the summer holiday and after the two international matches for Denmark with victories over Austria and the world champions France.

“I spoke to the club and got the clear impression that they were happy with me, that we started from scratch in the new season and that I was given the same chance as everyone else to play.

“But when the league started, I was suddenly completely outside and have only started in one cup match, where I played well and we kept a clean sheet. Afterwards, I was on the outside again.

“Leicester announced early on that they wanted to keep me and confirmed that I was doing well and that we were starting the new season from scratch,” he said.

“I bought that message with all the loyalty I have for my club and the people in and around it. So I expected to stay at Leicester and have a good second season.

“I don’t want to talk so concretely about money. But I have also heard myself that some speculate that I stayed at Leicester because of the salary. But it was never because of money. I don’t know where this kind of thing comes from; it’s pure rubbish.

“There was no difference in economics. At the time, it still seemed like a better sporting option to stay in Leicester.”

It probably fits the history that Rodgers has a habit of saying one thing then doing completely the other. 

But perhaps Vestergaard wasn't up to scratch. 

'a better sporting option' to stay here even though by that time he'd realised he wasn't playing much? That bit doesn't make sense. 

Probably started from scratch and club realised he still wasn't good enough or up to standard compared to everyone else. 

9 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

A lot of fair points in there but he's not 3rd/4th choice with us. He's behind Faes (and previously Fofana), Evans, Amartey, and even Soyuncu who is in a contract stalemate and perceived dispute with the manager. That's 5th choice straight away. Rodgers has also used Ndidi ahead of him in the PL when available. So he's 6th choice.

A move to Fulham or another club would have offered him a fresh start, a chance to play in a system which maybe suited his attributes better, and a squad with less depth and therefore easier to break into. He's chosen to overlook and stick with a status quo that was clearly not working for him.

The only thing which he might have in his favour is that, due to our financial situation and lack of recruitment, the club may have told him to stay put. However, if the rumours they accepted offers are true then that doesn't stack up either.

If he was going to be 3/4th choice at Fulham on the same wages as he is here and had been told that he would be on a clean slate at LCFC. With Fofana on the cards of leaving, perhaps he did think 'better the devil you know.'

I'm sure BR did speak to him and say what was stated above, but the problem has arisen as he just isn't good enough. BR sees him everyday in training and even if he had been given a clean slate, if he wasnt cutting it in training then he is not going to be picked. 

I don't think anyone is to blame for how this has panned out, its just one of those 'shit happens' moments. 

• Like 4

Don't get why some people seem to rejoice at this. I've made plenty of bad career decisions, but my career isn't 10-15 years long. 

Based on the above, I can understand why he may have thought he should stay. Turns out it was a mistake but there you go.

• Like 4

Panic buying by City!

But why they chose two end-of-career fill-ins, rather than someone going somewhere like Faes and trusting in Thomas, is the fault of piß-poor recruitment and management (as far as Thomas was concerned). City got absolutely f**k-all out of Bertrand and, surely, Vestergaard had his future at City in his own hands and failed to impress. There are some rare players you'd take anyway - despite their club form. He just wasn't up to it. 

We accepted offers from Fulham and Bournemouth too I believe.  If that was not saying to him time to go then he needs a course in self-awareness.  He stayed purely for the wages and gambled that history would be enough for him to get into the Denmark team.  The manager had already said that he would not pick players who are not playing for their club.  Only has himself to blame and will hopefully be looking to go in January.  I doubt we will stand in his way.

lol if he believed Rodgers words over his actions then he deserves everything he gets.

It was clear he wasn't favoured here, even after we wasted so much money on him. He'd have to be beyond stupid to think he'd get a sniff of a chance unless about 3/4 players got injured.

Ultimately, if he’d played and been top notch, he’d be going. He couldn’t get into our team, past a player in Amartey that until recently was dropping flankers leading to goals every week. 

If you’re good enough, you go. 

Enjoy your holiday Yannick. 

2 hours ago, bmt said:

Don't get why some people seem to rejoice at this. I've made plenty of bad career decisions, but my career isn't 10-15 years long. 

Based on the above, I can understand why he may have thought he should stay. Turns out it was a mistake but there you go.

You can't compare a Premier League player to a normal career like the rest of us. He should have enough saved by now, to not have to worry about money for the rest of his life. So if the World Cup was his boyhood dream, he should have made it happen. In his words, his salary at Fulham wouldn't have been much different anyway.

He's a bit stupid if he thought he would get more minutes here than at Fulham who were willing to pay good money for him.