Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Patson Daka

On 14/09/2023 at 20:18, Jobyfox said:

This is like my previous comment on goalkeepers. I should just accept that I’m an old fashioned Luddite. 

“Defensive forward”? WTF? I just want my striker to provide goals and assists. 

Didn't we score 2 goals against Saints because our forwards defended high up the pitch? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KP Fox said:

Didn't we score 2 goals against Saints because our forwards defended high up the pitch? 

I guess so if that’s what we’re calling it now? I’d call it closing the defenders down or, in modern parlance, a high press 

To be honest my earlier comment was very much tongue in cheek. What I really should have said was: “I don’t think Patson Daka is an effective striker (on his most recent form for us) despite what stats might say about him being a good ‘defensive’ forward”

Edited by Jobyfox

Every week that passes with the club trolling Facebook Zambia the more I like it. I had a lot of time for Daka, I'm pretty much indifferent to the lad now thanks to their continual whining. Don't they have something like local teams to support? It seems a bit unhealthy to be investing this much emotional energy in a millionaire football player.

_101801735_gettyimages-623580096.jpg

• Like 2

Just throwing down some curve balls & odd Googly..

# could he play the Ndidi Role

* could he play the Mcateer role

* could he play the Mavididi role

Though the 2 star questions,we have already happily covered those positions with 5 wingers,but again why not..

# Nacho open play last night was one of those typical Foxes fans frustrations,

so why not this W.End give Daka a run out…Vardy the natural 1st sub..

# Ndidi,’s position I don’t see why not. If Enzo still loves asking the question.

Enzo has now proven he is willing to pull out new variations and rotate player/position and with some slight twists

Myself I would be happy to give all the players on our Profi/1st Team experienced a run out.
with Enzo still trying out combinations early in the season. Especially in these 2 games a week scenario.

let’s face it,last night & Southampton, hardly any fan  called it..( Selection) on the nights.

So we know none of us know anything at the moment,and we are ticking over quite fine

Up to now.. Despite FT first 6-8 pages of sort of accepting the idea with total confusion..

This is one reason I prefer to lay low and let selection & game flow find each other,

instead of imitating Fido’s melt down barking, when the postman comes.

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I'd like to see him start soon over Nacho, fresh start for everyone under Enzo, lets see what he can do

...Maresca said he worked with Vardy in the International break, I wonder if he felt that Daka was worth the time as well!!!

They are supposed to play the same way and he has taken the opportunity to adjust his game to enhance the team. I would like to think he felt that Daka could adjust his game to contribute to the effort.

5 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Enzo has now proven he is willing to pull out new variations and rotate player/position and with some slight twists

Myself I would be happy to give all the players on our Profi/1st Team experienced a run out.
with Enzo still trying out combinations early in the season. Especially in these 2 games a week scenario.

...I do think he believes in the system more than the individuals within the team!!!

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Maresca said he worked with Vardy in the International break, I wonder if he felt that Daka was worth the time as well!!!

They are supposed to play the same way and he has taken the opportunity to adjust his game to enhance the team. I would like to think he felt that Daka could adjust his game to contribute to the effort.

You’d like to think so but Patson was away so missed that chance to work with Enzo

• Like 1

Vardy has a superior football IQ I think. 

You’ve also got the added complication thrown in of the next game triggers a substantial further payment on a player that has asked to leave the club. 

Souttar and Daka are out in the cold. Again, potentially up for sale in January.

The other have got into the system and cracked on with it.

Daka is third choice and with both of our two strikers ahead of him fit, he isn’t going to get minutes nor does he need to.

I’d rather bring Vardy on for Nacho or vice versa at the moment.

if Vardy or Nacho get injured then I can see us playing him and paying the appearance related fee

16 hours ago, Daggers said:

Every week that passes with the club trolling Facebook Zambia the more I like it. I had a lot of time for Daka, I'm pretty much indifferent to the lad now thanks to their continual whining. Don't they have something like local teams to support? It seems a bit unhealthy to be investing this much emotional energy in a millionaire football player.

_101801735_gettyimages-623580096.jpg

Remember the Besiktas fans under every post asking for Ghezzal after his loan? 

11 minutes ago, Finn Claw II said:

Daka is third choice and with both of our two strikers ahead of him fit, he isn’t going to get minutes nor does he need to.

I’d rather bring Vardy on for Nacho or vice versa at the moment.

if Vardy or Nacho get injured then I can see us playing him and paying the appearance related fee

Only, Nacho is performing abysmally and Vardy (although playing this role much better), cannot be used every game. My fear is Nacho's performances are dropping off because he is literally undroppable.  An injury to Vardy, and is Nacho going to play every game like this? I think we are going to have to see Daka in the frame at some point and i just assumed he probably needed a little more time after being reintroduced to the squad properly.

After Enzo's discussion with Vardy during the international break, I would like him to try the same tweaks with Daka, just to see if that is viable

I still utterly fail to see why Nacho is ahead of anyone at this moment in time unfortunately, and please do not quote stats from 2+ seasons ago as they are irrelevant when gauging  a players contemporary form

27 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

After Enzo's discussion with Vardy during the international break, I would like him to try the same tweaks with Daka, just to see if that is viable

I still utterly fail to see why Nacho is ahead of anyone at this moment in time unfortunately, and please do not quote stats from 2+ seasons ago as they are irrelevant when gauging  a players contemporary form

It depends what the opposition are going to do, doesn't it. 

If they're going to drop off in a low block and be stubborn then the way we play favours Iheanacho. He can drop in and he contributes more to the build up, if we're being pressed less then his hilarious first touch isn't a problem and his vision and creativity is better than Daka and Vards picking out overlapping runs. 

Norwich was a great example of his redundancy if we're going to be pressed high up the pitch though. We were screaming out for a someone to make runs behind their centre backs and he was dreadful trying to get the ball under control under pressure, where as Vards is far more willing to just immediately lay the ball off to a team mate with his first touch. 

The way we invite people to come and press us, if they actually do so, despite being set up to retain possession, we almost because a counter attacking side off our own possession. The idea is to draw them forward, beat the press and trigger an attack behind. If teams are going to do that as Southampton, Norwich and Cov at times were willing to do then we'd be much better having Vards or Daka play. 

I suspect this vision is why we signed Cannon. Everyone is obsessed with a striker getting involved in the build up because they think that's what possession teams do but I think that's a slightly two dimensional view of our game plan. 

• Like 4

@Finnegan Thats a given, but Vardy was actually more impressive on when he chose to come deeper to receive the ball than Kel in my opinion, but this is down to Vardy's undeniable nous.

I see no point in not trying Daka against the right sort of opposition, and I totally agree with Cannon, but the Cannon signing must have one eye on AFCON and his potential value both to the team and future monetary value as well as the third/another second option.

If it wasn't already obvious, I am about sick of Kel and his current baseless championing but admit having two similar strikers in Vardy and Dake leaves little option

Edited by Dahnsouff

27 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

@Finnegan Thats a given, but Vardy was actually more impressive on when he chose to come deeper to receive the ball than Kel in my opinion, but this is down to Vardy's undeniable nous.

I see no point in not trying Daka against the right sort of opposition, and I totally agree with Cannon, but the Cannon signing must have one eye on AFCON and his potential value both to the team and future monetary value as well as the third/another second option.

If it wasn't already obvious, I am about sick of Kel and his current baseless championing but admit having two similar strikers in Vardy and Dake leaves little option

But Vardy hasn't really been "dropping in" in the sense of being a 10 / False 9 has he? He's come deep to receive a vertical pass and lay the ball off but that's something a bit different and that's my point. 

That's a key part of our ball progression and Vardy has picked it up really well. It's a three man combination, one of the main ball progressers (progressors? Is it even a word?) pings a quick, hard ball vertically up through the lines and instead of trying to trap it or turn, the receiver with his back to goal lays it off first time to the third man who is facing forward ready to go instantly forward (often Stephy or KDH.)

This sort of lay off or round the corner tap has always been in Vardy's game it's just now being refined in to an established pattern of play that we use to move the ball up the field. Tifo did a really good video  recently on Bayer Leverkusen and Xabi Alonso using the same move to progress. 

But this is all about beating the press and playing vertically through a team with a higher line. This isn't about breaking down a side that's parking the bus. Again, that's very much where Iheanacho is going to come in to his own. Is he the second coming of Messi or even David Silva? No he isn't but he is still comfortably the best of our strikers at coming in to the number 10 role and functioning as an additional playmaker in slower paced games where we need to take our time and break a team down. 

He was the right man to start against Huddersfield, for example. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

.. . 

But this is all about beating the press and playing vertically through a team with a higher line. This isn't about breaking down a side that's parking the bus. Again, that's very much where Iheanacho is going to come in to his own. Is he the second coming of Messi or even David Silva? No he isn't but he is still comfortably the best at our strikers at coming in to the number 10 role and functioning as an additional playmaker in slower paced games where we need to take our time and break a team down. 

He was the right man to start against Huddersfield, for example. 

Fair enough, I am sure plenty of the nuance is lost on me. Having Nacho as the best we have at this, as the more creative forward, contributing to build is what I was referring too, but for whatever reason he is poor at it at the moment. Yes, until Cannon is fit we have little obvious option, but settling for that without trying other options seems a bit defeatist. 

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Fair enough, I am sure plenty of the nuance is lost on me. Having Nacho as the best we have at this, as the more creative forward, contributing to build is what I was referring too, but for whatever reason he is poor at it at the moment. Yes, until Cannon is fit we have little obvious option, but settling for that without trying other options seems a bit defeatist. 

Cannon hasn't been signed as a 10 either, his game is similar to Vardy's. He'll be expected to get in behind as well and any dropping in will be largely to lay off as Vardy is doing now. 

There aren't a lot of forwards out there like Iheanacho, he's a bit of a unique case which is why a string of managers have all been a bit baffled about how to use him. 

I dont think he's been shit this season though. He had a howler against Norwich there's no escaping that. But he's got a goal or assist every 0.5 90s in the league so far. It's a bit mediocre and across a tiny sample size but we know he can do it. Putting up goals and assists has never been his problem, it's what he contributes when we don't have the ball (ie fvck all) that is. 

• Like 2

On 22/09/2023 at 01:14, sacreblueits442 said:

...I do think he believes in the system more than the individuals within the team!!!

It’s nice having a team ethic & character,but the terrace’s still need their individual heroes…Enzo going through coaching school,that individuals can be the managers interface to the fans..

Should be given a go. Kel and Vardy haven't done enough to merit complaint if they're not starting, they have scored 1 goal each in 7 league games. If it had been the other way around and Daka started the season with stats (and performances) like those, people would be ripping their hair out. It's not all about goals in different systems, but then they've not done huge amounts of the other work very well have they?