Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Patson Daka

14 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

But it absolutely baffles me that Soumare can get a move to Europa League winners and current Champions League side Sevilla but Daka's move to Bournemouth fell through.

I got the impression that Bournemouth pulled out of the loan deal for financial reasons at the last minute. Their striker Kieffer Moore rejected a deadline day loan deal, so their budget wouldn't cover taking Daka on loan?

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

I got the impression that Bournemouth pulled out of the loan deal for financial reasons at the last minute. Their striker Kieffer Moore rejected a deadline day loan deal, so their budget wouldn't cover taking Daka on loan?

Ah fair enough. I'd have thought he would have more takers though. I feel a bit for him really because a lot of teams are crying out for goalscorers.

14 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

On loan I'd be ok with this, but I think selling him would be a strange decision given the current contract situation of our strikers.

I think we'll be talking with Ndidi and Nacho's agent by Jan if they haven't already. If we go back up 37 year old Vardy is bound to want a last hurrah in the Prem.

Daka had two very ineffective seasons up there with us. Get a fee for him, invest in a new striker. Having two guys out of contract doesn't mean you keep one that hasn't performed.

3 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

Ah fair enough. I'd have thought he would have more takers though. I feel a bit for him really because a lot of teams are crying out for goalscorers.

Teams looking for goalscorers are not going to take on Daka. 

Now he is starting to get minutes he needs to show he is good enough or better than this league and start scoring goals if he wants a move away. Unfortunately I don't think he has it in him. Hoping to be proved wrong though. 

8 minutes ago, iancognito said:

I think we'll be talking with Ndidi and Nacho's agent by Jan if they haven't already. If we go back up 37 year old Vardy is bound to want a last hurrah in the Prem.

Daka had two very ineffective seasons up there with us. Get a fee for him, invest in a new striker. Having two guys out of contract doesn't mean you keep one that hasn't performed.

I've made no secret of the fact I quite rate Daka, I think some of the criticism he gets on here is wildly over the top and I don't think he's exclusively at fault for not shining here. I think with the right move, he'll still end up leaving and making us regret not having got more out of him a la Kramaric. 

However, short of a major redemption arc, he has to go. Either the manager truly, earnestly, doesn't rate him (and I just can't see that being the case) to such an extent he's refused to even give him a try - in which case there's no point keeping players Enzo doesnt want. Or, he's refused to contribute in the Championship or at very least been very wishy washy and uncommitted. 

I think it would be a morale disaster if, on promotion, he suddenly wants to play again because we're back in the Premier League and we decide to let him. Yes, I think you should be pragmatic, yes I think you put the club first before sentiment but I think that would be the ultimate slap in the face for everyone that's grafted hard for promotion. 

So I just think his time here is up and I've made peace with that personally. 90% certain our striking options next season will be either a new signing or an extended Iheanacho, Cannon as the young apprentice and Vards as the backup on a year's extension. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I've made no secret of the fact I quite rate Daka, I think some of the criticism he gets on here is wildly over the top and I don't think he's exclusively at fault for not shining here. I think with the right move, he'll still end up leaving and making us regret not having got more out of him a la Kramaric. 

However, short of a major redemption arc, he has to go. Either the manager truly, earnestly, doesn't rate him (and I just can't see that being the case) to such an extent he's refused to even give him a try - in which case there's no point keeping players Enzo doesnt want. Or, he's refused to contribute in the Championship or at very least been very wishy washy and uncommitted. 

I think it would be a morale disaster if, on promotion, he suddenly wants to play again because we're back in the Premier League and we decide to let him. Yes, I think you should be pragmatic, yes I think you put the club first before sentiment but I think that would be the ultimate slap in the face for everyone that's grafted hard for promotion. 

So I just think his time here is up and I've made peace with that personally. 90% certain our striking options next season will be either a new signing or an extended Iheanacho, Cannon as the young apprentice and Vards as the backup on a year's extension. 

I don’t think he has proven himself but at the same time I agree he is not as bad as some fans make him out to be. Typical.

Let’s not forget Rodgers played him as lone striker. Even Vardy the expert was not effective in that role the last few seasons because of Rodgers’ negative tactics with the ball rarely getting up to him. Daka playing that role was worst as he is not a lone striker plus he had very little service. His ball control is not great so when he had the ball 50 yards from goal or on the side he wasn’t able to do much - I noticed that. But what was he supposed to do with such little service and he is not a Nacho who can come deeper.

I see him laughs in training and on the bench he looks content. I think Enzo said he is very professional. So I very much doubt him not playing has anything to do with Daka’s attitude. More that there is some commercial reason Enzo could not even give him 15 mins every now and then. It is not like our opposition is doing much against us these days (apart from Sunderland).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Good post.

I'm not as convinced we'll have regrets over him, but I think you're spot on with the rest.

Not getting him a loan was a big disappointment, as this year is going to be a total waste for him (and us!).

Kramaric didn’t end up making us regret him leaving though.

He always sat second fiddle to Vardy and while a good player, never became as good as him and was never getting in our side. And he probably wouldn’t have been as good had he not left and sat on the bench for years anyway.

Daka is currently 3rd choice behind 2 strikers clearly better than him. He’s unlikely to become as good as them and even if he is, it won’t be while sitting on the bench after them. 

He won’t make us regret anything, if he leaves and ends up better than Vardy and Iheanacho, which I think is very unlikely, it will be *because* he left and got extra time to develop rather than sitting on the bench here or illogically and stupidly throwing him in the side ahead of 2 better strikers in the hope that he may eventually become better than them.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Kramaric didn’t end up making us regret him leaving though.

He always sat second fiddle to Vardy and while a good player, never became as good as him and was never getting in our side. And he probably wouldn’t have been as good had he not left and sat on the bench for years anyway.

Daka is currently 3rd choice behind 2 strikers clearly better than him. He’s unlikely to become as good as them and even if he is, it won’t be while sitting on the bench after them. 

He won’t make us regret anything, if he leaves and ends up better than Vardy and Iheanacho, which I think is very unlikely, it will be *because* he left and got extra time to develop rather than sitting on the bench here or illogically and stupidly throwing him in the side ahead of 2 better strikers in the hope that he may eventually become better than them.

Spot on!

It’s a squad game and we won the Premier League after letting Kramaric go and went on to finish 5th in the Premier League twice and won the FA Cup. We can’t hoard players in the hope that at some point they might be dusted down and proved useful. 

Sometimes it’s just wrong time and wrong place. That might be the case for Patson Daka. If he goes it will be with no regrets and that’s what will happen pending a remarkable turnaround in performance (ala Vestergaard) from here 

2 hours ago, iancognito said:

True. But there's no guarantee Vardy and/or Iheanacho will be here next season. What if we can't agree a new deal with either of them? What if they both get a better offer from elsewhere? Then we're heading into the next summer's window with Cannon, who has almost no PL experience, as our only striker. Sure, we could bring other strikers in, but it's a rather uncertain and vulnerable position to leave yourself in imo. I say loan out Daka, let him try to get some game time and some form, and then see want we we want to do with him next summer.

30 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

True. But there's no guarantee Vardy and/or Iheanacho will be here next season. What if we can't agree a new deal with either of them? What if they both get a better offer from elsewhere? Then we're heading into the next summer's window with Cannon, who has almost no PL experience, as our only striker. Sure, we could bring other strikers in, but it's a rather uncertain and vulnerable position to leave yourself in imo. I say loan out Daka, let him try to get some game time and some form, and then see want we we want to do with him next summer.

In that situation isn’t trying to recruit a striker (using the money we get from Daka), with the risk that they might not be good enough, still better than keeping a player we know isn’t good enough? 

The reality is that we’ll need to recruit a striker or two next season anyway as Vardy isn’t going to last forever 

5 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

In that situation isn’t trying to recruit a striker (using the money we get from Daka), with the risk that they might not be good enough, still better than keeping a player we know isn’t good enough? 

The reality is that we’ll need to recruit a striker or two next season anyway as Vardy isn’t going to last forever 

I'll admit he's looked clumsy and underwhelming. But still, his output of goals + assists per 90 last season was almost double that of Vardy's. Personally, I think there is a decent PL level striker in there with Daka. I just don't think we've had a manager that has fully played to his strengths. Maybe Enzo could be that manager given time.

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I'll admit he's looked clumsy and underwhelming. But still, his output of goals + assists per 90 last season was almost double that of Vardy's. Personally, I think there is a decent PL level striker in there with Daka. I just don't think we've had a manager that has fully played to his strengths. Maybe Enzo could be that manager given time.

Sorry but couldn’t disagree more.

I think we all love Enzo and what he has brought to the table in a coaching/tactical, even passionate figure on the sidelines BUT he has shown to have faith in HIS system which is based on high 8’s/wingers supporting a lone striker who drops deep to influence play.

Daka has not shown an ability to offer any of that and Enzo surely was asked about him going out on loan and that could have easily gone through, if replayed the last transfer window it very likely would have too.

Move Daka on and admit he’s not for us, not saying he’s an awful player just a very tactically limited one IMO.

17 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

I think we all love Enzo and what he has brought to the table in a coaching/tactical, even passionate figure on the sidelines BUT he has shown to have faith in HIS system which is based on high 8’s/wingers supporting a lone striker who drops deep to influence play.

Daka has not shown an ability to offer any of that and Enzo surely was asked about him going out on loan and that could have easily gone through, if replayed the last transfer window it very likely would have too.

Move Daka on and admit he’s not for us, not saying he’s an awful player just a very tactically limited one IMO.

...Possession football is very much becoming the order of the day all over and he (Daka) if he cannot fit into our style will be having a hard time wherever he goes!!!

Not all teams play this way, so it will have to be a niche team, much like a serve and volleyer up against a Baseliner, if you are top class at one style you can't reach the same level switching styles.

...there is a possibility that bringing Daka on at the end if the game was an olive branch from Maresca!!!

Perhaps he (Maresca) feels he can work with Daka and provide one on one coaching that you would think would not have been happening in training. 

If teams are willing to press and go man for man, our outlet could be going more direct and utilising pace. If Maresca can coach Daka to look at the game differently,  receive the ball on the half turn in front of their defence, I think he would shine.

6 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He should have had better numbers than Vardy, he's about ten years younger. The biggest thing with him though is that he doesn't worry defences, he doesn't put himself about. Vardy will chase things, pressure full backs, stay on the defender's shoulder. Watch the goals against Southampton, in one of them Vardy takes 3 defenders with him and actively points to the midfielders running in at the space he's created. I've never once seen Daka make defenders follow him or even put pressure on them, he's easy to play against. Nacho has a different game, he drops ridiculously deep so he's harder to mark but that doesn't stretch the pitch like Vardy.

The club will be totally aware of the striker issue, I can't imagine a situation where they aren't already looking to strengthen should 1 or both of them leave.

• Like 2

It seemed strange to suddenly bring him on in the week after being left out. Probably puts the rumours of it being financial to bed.

Perhaps like others, Enzo didn’t include him pre-September in the expectation he would be leaving. It might be that due to Vardy and Nacho picking up some form by then, he just genuinely hasn’t got minutes but Maresca and his team might have been working with him on his weaknesses in training to try and get some improvement on them to start integrating him back into the team. 

Maresca clearly knows his stuff. Ndidi looked a new player from the off. Vesteragard I thought looked dodgy for the first few games but is now a rock. He threw both in and they adapted whilst in the team. He might have decided Daka needed more time and behind the scenes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

Time will tell.. 

Why even think too hard, We have at present, seemed to have solved many a question, in getting Vardy & Nacho, Mcateer, HEAVILY involved on our score sheet.. Cannon siting in the wings. 

I Don't think there is a fan that wouldn't embrace an another small wonder from

coaching team, rekindling, refitting DAKA into the squad... No panic. 

If I chose a weekend to give him his wings, it would be this one... But Enzo has is own ways, so far nothing worth doubting, or get into a lather about... 

If DAKA at any any game is selected to come on as first choice,  Enzo will have

him pinned in for a brace or more.. 

We mere minions are not in that space to judge that free air.. 

37 minutes ago, VintageFox73 said:

To be fair to Daka, if you add up all his minutes of play it equates to 27 full games , with 9 goals which is one in three. Had a Barny with a guy on FB who was saying  its 56 games hes played and , but you cant say 2 mins here and 4 mins there is a game ! A little bit like Vesty , the haters hate , but his figures are pretty good considering . I think  he just needs to beef a little to become that lean, mean scoring machine , just love an underdog me 

I’m not deliberately being THAT guy but could argue that his lack of minutes was due to his overall contribution.

I seem to recall he started a run of games too, so not sure that anyone could say he didn’t actually have an opportunity to kick on.

Yes, Rodgers is/was an absolute weapon but I still think Daka doesn’t fit the mould of a PL striker in 2023.

10 hours ago, iancognito said:

He should have had better numbers than Vardy, he's about ten years younger. The biggest thing with him though is that he doesn't worry defences, he doesn't put himself about. Vardy will chase things, pressure full backs, stay on the defender's shoulder. Watch the goals against Southampton, in one of them Vardy takes 3 defenders with him and actively points to the midfielders running in at the space he's created. I've never once seen Daka make defenders follow him or even put pressure on them, he's easy to play against. Nacho has a different game, he drops ridiculously deep so he's harder to mark but that doesn't stretch the pitch like Vardy.

The club will be totally aware of the striker issue, I can't imagine a situation where they aren't already looking to strengthen should 1 or both of them leave.

...time to stop being a Vardy clone and be himself, if that cannot happen here, then it will have to be elsewhere, not hard to understand why he would look to leave this club!!!

• 3 weeks later...