Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Patson Daka

27 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/enzo-maresca-makes-patson-daka-8973924

With Vardy and Iheanacho both unavailable for the second straight game, Daka started up front again on Wednesday night, and scored again too, bundling in Wilfred Ndidi’s cross as City beat Millwall 3-2 and returned to the top of the Championship table. Daka has been on the fringes of the team for so long and it’s not the case that he’s going to return there as soon as the other two are fit.

“I’ve been quite clear with them,” Maresca said. “You are playing and you deserve it, but if for any reason you are not playing and we’re playing another one and he’s doing well, now you need to work and come back.

“At this moment, Patson is scoring goals and working hard after three or four months where he waits, waits, waits. For sure, we’re going to trust him and give him more chances, no doubt.”

Love hearing this makes a change from just sticking with favourite players even when out of form . 

2 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

I’ve not previously been much of a Daka fan, but Vardy’s declining powers and an out of form Nacho have opened the door for him. 

I hope he can keep scoring and contributing and make the spot his own. Vestergaard has already proven my judgment wrong this season so I’m not precious about somebody else doing the same 

out of form? I’ve seen more action from a sloth.

he plays like he’d rather  put his gonads through a  cheese grater than play for Leicester.

16 minutes ago, MPH said:

out of form? I’ve seen more action from a sloth.

he plays like he’d rather  put his gonads through a  cheese grater than play for Leicester.

I suppose it’s based on what I expected. I didn’t really expect Vardy to rip up the league at his age and wasn’t keen on Daka. Ian was the one who I thought would really prove himself at this level. 

Instead we’re left with the same doubts and inconsistencies that were there when we were in the Premier League. Nacho is fast going from the one most likely to succeed to the one we’d most like to move on at his current trajectory 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, MPH said:

I’d love to see Daka gain more  confidence, get even more match sharp and bang the goals in.could save us a fortune in January…

Yes ... If he can fit into the Enzo system & do well he could save Leicester millions. Personally I think he is very capable of doing it. I'm sure Enzo realizes this & will be prepared to put in the extra work to make Patson fit the plan.

Goal is great, but he couldn't miss. He does more to occupy defenders than Vardy/Iheanacho have done, even if his touch can be erratic. Won lots of free kicks, and you didn't see him on the half way line receiving a pass and given it back to Vestergaard. Wasn't a night for him in behind, but he does make things happen in other ways just by being a nuisance if nothing else. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JimJams said:

He's brilliant. AND the ultimate Troll! Obviously all too aware of the criticism of him falling over all the time, the lad made a point of falling into the net after he'd scored his goal. Genius.

Yet he has the coordination for all the acrobatics afterwards, proving a point on multiple levels.

14 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Goal is great, but he couldn't miss. He does more to occupy defenders than Vardy/Iheanacho have done, even if his touch can be erratic. Won lots of free kicks, and you didn't see him on the half way line receiving a pass and given it back to Vestergaard. Wasn't a night for him in behind, but he does make things happen in other ways just by being a nuisance if nothing else. 

Agree with this. Has been pointed out a few times since the Plym game. But the difference between Patson and Vardy/ Kel this season is the intensity. When Vardy/ Kel have dropped deep, and then spun to use the space they’ve created it’s not been with any urgency. Whereas Daka is always looking to move into the space, with pace. 

As was highlighted at the start of the season based on stats. Daka is best of the three at pressing from the front, and made a couple of good challenges last night working back. But he also has electric pace. Never understood the questions about whether he is that quick?! He might not be as quick with the ball at his feet. But his pace in behind, especially at this level terrifies defenders and creates more space for the 8’s and wingers. Hopefully, he continues to get a chance, and continues to impress. 

• Like 1

There has been a massive shift in urgency and attacking threat since Daka came into the side, granted Daka isn’t the strongest in possession or receiving the ball with his back to goal, and I think Maresca has favoured Vardy and Kel as a consequence, however like so many others Daka has improved technically and whilst he still has areas to improve, the last 2 games he has looked a lot better playing deeper and receiving the ball. 

What he has given the team is pace and intensity, which as Vardy reaches his twilight is dwindling and Kel has never really had, Daka is explosive which means he can drop in, link up play and then have the pace to make runs into dangerous areas, he has really shown that over the last 2 games, whilst people say he couldn’t miss the chance last night, I am really not sure the other 2 would have been in that position to tap it in and that’s the difference. In this system if Daka can continue to improve technically and tactically he could really thrive. 

He clearly can flourish in this style of play and maybe the better option for us is to keep Daka, sell Kel and have Daka, Cannon and Vardy as our options for the reminder of the season and look for a plan B target man type of option for next season to compliment Daka and Cannon. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

If we’re looking at selling a striker in January, now, it has to be Kelechi. He just doesn’t suit Enzo ball and doesn’t have the work ethic of Daka to make up for his deficiencies in this style. 

I don’t necessarily think that Iheanacho isn’t a fit for Enzo’s style. He has a tendency to drop into the midfield and that’s something required of the striker in Enzo’s system, plus Iheanacho is more of a pass first striker.

It’s just that Daka might actually be a better fit for this system than any of us ever thought, Iheanacho can undo his play with a poor first touch or a lack of focus, he can’t both drop deep and then quickly occupy the opposing back line like Daka can, and Iheanacho is also out of contract  this summer. So I absolutely agree with you that Iheanacho should be the striker that we move on in January.

Agree with the view that it should be Iheanacho going if anyone and Daka, if he wants to stay, should be in the side.

Yes the goal last night was an easy finish but his performances in the past two games have been much better than those by Vardy and Iheanacho. Those still saying he should be out the side or not good enough, are very much those who have decided they don’t like him and even if he played and scored in every game from now until the end of the season would still die on that hill :rolleyes:

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

Which for a player of his PL experience, wages and a club that’s won 17 out of 21 games is a poor return surely?

Pretty much same as Vardy with more  PL experience, higher wages and a club that’s won 17 of 21 games.
I get the unease some have with Nacho’s languid nature, and I get the usual FT Flavour-of-the-Week nature, but perspective helps. 

• Like 1