Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Patson Daka

4 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

If comparing players in similar positions a “deflection” then said “deflection” started by comparing Daka with Nacho…:doh:

I stand by my Flavor-of-the-Week comment, as Daka was even getting “pelters” at half-time of the Millwall game (simply go look at the match thread half-to e comments) - same as when he missed a chance from 2 yards out in the Plymouth game. It’s just the nature fandom (perhaps moreso FT fandom).  Meanwhile, when Nacho was rattling off 4 goals in 4 straight league games earlier in the season, don’t recall much “pelters” (and the ‘deflection’ about wages was to sign him up).

PELTERS, SMELTERS…SMH. 

I think you’re getting worked up way too easily here.

Go back to my first reply to you…someone ELSE said about Iheanacho’s poor season which you took umbrage too.

I clearly said for Nacho’s supposed ability, PL experience and wages it’s fair to say we’d have expected more from him this season….you then brought Vardy into it.

I didn’t compare any of the strikers in my original reply but you carry on being “generous” 🙄

13 hours ago, Bryn said:

I think he’s genuinely a good egg and I don’t think he’s had exhaustive opportunities, though his goals per game is undeniably poor. There’s presumably a reason managers have overlooked him but I’d love to see him succeed.

It really isn’t. There was plenty about this back in the summer, I remember putting some figures out there myself but must admit, it was @Finneganwho was driving the pro-Pat stat campaign more than me!

His minute/games per goal were very good and if I remember, even last season would have translated to something like 15/16 goals over the season in the Premier League. 

If anything, a lot of the criticism he gets and those writing him off, was based on the ‘eye test’ rather than stats. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

It really isn’t. There was plenty about this back in the summer, I remember putting some figures out there myself but must admit, it was @Finneganwho was driving the pro-Pat stat campaign more than me!

His minute/games per goal were very good and if I remember, even last season would have translated to something like 15/16 goals over the season in the Premier League. 

If anything, a lot of the criticism he gets and those writing him off, was based on the ‘eye test’ rather than stats. 

If you focus on goals per binary appearance, as I suspect a lot of people who aren't particularly in to statistics do, you can make basically any striker look shit if they get a few brief sub appearances here and there. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He presses well, something Iheanacho doesn't do and Vardy can no longer do as often. This is important. Winning the ball higher up rather than building every attack from defence is crucial in hurting teams.

I think it's no coincidence we've scored 7 goals in the last 2 games with a striker that moves defences around and hunts in a pack with KDH and Ndidi. 

Millwall hardly touched the ball, so I don’t think the goals against them were down to extra pressing. The goals against Plymouth just came from a great 10 minute burst where we was so on top. 

So I don’t think the extra goals were particularly down to Daka playing differently from the other two. Will be interesting to see how he plays against better quality opposition. 

43 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He presses well, something Iheanacho doesn't do and Vardy can no longer do as often. This is important. Winning the ball higher up rather than building every attack from defence is crucial in hurting teams.

I think it's no coincidence we've scored 7 goals in the last 2 games with a striker that moves defences around and hunts in a pack with KDH and Ndidi. 

I think it also mainly helps we’ve played our strongest midfield, not to discount Daka 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Viva said:

Millwall hardly touched the ball, so I don’t think the goals against them were down to extra pressing. The goals against Plymouth just came from a great 10 minute burst where we was so on top. 

So I don’t think the extra goals were particularly down to Daka playing differently from the other two. Will be interesting to see how he plays against better quality opposition. 

We pressed as a team incredibly vs Plymouth. We won the ball high up more than I can recall us doing in any other game this season.

Daka was pulling their team all over the place. I could watch his movement for his goal all day, it was electric.

11 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Presume this means we’ve activated this clause which was suggested we owe Salzburg money if he played another game? (Has played 3 since?) unless it’s untrue? 

That was obviously not true, given the first of those appearances was a 3 minute sub appearance v Sunderland 

I don't feel remotely sorry for Daka. Last season he had ample opportunity to play. But the reality is, to date, bar that great game in Europe. He has woefully underperformed on the potential we thought we had brought. That said, if he now finds his mojo and the penny truly drops. Then he could turn out to be a resource. But my jury remains out for now. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

He really is. Some idiots think he’s dross. You couldn’t write it really. I hope he stays as our main striker now. He’s jolly good. 

I'm more pleased than anyone that he's getting a chance,  believe me. But to suggest thinking he wasn't good enough based on his time here makes you an idiot,  is mental. He's never, ever shone. Apart from one game in Russia 

• Like 3

Just now, ronnup said:

I'm more pleased than anyone that he's getting a chance,  believe me. But to suggest thinking he wasn't good enough based on his time here makes you an idiot,  is mental. He's never, ever shone. Apart from one game in Russia 

He scored 9 PL goals in 2346 minutes across two seasons, a goal every 260 minutes and works out to being a 13 goal a season striker in the top flight. That's pretty respectable. If he's "never ever shone" consider how difficult it is to shine when limited to cameos off the bench 

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

He scored 9 PL goals in 2346 minutes across two seasons, a goal every 260 minutes and works out to being a 13 goal a season striker in the top flight. That's pretty respectable. If he's "never ever shone" consider how difficult it is to shine when limited to cameos off the bench 

Not sure what your point is. I was suggesting it's not crazy to suggest he's never shone...yes largely due to chances at times, but it doesn't make you an idiot for not being sure he's going to make it does it? Doesn't have to be such a black and white debate 

32 minutes ago, ronnup said:

Not sure what your point is. I was suggesting it's not crazy to suggest he's never shone...yes largely due to chances at times, but it doesn't make you an idiot for not being sure he's going to make it does it? Doesn't have to be such a black and white debate 

I think if you'd drawn any conclusions on whether he's good enough based on a handful of sub appearances you're a bit of a fool tbh

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

If you focus on goals per binary appearance, as I suspect a lot of people who aren't particularly in to statistics do, you can make basically any striker look shit if they get a few brief sub appearances here and there. 

Exactly the same happened with Slimani. When you broke down his goals per appearance he looked poor, when you look at his goals relative to his playing time he had the best goals per minute record at the club for a lot of his time here, we also had a really silly habit of bringing him on (the only striker capable of winning headers) and taking off Albrighton, the only player that could cross it into him 😂 we would spent the entire game crossing the ball into Okazaki/Vardy, then bring on Slimani and start playing it into feet lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronnup said:

He’s never ever been given a proper chance and yes, I know it’s hard to actually believe, but some idiots do post on this forum. I’m shocked too. 

3 hours ago, majaco said:

If we go up, I would be happy with Daka as our cf.  He's our biggest goal threat.

He already has had his chance in the Prem. We can't afford to rely on him as our goal threat if we go back up.

If we do go back up the clubs going to have to spend some cash because this team will be like Burnley otherwise.

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Works both ways though tbf. The same was true of Iheanacho and Slimani - that they had excellent goals to minutes ratios but never really did it when they started.

Coming on in the last 20 minutes of games when everyone is tired is an inherent advantage compared to players who play full 90 minutes and so often perennial substitutes have warped stastics that make the player look a lot better than they actually are if you solely concentrate on goals to minutes ratios.

• Like 1