Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Patson Daka

15 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

I think you’re getting worked up way too easily here.

Go back to my first reply to you…someone ELSE said about Iheanacho’s poor season which you took umbrage too.

I clearly said for Nacho’s supposed ability, PL experience and wages it’s fair to say we’d have expected more from him this season….you then brought Vardy into it.

I didn’t compare any of the strikers in my original reply but you carry on being “generous” 🙄

You’re the one who seem to be getting frankly butthurt…lol

It’s a thread about Daka and someone brought Nacho into it (never said it was you, but understand why comprehension might be difficult when “you’re worked up” :D), so blathering on about ‘deflection’ by my bringing in another player in the same role to lend some perspective to the discourse seems oddly irrational. SMH

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He presses well, something Iheanacho doesn't do and Vardy can no longer do as often. This is important. Winning the ball higher up rather than building every attack from defence is crucial in hurting teams.

I think it's no coincidence we've scored 7 goals in the last 2 games with a striker that moves defences around and hunts in a pack with KDH and Ndidi.

No disrespect to Daka (he’s earned the accolades), but we scored 7 goals in the two consecutive games against Blackburn and Preston with Vardy and Nacho.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

You could argue that our recent Goal exploits has as much to do with NDiddi coming back into the Team.

Daka has looked better in recent games than both Vardy and Kelechi. For a start he has a lot more pace.

He's probably earned the right to stay in the Team for Monday night's game.

Agree, and more importantly Enzo seems to be leaning that way as well (extrapolating from his last presser).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Doctor said:

He scored 9 PL goals in 2346 minutes across two seasons, a goal every 260 minutes and works out to being a 13 goal a season striker in the top flight. That's pretty respectable. If he's "never ever shone" consider how difficult it is to shine when limited to cameos off the bench 

I'm generally on Daka's side but what are the average minutes per striker in the division? You couldn't assume anybody will play every single minute.

22 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Pretty sure I had this debate with someone, might even have been you, last year and completely debunked this. It just isn't particularly statistically true. 

Rodgers, for example, would often bring on a substitute striker in a game in which the forward had no service and change nothing tactically and the replacement would get no chances. 

And frequently teams bring on strikers late in games when they're losing and desperate and already by far the worse team and, surprise surprise, don't score. 

Both anecdotally and statistically this argument just doesn't really hold water. 

Absolutely. Or bring on a striker while you’re 2-0 up and just seeing the game out. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Absolutely. Or bring on a striker while you’re 2-0 up and just seeing the game out. 

This might actually be an even better example than the ones I gave but yeah either way. 

Whilst fresh legs vs tired defenders makes sense superficially, it just doesn't marry up with reality and ignores an absolute mountain of other contexts.

And like I said, pretty sure this exact thing was brought up regards Daka's minutes per goals last year and I went and checked and the vast majority of his goals were scored when he started games, not as a sub. It's just not true really at all. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, honeybradger said:

Why are some of our fans so obsessed with Cannon? He could be good, he could be bad, so far there is very little to go off of.

You've literally highlighted "once he's proven himself". The point is Vardy and Iheanacho haven't really done it yet, Dakas looked good, Cannon hasn't even had a start. If Cannon looks good then maybe him over Daka but currently the first choice striker shouldn't be Vardy or Iheanacho 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

You've literally highlighted "once he's proven himself". The point is Vardy and Iheanacho haven't really done it yet, Dakas looked good, Cannon hasn't even had a start. If Cannon looks good then maybe him over Daka but currently the first choice striker shouldn't be Vardy or Iheanacho 

The way it's phrased makes it seem like it's guaranteed that he will prove himself, it should be 'whether' he comes good not 'once' he comes good. Personally i would be surprised if he displaces either Iheanacho or Vardy when they are fit again.

22 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

No disrespect to Daka (he’s earned the accolades), but we scored 7 goals in the two consecutive games against Blackburn and Preston with Vardy and Nacho.

They have litterally scored 11 goals in 36 games 

Vardy 6 in 18 games 

Ihanacho 5 in 18 games.

They are both wank in my opinion now. I wouldnt play either of them.

Daka and cannon are the future so we need to invest everything into them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

The way it's phrased makes it seem like it's guaranteed that he will prove himself, it should be 'whether' he comes good not 'once' he comes good. Personally i would be surprised if he displaces either Iheanacho or Vardy when they are fit again.

Semantics over phrasing.  

Most people seem obsessed with Cannon puns.   That said, he's a player we haven't seen much of, so naturally people are curious and hopeful.  That's not really obsession is it? 

Nacho, whom I have long defended, just hasn't been very good this year, his heart doesn't seem in it and he's likely off.  Vardy is reaching the end of an illustrious career, and father time has started to catch up with him.  

IF Cannon proves himself, on current evidence, he could easily displace both, just my opinion of course.

I'd already start Daka over both of them.    

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Vardy 6 in 18 games 

Ihanacho 5 in 18 games.

Between them they have only played 1700 minutes this season. 11 goals in 1700 minutes isnt that bad, that's a goal every 150 minutes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Even after scoring on his first two starts, you have to wonder whether Maresca sees Daka as our first-choice striker moving forward.

After all, he barely got a look in until both Vardy and Iheanacho were unavailable - even with each of those players having a generally substandard season, to the extent that neither has been able to nail down the position as their own.

If Daka does go on to prove himself as our best bet up front, which I hope he does, it will have been by accident rather than design.

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

Between them they have only played 1700 minutes this season. 11 goals in 1700 minutes isnt that bad, that's a goal every 150 minutes.

Honestly I would say that isn't bad in the premier league. In the championship against the opponents they have played against its a shocking stat

47 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Honestly I would say that isn't bad in the premier league. In the championship against the opponents they have played against its a shocking stat

It's better than one in two.  I think its shocking that you think that is shocking.

Anyway, whether you think its good or bad,  you can't call the GOAT 'wank'.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fox85 said:

Vardy 6 in 18 games 

Ihanacho 5 in 18 games.

Completely agree about vardy and iheanacho- unfortunately daka is easily as bad and nobody has a clue about cannon 

• Like 1

We're playing a different way that doesn't rely on strikers for the goal threat, so I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist that none of our frontmen are bagging a brace week in week out. It's been hugely refreshing in fact to see us with threats all over the pitch - wide men, midfielders and even centre backs chipping in regularly. That will be big for us if we go up - you absolutely can't be over-reliant on one position for your goals, because top flight sides will spot it, nullify it and leave you rudderless.

That said, on recent form I think Daka merits being first choice up top. He's started both games slowly but certainly in the second half I've been quite happy with his general play, getting stuck in and doing some of the dirty work / link up play I've lauded Nacho for in the past quite well.

We will see Cannon start a fair bit during AFCON. Hopefully Vardy is fit by then. But for now, Patson should start games.

• Like 2