Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Patson Daka

35 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Needless to say he's been super impressive over the last 4 games, I am sure many others on here will explain why.

I want to do a bit more of an overview of the player himself. Trying to identify what sort of coaching plan could be put in place to improve him even further.

Pace

He's easily our most rapid striker and possibly the most rapid striker in the division. He was fast in Europe and the Premier League too. This is a big weapon for counter-attacks, but also for fast transitions when we play out from the press. In our system, he often drops really deep to drag a centre back with him, and this means that when he turns and we play out from the press, he can use his pace to exploit the gaps in behind. This was extremely effective against some of the more adventurous teams we've played.

Work Rate

You can tell Daka was schooled at a Red Bull club. He will press all game long tirelessly and helps set our own high press. This is an area where I think he can get even better over time, as this player is often the one that sets the signal for multiple players to press, so learning what the trigger is on a game by game basis and managing when to do it is important. But he's younger, faster and fitter than an ageing Jamie Vardy, which makes the press more effective.

Finishing

In Austria, he had outrageous finishing statistics, and I feel like we are starting to see that here. Yes it is the Championship, but it's more than that, at Salzburg he was in a team that dominated the ball and made lots of chances, just like Leicester are doing this season. He looks more dangerous than our other strikers and has a better hit rate.

One thing I would say from a coaching perspective is that I feel he always opts to smash it. That's great if it goes in, but taking the ball stopped on the line, I feel like a truly elite marksman would go for finesse and bend it into the corenr here. I don't think I ever remember Patson ever even trying to do such a thing! So that is an element I think he needs to work on.

Positioning

Overall, this is also pretty good from Patson. He was in the box at the right times against a team that sits deep, and he's learning the positions he's been asked to drop into. This one is a bit tricky because the way we play relies on multiple players being in the right places on the pitch at all times, in each phase of play. So this is something I feel will improve from everyone in the team. To give him credit, he's not finding himself offside in the attacking phase, which at times Mavididi or even Fatawu do on occasion.

Link-Up Play

This is his biggest weakness, but you have to say that since being in the team, he's been much better at this compared to his stint in the Premier League. This would still be the big question about him in terms of if he can make it as a Premier League striker or not. Today's game suits him because he didn't need to link play. So for most of the game he didn't seem involved, but ends up with 2 goals. Vardy was often the master of this, I remember once against Man City he touched the ball 9 times but scored a hat-trick!

Specifically with his link-up play there are a few things he needs to get better at:

- Playing with his back to goal. You can tell he is just not used to doing this. Learning the awareness of who is around you and what decision to make. For me he doesn't "scan" enough before receiving the ball. The top players in any position are always scanning and building up that mental picture. That means when they receive the ball they have a much better idea of what to do.

- Short and Mid-distance passing. Patson is OK with a short lay-off for a one-two, but isn't great at playing it round the corner or making an accurate, firm pass over a longer distance quickly.

- Overall decision-making. Patson doesn't strike me as that confident on the ball and snatches at the ball when linking up. This leads to him making the wrong decision sometimes, like going for a backheel when he should be finessing it round the corner, or at times taking an extra touch before making a pass of strike.

On paper a £24M striker should piss the Championship, and we are now seeing this is true. Can he do the same in the Premier League? My opinion is that in a counter attacking team he definitely can. Not that many teams play a full-on gegenpress these days because it leaves you so vulnerable on transition. The one team that really tries to do it are Man United, and look how they are performing.

So what about in a team that loves possession and wants to play through a deep block? Honestly, I would still have my doubts. But Patson has shown massive improvements, and any player can improve. The best example is Jamie Vardy who over the years went from "pace merchant" to in his Golden Boot year truly becoming an all-round striker that could do it all. Vardy hit his peak in his 30's, Daka is 25, so has a good few years to improve. 

This is a very good analysis. He has very clear strengths and weaknesses which is why he can go from clown to elite and vice versa from game to game and often within the same game.

For me, he's too technically lacking to ever be rounded enough to lead the line in a top side or league and it will take a lot to convince me otherwise but the last few games he's certainly shown his value to us.

• Like 1

Must be killing some on here that he’s doing well and scoring :whistle:

I wouldn’t say smug but I am definitely feeling vindicated in sticking by him whilst having the piss taken by others back in the summer. He has taken his chance well and truly.

And to pre-empt the ‘ItS rOvRuM, mIlLwAlL and PlYmOuTh’, the whole point was he’d tear this league apart if given the chance and that is what this leave is made up of!

Main thing that confused me about his performance was why he was still in the pitch at the end of the game! Ipswich left loads of space in behind vs Leeds and it looked made for Daka. Only a fool would question Enzo (so I won’t too much!) but resting him for Boxing Day looked the option to me.

So. As a massive Daka-doubter, (and someone who’s been managing an end of life friendship all week and hasn’t seen a moment of today's game), was he really good or is this the usual FT knee-jerk bollox the moment anyone does anything half-decent? I’m a city fan, desperate for my club to be successful. I’ll happily eat any amount of humble-pie if required. But I’m not quite ready to tuck in on the back of a home win against bottom of the league Rotherham. Those who actually aren’t fan-boys AND saw the game, whaddya reckon? A decent striker reborn? Or another false dawn??? 

20 minutes ago, brookfox said:

Main thing that confused me about his performance was why he was still in the pitch at the end of the game! Ipswich left loads of space in behind vs Leeds and it looked made for Daka. Only a fool would question Enzo (so I won’t too much!) but resting him for Boxing Day looked the option to me.

Or bring him on after 55 mins on Tuesday? I think Enzo will start him anyway.

25 minutes ago, brookfox said:

Like you said.... Only a fool. 

On 14/09/2023 at 17:34, Foxaholic ME said:

when did a useless player last score 4 in Europe

On 14/09/2023 at 18:32, Jobyfox said:

I would like to see the statistical evidence that leads us to the conclusion that he’s “pretty effective”. 

I’m inclined to think it may lean more towards: “Dogbob” 

On 14/09/2023 at 19:12, The Doctor said:

Screenshot_20230914-190456.thumb.png.0c952bbc8ec9b0e644d03337013baeaa.png

Guy is right up there when it comes to tackling, blocks and interceptions for forwards, hence why I said pretty effective defensive forward. when you consider this is what wilf is in the number 8 role for, his ability to force turnovers higher up the pitch, patson is an effective player in the right system (this is what Vardy used to be good at back when he was alongside Nugent). Whether that's this system when what you want more from a striker in this system is strong link up play remains to be seen, but "Dogbob" he isn't 

On 14/09/2023 at 19:58, Jobyfox said:

Lots of strikers do that … and are infinitely more effective than Daka at being creative for themselves and others. 

If all this is supposed to prove that Daka is a useful player then it’s another case of lies, damn lies and statistics. 

He’s 3rd choice striker for a reason. And I only wouldn’t have him as 4th choice because I’ve never seen Cannon play 

On 15/09/2023 at 12:57, Finnegan said:

11 players go on the pitch to defend. 

11 players go on the pitch to attack. 

You do both as a team. We won the Premier League with Shinji Okazaki as a "striker." He did everything foxestalk hates. Didn't score, didn't assist, fell over a lot when pressured. He was also absolutely essential to the way the team collectively both attacked and defended and I'd argue he was as big a miss as Kante when we tried dropping him for Slimani. 

The ability to effectively press from the front is a key component to a lot of modern systems, it's why every manager that's had Kelechi Iheanacho at the club has also had problems trying to get him to work in any effective system for long periods of time. He just doesn't do enough work. 

Now, find me anyone, anywhere (even me) trying to claim Patson Daka is of the same quality as prime Vardy. They aren't, nobody ever has. But he's the closest we've had for a considerable amount of time in terms of his overall strengths and weaknesses. Is he perfect or even the finished article? No. But he's an effective finisher that works hard and contributes enormously in all phases of play. 

Oh and, by the way, Maresca wasn't just blowing smoke up his arse when he said Daka is a complete footballer that contributes well to the build up. What I think are actually some of Daka's most surprisingly stand out stats are how he compares to some similar strikers (off the shoulder, in behind, poacher types) when it comes to shot creating actions, assists, passing play in general. I appreciate he doesn't really pass the eye test as a technical footballer but he's actually quite surprisingly productive. 

On 27/09/2023 at 21:56, majaco said:

We have Daka available.    Good.

Mixed opinions from the past.

My hunch has always been Daka can be a great striker.  But my hunches can be flawed.

I think  he is our best bet that has been at the club since prime Vardy.    Imo opinion of our current players, Ndidi,  and Winks are at a higher level.

Hermansen, KDH, Ricardo, Justin, Fatawu are at a similar level.  Mavididi and Faes are not far off.  

Vestergaard is doing a great job but I don't warm to him.

Fatawow has the potential to go beyond them all.

Another good performance for Daka for me,

presses from the front, no disrespect to Vardy or Nacho but they havent done that at all this season imo

his link/hold up play has been good too for me, of course that can be improved but as stated already hes been our best forward this season, shame really he wasnt given a chance sooner

and hopefully Zambia get knocked out of AFCON early

Guest glasgowfox

In fairness my biggest observation is that he now works his socks off going forward and tracking back....fair play to the guy for not sulking and getting on with it....got a good feeling about him moving forwards 

His celebrations are better than his goals.

Good for him to get on the score sheet  and been praying he comes good but  I'm not comparing him to the likes of Ulloa, Nugent or Stevie Howard just yet.

Edited by Raj

53 minutes ago, majaco said:

Mixed opinions from the past.

My hunch has always been Daka can be a great striker.  But my hunches can be flawed.

I think  he is our best bet that has been at the club since prime Vardy.    Imo opinion of our current players, Ndidi,  and Winks are at a higher level.

Hermansen, KDH, Ricardo, Justin, Fatawu are at a similar level.  Mavididi and Faes are not far off.  

Vestergaard is doing a great job but I don't warm to him.

Fatawow has the potential to go beyond them all.

I see I was quoted here.

Fair play to Daka he’s doing the job I expected that Nacho would do in a team that dominates possession against lower quality and mostly inferior teams.

I’m still not sure he’ll be what we need if we do go up as he’s simply too erratic. That is, however, a worry for another day and I’m delighted he’s contributing in the Championship in a way that others have strangely seemed unable to do. 

Is he that good or is it just that his star is high because Vardy has diminishing powers and Ian has been poor? I don’t suppose it matters currently 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

It's his pressing that is night and day different to what Vardy and Iheanacho have been serving up.

Golden Boot winner had Maresca had the foresight to use him earlier.

Unless the past few months have been building up to this? Daka was extremely bereft of any sort of confidence, it's probably taken a while for Enzo to mould Daka into a player for his system. Then opportunity arose, and he's taken it.