Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Patson Daka

6 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

This is a very good analysis. He has very clear strengths and weaknesses which is why he can go from clown to elite and vice versa from game to game and often within the same game.

For me, he's too technically lacking to ever be rounded enough to lead the line in a top side or league and it will take a lot to convince me otherwise but the last few games he's certainly shown his value to us.

I agree that I can't ever see Daka being good enough to be the starting number 9 at a club competing for the Champions League, whereas Arsene Wenger literally tried to sign Vardy who declined the offer. But to be the starting number 9 in the Premier League I feel like in the right system he would be good enough because...

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's his pressing that is night and day different to what Vardy and Iheanacho have been serving up.

Golden Boot winner had Maresca had the foresight to use him earlier.

Thanks to his age and physicality, he can add value to any front foot team. Be careful when writing players off... Dominic Solanke is the second top scorer in the Premier League this season, making a mockery of players like Hojlund, Nunez and Jackson. The right player in the right system can thrive, see Winks and Vestergaard. IMO the Man United striker actually looks very good, he is just playing for a team in turmoil which is why he looked amazing for Atalanta but can't buy a league goal for the Mancs.

I have thought for a while that if we got promoted we would sign another striker from Europe. Someone who can finish, press and link up play and is very technical. But who out there fits that profile that we could realistically sign? Maybe that's one for Ric to give his opinion on, as I can't think of many. Could we sign Gimenez from PSV? Marcos Leonardo from Santos? Evanilson from Porto? I'm not convinced as I think these players go to bigger teams than Leicester.

Finally, when we return to the Premier League, there won't be many teams that park the bus against us. Almost all the teams press high these days, with the exception of West Ham, so we might not even need a striker with elite link-up play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I agree that I can't ever see Daka being good enough to be the starting number 9 at a club competing for the Champions League, whereas Arsene Wenger literally tried to sign Vardy who declined the offer. But to be the starting number 9 in the Premier League I feel like in the right system he would be good enough because...

Thanks to his age and physicality, he can add value to any front foot team. Be careful when writing players off... Dominic Solanke is the second top scorer in the Premier League this season, making a mockery of players like Hojlund, Nunez and Jackson. The right player in the right system can thrive, see Winks and Vestergaard. IMO the Man United striker actually looks very good, he is just playing for a team in turmoil which is why he looked amazing for Atalanta but can't buy a league goal for the Mancs.

I have thought for a while that if we got promoted we would sign another striker from Europe. Someone who can finish, press and link up play and is very technical. But who out there fits that profile that we could realistically sign? Maybe that's one for Ric to give his opinion on, as I can't think of many. Could we sign Gimenez from PSV? Marcos Leonardo from Santos? Evanilson from Porto? I'm not convinced as I think these players go to bigger teams than Leicester.

Finally, when we return to the Premier League, there won't be many teams that park the bus against us. Almost all the teams press high these days, with the exception of West Ham, so we might not even need a striker with elite link-up play.

it’s a real shame balogun was being touted about last year. 

I still think we will go back for nico gonzalez and utilize him in that role 

Well, oh well. What do we do here then. A few weeks ago I was convinced he was off no matter what, and that the club should do everything they could to offload Nacho, and that we would have to be in the market for someone to fit this system. I was worried about that, because as we know strikers that fit this system will be in short supply and would we in the position to pay Premier League fees and prices now?

And then he gets his first start. All of us at the Plymouth game had a little laugh when he was starting, saying that 'the goals will have to be coming from the midfield then'. 

But he has proven me emphatically wrong.  5 goal contributions in 4 games.  But there is more to it than that. He is getting in the right places at the right time, he is pressing like crazy in a way the other strikers haven't done, and he providing goals and contributions. He is much, much better that Vardy and Nacho right now (Cannon still doesn't count until he gets properly started). Rotherham parked all the buses yesterday, and he still managed to create more opportunities than Nacho. There still seem to be some criticisms of his first touch, but his link up play isn't bad at all, and would only get better with more game time.

Afcon kind of ruins things. But i presume that he has to stay now and we invest elsewhere (and still try to offload Nacho).  I actually don't buy the 'hes good at this level argument' right now. I think he can step up, and this is the springboard to do so.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chelmofox said:

Well, oh well. What do we do here then. A few weeks ago I was convinced he was off no matter what, and that the club should do everything they could to offload Nacho, and that we would have to be in the market for someone to fit this system. I was worried about that, because as we know strikers that fit this system will be in short supply and would we in the position to pay Premier League fees and prices now?

And then he gets his first start. All of us at the Plymouth game had a little laugh when he was starting, saying that 'the goals will have to be coming from the midfield then'. 

But he has proven me emphatically wrong.  5 goal contributions in 4 games.  But there is more to it than that. He is getting in the right places at the right time, he is pressing like crazy in a way the other strikers haven't done, and he providing goals and contributions. He is much, much better that Vardy and Nacho right now (Cannon still doesn't count until he gets properly started). Rotherham parked all the buses yesterday, and he still managed to create more opportunities than Nacho. There still seem to be some criticisms of his first touch, but his link up play isn't bad at all, and would only get better with more game time.

Afcon kind of ruins things. But i presume that he has to stay now and we invest elsewhere (and still try to offload Nacho).  I actually don't buy the 'hes good at this level argument' right now. I think he can step up, and this is the springboard to do so.

I have been critical in the past of Daka and even disagreed with top level posters like @Finnegan who highlighted his stats for us.

Jannik has had a good resurgence but could argue that Daka’s has been as big if not bigger considering our two other PL proven (1 being our GOAT) making our system look like it’s not CF centric.

Keep proving me wrong Patson.

Seems to have changed his style of play, more of a penalty box poacher than trying to emulate Vardy or Nacho.

If it works and it seems to be then it shows he can adapt.

His first yesterday was definitely something Claridge would have been proud of.

Apparently he has the "touch of an elephant" yet has been, by a long margin, the best of our strikers at coming deep and linking up play. He cant play against a low block because the only thing he has is pace, again proven wrong at the weekend. He's also proven to be excellent at pressing. But people will spout all sorts of nonsense to justify their bias views. His finishing needs work, but considering he hadn't started a game for us for 6+ months, it's quite understandable. He'll get better as he plays and hopefully carries momentum into what may be a PL season, next year. Who knows what his ceiling is, it could be this or PL, but atleast give him a chance.

Daka certainly needed this little run in the team. It's also reminded Ihanacho that anything but his best isn't going to be tolerated anymore. That can only be a good thing. We all know everything there is to say about Vardy. What he does do when he plays is take the attention off others. I hope he stays if we are promoted as the squad will need him around. Cannon, we will just have to wait and see. He was clearly signed for the New Year when our strikers will be thin on the ground. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. 

Next year in the Prem (hopefully) we will need signings. Some will stay, some will go. But I think we have a good platform to build on and that would of course include Daka (if he stays). 

I think what I'm trying to say is for the first time in a long time I'm not to fussed who we lose in January as I think we have enough to get us to the end of the season. We must be a very attractive proposition right now to potential young players. 

I'm a Happy Fox

• Like 1