Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Patson Daka

14 minutes ago, lcfcell said:

He’s probably going to end up with 15 or so goals in his first season here, really good going. He’ll be great for us 

It is an excellent goal return. He's averaging a goal every 93 minutes, I think, and that's with him being in and out of the side in his first season. I think it's easy to forget how young he is, as well. Only turned 23 in October.

I was convinced he'd be snapped up by a bigger club before we signed him. So glad we landed him. I agree - I think he will be great for us.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LCCFox96 said:

Daka is a lethal finisher. Last night's goal was a great example, he had next to no time to react to it and still managed to turn it into the net.

I'd like to see him playing on the shoulder of the final defender and us trying to spring the offside trap more - our winner at Brentford and our second goal at Liverpool came from his direct runs and it was lightening from our midfield into the back of the net. With Barnes and Lookman also capable of the same runs, and Tielemans, Maddison and Iheanacho more than well equipped to play the necessary through balls it could be be a fruitful route to more goals for us.

I rate Daka very highly and think he will smash it here, but last night is not a good example of him being a lethal finisher lol

On 17/02/2022 at 23:51, Lako42 said:

Slightly concerned how he looked completely uninterested tonight, even after scoring. 

He's gone from the happiest man I've ever seen to looking a bit withdrawn. 

Have we coached the directness and excitement out of him already? 

Looked fine to me. Had the look of a man who knew damn well he was offside:D

My only concern with him is that we play him into a bad patch of form by not being good enough and not doing the right things for his game.

He clearly has all the talent requiree to succeed, we just need to utilise him well. So far I don't think we've done that particularly well, but hopefully we will get back to something near our best and he will fly when we do.

Edited by ajthefox
Typo.

17 hours ago, filbertway said:

I rate Daka very highly and think he will smash it here, but last night is not a good example of him being a lethal finisher lol

Fair enough haha - lethal possibly not the right word to describe that finish as it was hardly emphatic. I was getting more at the quick reaction and the whole 'right place, right time' idea. 

8 hours ago, LCCFox96 said:

Fair enough haha - lethal possibly not the right word to describe that finish as it was hardly emphatic. I was getting more at the quick reaction and the whole 'right place, right time' idea. 

I was thinking more of his awful snatched shots or the rubbish free header he had :D

Guest BlueBrett

I like him a lot but watching him I can't help feel he needs coaching.

Haven't seen him in person so I could be mistaken as it's not the easiest thing to track watching TV but it seems to me that the timing of his runs needs work. I think he goes way too early a lot of the time. Runs himself into an offside position and it kind of ****s over the guy on the ball sometimes when they're clearly planning on slipping it through but he runs blatantly offside and then they have to quickly identify and pick out another option - which usually results in having to play sideways or backwards if not just losing possession. It's double frustrating when you know he's bloody quick enough to give them yards and still win a race in many cases. I know it's as much about the timing of the pass as the timing of the run but I've felt on a number of occasions he hasn't given our midfielder the best chance, often going before they've been able to get their head up.

Has anyone watching in the stadium picked up on this or am I mistaken? 

Edited by BlueBrett

Can someone explain to me why Brendan has changed Daka from a Vardy esque striker (on the last man all the time, trying to beat the offside trap, making runs to move defenders etc) to a hold up/target man/back to goal type player?

Noticed it against West Ham but he was also doing it yesterday. While he's tall he's not strong enough to get involved with defenders like that and I think that tactical change has completely changed his effectiveness.

He sat himself on Saiss all game (right decision, he's not that great and not that quick) and then proceeded to play in exactly the way Saiss would have wanted.

Edited by AKCJ

• 2 weeks later...

He's been great infront of goal but I can't help but think we're telling him to play a style that doesn't suit him.

He should play the game like Vardy does. Right on the shoulder of the last man. In recent weeks he's been asked to play with his back to goal and he's being bullied left and right by slow but strong defenders when he'd easily get the better of them by runnning in behind.

The Burnley game was incredible for this. Ben Mee couldn't jog, let alone sprint, and we didn't once think to put Daka on his toes and get the ball in behind him. 

Absolutely convinced he'll make it here, he's clearly a very talented striker.

Edit; lol Just realised I made the same points after the Wolves game 3 posts up.

Edited by AKCJ

On 21/02/2022 at 00:45, BlueBrett said:

I like him a lot but watching him I can't help feel he needs coaching.

Haven't seen him in person so I could be mistaken as it's not the easiest thing to track watching TV but it seems to me that the timing of his runs needs work. I think he goes way too early a lot of the time. Runs himself into an offside position and it kind of ****s over the guy on the ball sometimes when they're clearly planning on slipping it through but he runs blatantly offside and then they have to quickly identify and pick out another option - which usually results in having to play sideways or backwards if not just losing possession. It's double frustrating when you know he's bloody quick enough to give them yards and still win a race in many cases. I know it's as much about the timing of the pass as the timing of the run but I've felt on a number of occasions he hasn't given our midfielder the best chance, often going before they've been able to get their head up.

Has anyone watching in the stadium picked up on this or am I mistaken? 

.....this problem is now a recent problem or something he has picked up since coming here!!!

If there was one stand out feature of his game, it was his ability to stay onside, always. That comes down to an inbuilt discipline and an understanding and awareness around him. You do not have to spend hours on the training ground to teach him this, that was a major plus in him coming here.

Now we see him going offside repeatedly and as I suggested previously, being starved of the ball and opportunities infront of goal, only leads to snatching at chances and trying too hard to gain an advantage, just to have a run at goal. 

There isn't a need to spend time coaching him to stay on side, he is more than capable of holding his runs, and as we have seen, Vardy has gone through his career with the same problem. Play him as a two or with a highline and have players around to support him.

Just now, pmcla26 said:

How do you know it's this and not that he's struggling to put himself into the right positions/making those runs? I mean Vardy ran the channels excellently on Saturday, so it doesn't look like Rodgers is opposed to his strikers playing that way. 

Because he used to run the channels and make a nuisance of himself. It's a stark difference in terms of how he plays now vs how he played a couple of months ago.

It may well be a confidence issue but we'll see. I just feel as though the team is already set up for him to take over from Vardy and it feels like when Daka plays he plays against that method.

20 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Because he used to run the channels and make a nuisance of himself. It's a stark difference in terms of how he plays now vs how he played a couple of months ago.

It may well be a confidence issue but we'll see. I just feel as though the team is already set up for him to take over from Vardy and it feels like when Daka plays he plays against that method.

....the balls to him are not balls in behind to run on to, playing to feet does not make sense!!!

Noticeable when he was taken off recently for Nacho, that the balls to Nacho were the kind of passes that should have been played to Daka but we did not start to make those passes until Nacho came on, but he has not the speed or inclination to play that way.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....the balls to him are not balls in behind to run on to, playing to feet does not make sense!!!

Noticeable when he was taken off recently for Nacho, that the balls to Nacho were the kind of passes that should have been played to Daka but we did not start to make those passes until Nacho came on, but he has not the speed or inclination to play that way.

Yes, Liverpool away. We'd honestly have potentially got something if Daka was on the end of the 3 balls that we put through to Iheanacho, only for him to be caught.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Where are we Daka ,this thread has been dead for a month. The incredible hype in the transfer thread last summer is now long forgotten. Even with Vardy injured , he doesn't get a start. He can't be happy about this . He is 23 not a teenager and patience wears thin. What with the Bertrand , Vestergaard debacle and the disappearance of Soumare ,its beginning to look like yet another market disaster.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Where are we Daka ,this thread has been dead for a month. The incredible hype in the transfer thread last summer is now long forgotten. Even with Vardy injured , he doesn't get a start. He can't be happy about this . He is 23 not a teenager and patience wears thin. What with the Bertrand , Vestergaard debacle and the disappearance of Soumare ,its beginning to look like yet another market disaster.

It's not ideal that we had our biggest ever net spend in the summer and not a single signing has forced their way into the team. Never mind Bertrand and Vestergaard simply not looking good enough. 

However, Daka and Soumare were both 'ones for the future' kinds of signings. Hopefully Daka can kick on next season