Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Patson Daka

6 minutes ago, murphy said:

Based on his incredible goal scoring record at his former club and based on being one of the most highly regarded attacking prospects in Europe.  I mean, we all knew him, we were all excited to get him weren't we?

Plus he needs his teammates to play with him & for him..

which this early side until now I haven’t seen, even when he has done the runs…

I ain’t worried about him personally. Saw more than enough in the first half of the season to know he’s a good player whose adjusting and in a spell of poor form. 

His performance at Anfield where he got injured was superb and just after that he scored a proper strikers goal at Spurs. In general play he was very good at PSV 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, murphy said:

Based on his incredible goal scoring record at his former club and based on being one of the most highly regarded attacking prospects in Europe.  I mean, we all knew him, we were all excited to get him weren't we?

If you recall, we were looking for a striker, Edouard seemed to be a done deal (6 in 27 for Palace btw), Ivan Toney was mooted, then Daka became availabe.  Someone who has much more potential than both in my opinion.  It seemed a real coup to get him.

Personally think people get caught up in other peoples hype about players they’ve never heard of. How many honestly sit and watch RB Salzburg games? A few will have known of Daka, but I bet lot hadn’t. Too early to write him off and he might well come good, but it’s concerning how far off the pace he looks.

• Like 1

He must have known, of course , that he would be facing quicker thinking, technically better defenders , so it was going to be more difficult to create an impact. At this level its a brain game so we will have to hope his learning curve is short.

6 minutes ago, Claridge said:

and by the same logic, keep every under achieving player

Indeed, at least in the case of Daka/Vardy, there is a precedent that would suggest patience might be warranted.
(I am not for one second suggesting Daka could ever be as good as Vardy btw)

Just now, Claridge said:

Depends on what offer we get I suppose.

Anywhere near our money back and I would sell. 

I'd rather keep him, he did enough in the first half of the season to warrant persisting with him. Much rather do that, then go out and sign a replacement who also then possibly takes a year to settle in.

9 hours ago, murphy said:

Based on his incredible goal scoring record at his former club and based on being one of the most highly regarded attacking prospects in Europe.  

I’m not talking him down as I think he’ll come good, but goal scoring in the Austrian Bundesliga does not translate to goal scoring in the major European leagues. I think Haaland, who’s been the exception to the rule, has warped people’s view on the quality of the Austrian Bundesliga.

For record, Daka was top scorer in the Austrian Bundesliga last season, but looking at the careers of the prolific scorers in that division who’ve been signed from teams in the top European leagues, isn’t great reading.

Here’s the top scorers in the Austrian Bundesliga in the last 10 years:

2020-21 - Patson Daka 

2019-20 - Shon Weismann - at Real Valladolid. Struggled in La Liga, but doing well now in the Spanish 2nd tier

2017-18 & 2018-19 - Mu’nas Dunbar - 20/22 - Went to Sevilla and was a complete flop, now at Hoffenheim where he’s been mediocre or warmed the bench.

2016-17 - Olarenwaju Kayode - Went to ManCity and didn’t play a single game. Went to Shatkhar Doneskr afterwards and flopped  again, been sent on multiple loans to lower half Turkish sides

2013-14/14-15/15-16 - Jonathan Sariano - Now doing the rounds in China

2012-13 - Signed by Rennes and flopped. Since then flopped at a bunch of German Second Division sides.

You can keep going back in seasons and find similar career paths.

Not saying Daka won’t be good, I’m just saying be wary of judging his goals in Austria. Seems like every top scorer in the Austrian Bundesliga gets snapped up by a club in a major European league because it’s hard not to see they’re banging in a goal a game in Austria and think they’re great goal scorers - and basically all of them bar Haaland have flopped and many struggle even at the level of the Russian league or the Spanish or German 2nd tiers.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

This is why gambling on players with no CV at the top level is risky. They are cheaper to buy but you shouldn't be surprised if they struggle. Patson can be a consistent scorer in the PL but the club and fans are going to have to be patient. As long as Vardy is still potent we can do that.

Edited by An Sionnach
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I’m not talking him down as I think he’ll come good, but goal scoring in the Austrian Bundesliga does not translate to goal scoring in the major European leagues. I think Haaland, who’s been the exception to the rule, has warped people’s view on the quality of the Austrian Bundesliga.

For record, Daka was top scorer in the Austrian Bundesliga last season, but looking at the careers of the prolific scorers in that division who’ve been signed from teams in the top European leagues, isn’t great reading.

Here’s the top scorers in the Austrian Bundesliga in the last 10 years:

2020-21 - Patson Daka 

2019-20 - Shon Weismann - at Real Valladolid. Struggled in La Liga, but doing well now in the Spanish 2nd tier

2017-18 & 2018-19 - Mu’nas Dunbar - 20/22 - Went to Sevilla and was a complete flop, now at Hoffenheim where he’s been mediocre or warmed the bench.

2016-17 - Olarenwaju Kayode - Went to ManCity and didn’t play a single game. Went to Shatkhar Doneskr afterwards and flopped  again, been sent on multiple loans to lower half Turkish sides

2013-14/14-15/15-16 - Jonathan Sariano - Now doing the rounds in China

2012-13 - Signed by Rennes and flopped. Since then flopped at a bunch of German Second Division sides.

You can keep going back in seasons and find similar career paths.

Not saying Daka won’t be good, I’m just saying be wary of judging his goals in Austria. Seems like every top scorer in the Austrian Bundesliga gets snapped up by a club in a major European league because it’s hard not to see they’re banging in a goal a game in Austria and think they’re great goal scorers - and basically all of them bar Haaland have flopped and then struggle even at the level of the Russian league or the Spanish or German 2nd tiers.

OK, but I think that your argument strengthens my point, because I have never heard of those names on your list and yet I was well aware of Patson Daka before our interest in him.  Why?  Because he was being touted as one of the best forward prospects in Europe.   Those others weren't.

33 minutes ago, murphy said:

OK, but I think that your argument strengthens my point, because I have never heard of those names on your list and yet I was well aware of Patson Daka before our interest in him.  Why?  Because he was being touted as one of the best forward prospects in Europe.   Those others weren't.

I don’t know. I’d never heard of him, but it was RB Salzburgs run in the Champions League that made everyone aware of Haaland so I imagine it’s the same reason for Daka.

My point is more that history has shown that scoring bucketloads in the Austrian Bundesliga isn’t scoring at a high enough level that you can really say he’s going to be a success or not at a major European league. It’s like signing a prolific scorer from the lower leagues in that it’s always going to be a risk. It could come off like Vardy or Ulloa did or could fail like it did with Musa or Slimani who were prolific scorers in a better league if anything.

Edited by Sampson

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Did Sadio Mane come from Salzburg to Liverpool? He must have scored a few there if so. 

Mané is the perfect example of what a young African player from a lower league can do. Southampton was his stepping stone to prove his ability before joining one of the giants. He is an exceptional player though and Daka will do very well indeed to get close to him.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

I don’t know. I’d never heard of him, but it was RB Salzburgs run in the Champions League that made everyone aware of Haaland so I imagine it’s the same reason for Daka.

My point is more that history has shown that scoring bucketloads in the Austrian Bundesliga isn’t scoring at a high enough level that you can really say he’s going to be a success or not at a major European league. It’s like signing a prolific scorer from the lower leagues in that it’s always going to be a risk. It could come off like Vardy or Ulloa did or could fail like it did with Musa or Slimani who were prolific scorers in a better league if anything.

Ok, I take your point, although I think that Slim would have scored goals given the chance and was Musa ever that  prolific in Russia (55 in 167)?  ..but I digress...

Yes, it is a risk signing players from lesser leagues, but it is a model that I happen to like personally and one that has served us well in the main.  Buying the outstanding talents of the Championship (Justin, Maddison) is something that I Iike to see us do.  I think that a good prospect can be identified, regardless of the standard, hence the growing reputation of Daka and in my opinion, he will go on to have a great career.  

Besides, we couldn't afford to buy the outstanding talents of the big three leagues.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2

We should keep the faith with Daka. Rogers and Daka both know what they need to work on so let them get on with it. I bet once he gets a goal or two he will start banging them in. Every striker goes thru a period like this. The only thing I fear is that Newcastle was probably the easier of the 3 games. Everton might be very scrappy and Villa we just don't know they will probably rain their game against us. We certainly can't coast thru these games or we will lose. The league is not going to stop for us while we play our Europa games.