Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Patson Daka

Patson is a natural goalscorer. He comes on yesterday and immediately lashes a 25 yarder producing a good save. Then gets a header cleared off the line and produces another decent save, all within 20 odd minutes. Vardy's the man, but it was alittle disappointing to see him getting caught by the CB, when he looked clean through. I'm hoping it's just preseason rustiness, but pretty confident Patson will get goals when called upon. Also looks like he can form a good relationship with Praet.

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This lads about to go bang ain't he? Pure bagsman. Spent a year quietly going about his business and getting whispered about he's muck and he'll now pitch up 2nd season and bludgeon teams. 

Looked very lively yesterday, with better movement than at the end of a season.

What we know is he is a quality finisher and has lots of pace, so it's just about polishing his movement and link-up play. 

The best part is whether he or Vardy plays they are more like for like, so the team doesn't have to change its approach like it does when Nacho plays. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Patson is a natural goalscorer. He comes on yesterday and immediately lashes a 25 yarder producing a good save. Then gets a header cleared off the line and produces another decent save, all within 20 odd minutes. 

And on another day, when you're bang on form and the luck's with you, they hit the back of the net. As long as he keeps on like that then he'll do alright. He looks better to me at every outing.

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

The best part is whether he or Vardy plays they are more like for like, so the team doesn't have to change its approach like it does when Nacho plays. 

And that is key. Knowing how to best use Nacho has been a problem for us, without changing a number of other roles. Daka is (and sorry to use this expression!) near 'oven ready'... he'll just slot in as a direct replacement for Vardy. 

1 minute ago, lgfualol said:

How often is this GEEZA going to play though? No european football and Vardy isnt getting subbed off every match, plus Nacho is also an option off the bench.

Vardy is goof for an injury every few months, most certainly around Xmas time. With 5 subs as well and perhaps wanting to protect Vardy more so, he will get plenty of chances. It's Iheanacho who I think is in trouble here, I'm so surprised nobody has ever come in for him.

Plenty of teams desperate for a goalscorer and there's enough there to suggest teams should be tempted given his record. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

How often is this GEEZA going to play though? No european football and Vardy isnt getting subbed off every match, plus Nacho is also an option off the bench.

I think he'll get enough game time to keep him happy.

Vardy will have to be very well managed until he calls it a day. The signs were there last season, showing he is no longer a machine. 

56 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Vardy is goof for an injury every few months, most certainly around Xmas time. With 5 subs as well and perhaps wanting to protect Vardy more so, he will get plenty of chances. It's Iheanacho who I think is in trouble here, I'm so surprised nobody has ever come in for him.

Plenty of teams desperate for a goalscorer and there's enough there to suggest teams should be tempted given his record. 

Rodgers has been playing with three at the back a lot this pre-season: I wouldn't be surprised if we play with two strikers fairly often.

5 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Rodgers has been playing with three at the back a lot this pre-season: I wouldn't be surprised if we play with two strikers fairly often.

The way he treats 3-4-1-2 is very strange though, we've used it for periods and always been very erratic which I conclude is because his tactics don't lend themselves well to the system but then there are other times when you think we're crying out for it (Jan - Mar) last season when Vardy was out and Daka badly needed some support and he refused.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The way he treats 3-4-1-2 is very strange though, we've used it for periods and always been very erratic which I conclude is because his tactics don't lend themselves well to the system but then there are other times when you think we're crying out for it (Jan - Mar) last season when Vardy was out and Daka badly needed some support and he refused.

I agree, but it could have something to do with our CB options and the lack of Ndidi who was used in the system at Derby. But it just seems like too many goals being left on the bench right now.

• Like 1

Honestly I'm really concerned by the striker position at the moment, we know Vardy is hanging up his boots soon, he also is going to need to be subbed more often this season. Daka has shown glimpses but needs time to settle, my real worry is, that this season is one where we need to really get 12-15 goals from him if we are to be confident he can take over from Vardy, but right now the transfer situation looks like we will be going into one of the most important seasons in our recent history, with a team worse than the one we started last season with. 

We NEED Daka to do well, but do we have the squad to enable that?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

he also is going to need to be subbed more often this season.

Why is he going to be needed subbed more often? We haven't got a European campaign and there's been no evidence to suggest he's losing fitness.

He's been written off since he's turned 30 every season and still fans don't learn to just put their trust in the great man. He'll play into his 40s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Why is he going to be needed subbed more often? We haven't got a European campaign and there's been no evidence to suggest he's losing fitness.

He's been written off since he's turned 30 every season and still fans don't learn to just put their trust in the great man. He'll play into his 40s. 

He had injuries last season meaning he missed 18 games in all comps. If we don't rest him or sub him more, it will get worse IMO, the lack of European football will help though. 

9 hours ago, Collymore said:

He lost a foot race on Sunday. He is slowing down. But he is also less reliant on his speed now. We have five subs this year, and three excellent strikers. I expect Vardy to be subbed off most games this campaign. At some point, hopefully, he will be moved into the impact sub role that Totti had at Roma. If so, I could see him playing until he was 40 for sure.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

He lost a foot race on Sunday. He is slowing down. But he is also less reliant on his speed now. We have five subs this year, and three excellent strikers. I expect Vardy to be subbed off most games this campaign. At some point, hopefully, he will be moved into the impact sub role that Totti had at Roma. If so, I could see him playing until he was 40 for sure.

He might also have been told to play at 90% during pre-season, and so couldn't be particularly arsed to do his max sprint? (I hope!)

The intelligence of Vardy's movement has been more important than his pace near the entire time Rodgers has been here. We don't really play a lot of smash it long in to the channels for Vardy to chase under BR. We build up a lot more in the opposition's half and look to find spaces, which he's miraculous at.

It's why Daka hasn't yet really come in to his groove so perfectly with us. Whilst his finishing is impeccable, his movement isn't on the same level as Vards' yet. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Merging Cultures said:

He might also have been told to play at 90% during pre-season, and so couldn't be particularly arsed to do his max sprint? (I hope!)

Did you see him when Nacho got to the ball before him in preseason? I don't think Vardy is ever in a situation where he couldn't be particularly arsed!

As I said, I won't be suprised when the guy in his mid-30s loses a foot race to some young upstart punk pup; but he is relying less on his pure speed, and more on positioning and movement.

Not really sure why it's such a big deal that someone wins a foot race against Vardy.

In the Community Shield when we played United, I remember Eric Bailly absolutely murdered him in a couple of sprints. How many Premier League goals has Vardy scored since then?

Two things really - firstly, like I said, it's a myth that Vardy's game is completely reliant on his pace. But secondly, sprints aren't all about a binary speed attribute like it's a computer game. They're about context, recovery, stamina, readiness, balance, everything. Youri Tielemans could beat Harvey Barnes in a sprint if Barnes was just recovering from one he'd already done a few seconds earlier, was off balance, started facing in the wrong direction or whatever. Sprints that happen organically on a football pitch are almost never a fair contest in the sense of an Olympic 100m race or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Finnegan said:

Not really sure why it's such a big deal that someone wins a foot race against Vardy.

In the Community Shield when we played United, I remember Eric Bailly absolutely murdered him in a couple of sprints. How many Premier League goals has Vardy scored since then?

Two things really - firstly, like I said, it's a myth that Vardy's game is completely reliant on his pace. But secondly, sprints aren't all about a binary speed attribute like it's a computer game. They're about context, recovery, stamina, readiness, balance, everything. Youri Tielemans could beat Harvey Barnes in a sprint if Barnes was just recovering from one he'd already done a few seconds earlier, was off balance, started facing in the wrong direction or whatever. Sprints that happen organically on a football pitch are almost never a fair contest in the sense of an Olympic 100m race or something.

Vardy's game is all in the mind and awareness and positioning these days just as much as it is his raw speed. He knows it as well. I think he's credited Rodgers with helping that part of his game. Puel played him out of position and Rodgers brought him back into playing mainly within the lines of 18 yard box. Time the runs better, don't go chasing after every single ball and be wiser with it. It's why it's helped with being able to play up to now and beyond. 

Usual rustiness in pre-season, and will be up and running properly fairly soon.