Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Patson Daka

9 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Hes in the 98th percentile for accurate shooting. Hes a very calm finisher.

Screenshot_20221227_134438_Chrome.thumb.jpg.707edbe66696d1306b15e933c0b09a8b.jpg

These kinds of stats are a waste of time when used on their own - presumably the shots on target stats include those that trickle into the keepers hands when he’s panicked and scuffed it? (Thinking of Spurs away here)

You can’t let stats rewrite what you see with your own eyes.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Apollo said:

I don't think he's really shown this (Moscow aside, but can't live off that forever). He seems to panic when through on goal, either shoots absurdly early or just blazes it. I'd love Daka to come good, but I'm losing faith in the lad at this point. His movement is shockingly poor for a striker, marks himself out of games at times.

Actually watch his goals for us, he's got work to do no doubt but to make out he seems to just panic anytime and everytime he's through on goal is nonsense.

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Apollo said:

These kinds of stats are a waste of time when used on their own - presumably the shots on target stats include those that trickle into the keepers hands when he’s panicked and scuffed it? (Thinking of Spurs away here)

Just like any other striker? 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
28 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Daka suffering from lack of creativity. With Youri a shadow of previous seasons and Madders missing we are distinctly average going forwards.

makes the recruitment of a RW with the right profile even more important 

Agree with this, also demonstrates why getting a left back that can overlap and be a threat is really important too.

35 minutes ago, Apollo said:

lol

1 minute ago, Apollo said:

Not sure what’s funny? My point is I don’t think Daka is composed finisher based on what I’ve seen - his on target stats alone wont change my opinion.

but by all means, chuckle away 

Sorry, it was the dismissal of stats in favour of the eye test, the exact emotional, partisan conclusions that stats are intended to cut through. How well stats describe their intended metric is another question though!

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Sorry, it was the dismissal of stats in favour of the eye test, the exact emotional, partisan conclusions that stats are intended to cut through. How well stats describe their intended metric is another question though!

I don’t dismiss stats, I just think they can be misleading when used in isolation. 

• Like 2

Just my personal thoughts, Daka is at his most dangerous when playing on instinct, playing on the shoulder of the last defender and looking to play like 15/16 Vardy, however he looks like he is being over coached and asked to play a role he is unaccustomed too where he is being asked to play with his back to goal and link up play, we are stifling his natural talent. I get working on things to improve a players weaknesses but our obsession with this controlling possession based playing style is having a detrimental impact on far too many players. 

Edited by Claudio Fannieri
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

How many has Vardy got though? It's a wider creativty issue not a striking personnel one.

Agreed it is certainlyy an issue with supply..... But....has Daka demonstrated he is a top 1/2 prem league quality striker? 

I’m pretty sure when Faes came, someone posted some hideous stats but bar a few less glorious moments, he has looked a very shrewd signing.

Why do I bring this up? Because it’s what makes me chuckle on here….the use of stats are definitely something worth discussing but where would any stat show how many times he (Daka) made the wrong pass/decision against Newcastle alone, I could count on two hands how many simple things that he got wrong/looked uncomfortable etc in 45 minutes of football.

I really want Patson to succeed here but he’s still not shown enough consistently to suggest he’ll be our main striker for years to come.

• Like 2

He has strengths and is by no means a bad player. The hype on here because he scored so many in Austria was ridiculous of course. You need a sharp brain to consistently score in the PL as so often demonstrated by Vardy. It also helps if you have the physical power of a Harland or Kane. I think he will serve us pretty well but 10 or so a season is about his max. If Kelechi is on his way and Jamie is winding down , we need another striker and that won't be cheap.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

I’m pretty sure when Faes came, someone posted some hideous stats but bar a few less glorious moments, he has looked a very shrewd signing.

Why do I bring this up? Because it’s what makes me chuckle on here….the use of stats are definitely something worth discussing but where would any stat show how many times he (Daka) made the wrong pass/decision against Newcastle alone, I could count on two hands how many simple things that he got wrong/looked uncomfortable etc in 45 minutes of football.

I really want Patson to succeed here but he’s still not shown enough consistently to suggest he’ll be our main striker for years to come.

Tbf there wasn't one player that statement above, doesn't apply to in the Newcastle game. Very hard to single out anyone really as every player was crap.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Tbf there wasn't one player that statement above, doesn't apply to in the Newcastle game. Very hard to single out anyone really as every player was crap.

Agree but I guess we’re picking on Daka because he was the player on the end of those few golden chances that had he finished better could have changed the game for us. I’m not saying it’s a certainty we would have won or drawled but it gives Newcastle something to think about. Instead they dominated play as we offered nothing in response. The best teams have crap days but their leading man saves the bacon by scoring goals or their keeper saves them. Manu is a perfect example of this type of team.

• Like 2

Daka isn't getting enough chances. We don't attack often enough or penetratingly enough, Vardy and Maddison have carried us for a while with insane finishing despite generally lackluster attacking play. If we had Newcastles chances we also would have buried several goals. The problem was that Daka just didn't have enough support, he had to do everything by himself.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

2 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

Agree but I guess we’re picking on Daka because he was the player on the end of those few golden chances that had he finished better could have changed the game for us. I’m not saying it’s a certainty we would have won or drawled but it gives Newcastle something to think about. Instead they dominated play as we offered nothing in response. The best teams have crap days but their leading man saves the bacon by scoring goals or their keeper saves them. Manu is a perfect example of this type of team.

This exactly.

I also focused on Daka’s performance against Newcastle as he was definitely one of the worst (of the worst) in that first half.

Genuinely think his poor decision making when it matters was as criminal as Amartey’s lazy lunge or Soumare lack of anything for pretty much all of the goals.

That simple pass onto KDH or Barnes when at 2-0 down was Sunday league level of ease but he decided to run at Botman who swatted him away like a child.

There’s a good player here, I’m sure of it.

I’ve seen enough, with the 4 in Moscow and a reasonable goal return in comparison to the minutes he’s played in domestic games, to know that this isn’t another Slimani or Musa.

But I think he’s better in a two (Iheanacho and him seem to have a good link) and he’s suffering from high expectations given he’s labelled as the Vardy successor.

If Vardy wasn’t on the scene anymore this guy would be getting cut a lot more slack. We’d potentially even be playing a different formation with him and Iheanacho together up front and there wouldn’t be someone waiting in the wings who can do the job upfront by himself as well as Vardy can.

• Like 3

We had 8 shots against Newcastle (2 on target), when *any* side creates so little their forwards will look poor. This is a systemic failure not an individual one.

Put Haaland and in our side and very little changes currently.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

There’s a good player here, I’m sure of it.

I’ve seen enough, with the 4 in Moscow and a reasonable goal return in comparison to the minutes he’s played in domestic games, to know that this isn’t another Slimani or Musa.

But I think he’s better in a two (Iheanacho and him seem to have a good link) and he’s suffering from high expectations given he’s labelled as the Vardy successor.

If Vardy wasn’t on the scene anymore this guy would be getting cut a lot more slack. We’d potentially even be playing a different formation with him and Iheanacho together up front and there wouldn’t be someone waiting in the wings who can do the job upfront by himself as well as Vardy can.

No he wouldn't, he's scored 8 goals in 38 games. If we'd signed a player from the Championship and that was his goal return people would want him out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Not bad going really.

Tbf those stats aren’t particularly great and don’t really show a top half PL striker. For all people go on about his lack of service, I’d say 16% conversation rate is pretty mediocre and below what you want from a top half PL striker and the fact he’s behind a load of midfielders and wingers and flops like Bailey and Eduard isn’t exactly flattering.

I’m not saying he won’t come good but those tables aren’t particularly flattering or showing a player who looks like a good top half PL striker. Personally I think he’s probably a decent bottom half PL striker who can get you 8-12 goals a season but I think we probably need a bit better than him going forward, I think there’s more to it than just “a lack of service”

And the fact preppie are using the defence that “he needs it played in behind” is not a good sign. As it means he’s so reliant on only playing one way and needs it played in behind is a worry as it means we have to build the whole side around him and he isn’t good enough to have a whole side built solely for his benefit like Vardy was tbh.

People used to make all exactly the same defences for Beckford back in the day on here - and it’s exactly the same thing, that’s fine if he was a genuine quality player rather than a lazy, mediocre player who needed everything done for him and who wasn’t good enough to sacrifice other players for  - if you can only play one way and people are complaining that the team isn’t built to suit him, that’s not a good sign as you have to be good enough to have the rest of the squad sacrifice themselves for you. Players like Vardy, Maddison and Mahrez are/were good enough to sacrifice other players for their benefit/freedom, but I think Daka has shown very very little to show he is the player we should be building the side around and sacrificing other players for.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2