Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Patson Daka

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't mean to be any blunter than I ever am but both of these points are pretty thick. 

The whole iF hE wAs EnGlIsH stuff is boring. You sound like Harry Redknapp. People aren't trying to encourage patience for Daka because he's foreign but because even a cursory glance at the goals he has scored here shows a really potent finisher if we can get him confident and actually give him supply. 

As for rubbishing assists, sorry that's just extremely wide of the mark. You want all round goal contributions from your forward players regardless of whether they play centrally or wide. 

It's not because he's not English, it's because he was bought from a team outside of Europe which makes him a sexier signing and gives people the impression our scouts have found a gem. If we had a Zambian academy lad or bought a Zambian player from Sheffield Wednesday and he was giving us the performances we've had from him, they'd likely be getting far more stick

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I don't mean to be any blunter than I ever am but both of these points are pretty thick. 

The whole iF hE wAs EnGlIsH stuff is boring. You sound like Harry Redknapp. People aren't trying to encourage patience for Daka because he's foreign but because even a cursory glance at the goals he has scored here shows a really potent finisher if we can get him confident and actually give him supply. 

As for rubbishing assists, sorry that's just extremely wide of the mark. You want all round goal contributions from your forward players regardless of whether they play centrally or wide. 

I didn't mention nationality. He could be Zambian and come from the Championship, he'd be getting more stick, that's my point. I don't care where they're from - refer back to Englishman Jamie Vardy. Criticised, rightly in his first season, but even more so because of the fact he was a million pound player from non league. If we signed a football league striker, who'd only scored so little, people would say "ah it's because the Championship is his level" "not good enough for the step up to PL" etc.

Assists are a contribution, of course I'm not that thick, but when comparing and criticising past strikers (Beckford, Slimani, Musa, etc) nobody has ever brought up their assists. When people talk about great goalscorers (Shearer etc) nobody brings up their assists.

Edited by Fox92

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Assists make goals. To not count them is daft.

Never said I don't count them. My point is nobody has brought them up before. Suddenly though it's important. 

Compare and critique strikers is about goals and nothing else.

1 hour ago, TJQuik said:

It's not because he's not English, it's because he was bought from a team outside of Europe which makes him a sexier signing and gives people the impression our scouts have found a gem. If we had a Zambian academy lad or bought a Zambian player from Sheffield Wednesday and he was giving us the performances we've had from him, they'd likely be getting far more stick

Last time I looked Salzburg was definitely still in Europe 

• Haha 4

This is a project on hold, until we find a way to accompany front- people.

I am lead to believe they are called strikers...funny I thought strikers were people who stopped working because they have some grievance or other...

Daka is being left out to dry because of gameday tactics..nobody should be judged or analysed handcuffed within this setup...

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
19 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Every single player under Rodgers has either stagnated or declined. There's literally zero point in judging any of this side anymore until he's gone.

Soyuncu is the perfect example, and history is repeating itself with Faes. Both looking excellent when thrown into the deep end, relying on their natural ability....Yet after some 'Coaching' by Rodgers, both begin to decline.

Exactly how I see it. Far from being a manager who ‘brings players on’, Rodgers has wrecked this squad 

27 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Every single player under Rodgers has either stagnated or declined. There's literally zero point in judging any of this side anymore until he's gone.

Soyuncu is the perfect example, and history is repeating itself with Faes. Both looking excellent when thrown into the deep end, relying on their natural ability....Yet after some 'Coaching' by Rodgers, both begin to decline.

He tries to change them, rather than develop their strengths. Faes is looking so uncomfortable playing short fast passes to feet, Daka being changed to try and work in a sole striker role etc. I swear the longer he spends with these players during long breaks the worse they become. 

• Like 3

When we signed Daka, he was one of the most exciting young strikers playing in Europe, as fans were so excited by this signing and most fans saw this as the natural long term successor to Jamie Vardy. 

Brendan and his coaching staff have literally turned this guy into prime Christian Benteke, stifling his natural talent and playing style to play the ‘Brendan Brand’ of football, lo and behold the results, as with so many of our players, is we now have a player who is largely ineffective, low on confidence and regressing under this current regime. 

• Like 1

In my opinion I don't think he's that good. I don't think I've seen him strike the ball that cleanly yet. His first touch is poor and he dosen't hold the ball up and although presses the defence rarely threatens opposition keeper. His runs to break the lines aren't intelligence enough.

His pass for Barnes against Newcastle could be seen as selfless but if he's not even going to shoot in that position then you must have concerns about him.

However, like most strikers you need to set up to his strengths. He'd be much better in a counter attack style team breaking the lines but we don't set up that way or for him.

I still have reservations about him.

Edited by TrickyTrevLeftPeg
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

I would say he helped Barnes and Chilwell definitely improved. Vardy won his golden boot, with 23 goals (one league goal away from the 24 he got in the title winning season), under Rodgers' management in 19/20.

12 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Never said I don't count them. My point is nobody has brought them up before. Suddenly though it's important. 

Compare and critique strikers is about goals and nothing else.

Combined G+A/90 has been a leading metric of attacking players for years now. 

And last season, of every single footballer in the Premier League outside the "Greedy Six", LCFC had five of the top six performing players in that category. 

IIRC Jarrod Bowen was the only player to get in amongst Daka, Vardy, Barnes, Iheanacho and Maddison. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I would say he helped Barnes and Chilwell definitely improved. Vardy won his golden boot, with 23 goals (one league goal away from the 24 he got in the title winning season), under Rodgers' management in 19/20.

when rodgers first came here virtually everyone improved over time, i seem to recall Gray being the only younger player that didn't 

there is a clear decline across the squad now though for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Unfortunately that was a few seasons ago, what we have now are a group of players who are a shadow of their former selves, obviously Vardy’s age has led to his decline, the rest have gone backwards.

12 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Unfortunately that was a few seasons ago, what we have now are a group of players who are a shadow of their former selves, obviously Vardy’s age has led to his decline, the rest have gone backwards.

I don't disagree but OP was implying Rodgers has never improved any player.

Although I would argue Maddison is now having his best season and looks much better than previous.

• Like 1