Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Patson Daka

It is the so called Leicester striker curse, I know we've had one or two who've performed and I don't need to name the obvious, but it seems to happen to us quite a lot, or it is just my perception of our club.  I know fans of other clubs say the same thing like Chelsea, but we do seem quite good at letting strikers go, who then seem to perform at other clubs. 

For me I think Daka has the qualities to succeed, but we don't seem to play a system that would get the best out of him, get the right personnel around him and I'm sure he'll start banging in the goals.....or move him on and watch him score for fun, it is the Leicester way.

2 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Everyone has a price. I’m just saying he’s not a bad player. He’s got weaknesses like everyone else, but he’s also big strengths that we don’t really play to

You're right and to be fair Man City move in different circles so Nacho wouldn't have prospered there. Crap comment of mine on reflection. Apologies.

5 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

It is the so called Leicester striker curse, I know we've had one or two who've performed and I don't need to name the obvious, but it seems to happen to us quite a lot, or it is just my perception of our club.  I know fans of other clubs say the same thing like Chelsea, but we do seem quite good at letting strikers go, who then seem to perform at other clubs. 

For me I think Daka has the qualities to succeed, but we don't seem to play a system that would get the best out of him, get the right personnel around him and I'm sure he'll start banging in the goals.....or move him on and watch him score for fun, it is the Leicester way.

I think we've had more than one or two strikers over the years who have done the business. Depends how far we go back. In more recent years you're right.

2 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

Vardy was bordering on embarrassing yesterday. He’s totally gone. Sad to see

I wish Rodgers would just give Daka a proper run of games. Give him 8-10 games and keep him in, even if he isn’t scoring. He needs to build a rhythm and his confidence. It’s the only way he’ll do so. 

I agree up to a point but have we got enough points to do that? We desperately need a striker. Don't know who. They seem rare these days. We are toothless unless Barnes finishes his chances/Maddison is on song/ Tielemans has got his shooting boots on. If I was a defender due to  play our lot I wouldn't be losing any sleep.

Why don't we try nacho central and Barnes and Vardy left and right. They can be the supply but also nacho could.link with them. Vardy supplies Nacho numerous times a couple of seasons ago. I am not saying Vardy is or should be used as a winger but until we get one why not try something different?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

The initial hype was stupid but some of the juveniles on here go crazy anytime anyone actually signs for us. Slow build up football was always going to neutralise him. He doesn't have the power to hold up the ball. The fast break is where he becomes dangerous and with a partner preferably. This of course applied to Vardy and Barnes. The opposition know this and often concede possession slowing down our attacking play. Is this the tactic Rodgers prefers or does he have to contend with it. If the latter , he has little idea how to overcome it. Daka is a decent striker but maybe he is in the wrong team. No sensible opposition team are going to allow us to play to our strengths if they can help it. The way to beat it is intelligence and our recruitment should concentrate on finding clever players.

...what you are describing is 2 different types of playing!!!

We prefer moving players around to find an opening to break through teams, we are not good at it, we are poor on the ball in defense and teams trigger a press against us when certain defenrders are in possession.

Playing on the front foot with a highline suits us better, but we bring in the wrong players to make that work. How does a player such as Vestergaard play in a high backline, that was a ridiculous acquisition. 

Perhaps a hybrid of the two styles would be playing on the counter, we are more than capable of doing so, less possession, sitting deeper but with the pace to strike when the oppositions play breaks down.

We know what style we play, we just continually choose to bring in the wrong players to execute it.

Suddenly after bleating about not getting backed, Rodgers now speaks as if he has no say in the matter of who comes in. We know that is not true because he has stated that he is a big part of player acquisition and no-one comes into the club without his agreement. So if the personnel is wrong, he had a hand in bringing him in.

Let us not start making excuses for him, he does enough of that for himself. 

12 minutes ago, Rossiter said:

I agree up to a point but have we got enough points to do that? We desperately need a striker. Don't know who. They seem rare these days. We are toothless unless Barnes finishes his chances/Maddison is on song/ Tielemans has got his shooting boots on. If I was a defender due to  play our lot I wouldn't be losing any sleep.

Vardy isn’t scoring is he. Could Daka be any worse than Vardy was yesterday? It was a new low for him yesterday I thought. 

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...what you are describing is 2 different types of playing!!!

We prefer moving players around to find an opening to break through teams, we are not good at it, we are poor on the ball in defense and teams trigger a press against us when certain defenrders are in possession.

Playing on the front foot with a highline suits us better, but we bring in the wrong players to make that work. How does a player such as Vestergaard play in a high backline, that was a ridiculous acquisition. 

Perhaps a hybrid of the two styles would be playing on the counter, we are more than capable of doing so, less possession, sitting deeper but with the pace to strike when the oppositions play breaks down.

We know what style we play, we just continually choose to bring in the wrong players to execute it.

Suddenly after bleating about not getting backed, Rodgers now speaks as if he has no say in the matter of who comes in. We know that is not true because he has stated that he is a big part of player acquisition and no-one comes into the club without his agreement. So if the personnel is wrong, he had a hand in bringing him in.

Let us not start making excuses for him, he does enough of that for himself. 

I am certainly not making excuses , his time with us is definitely over. The principle thing is the opposition know our striker's strengths and are not going to allow us to play to them if they can help it. It is no surprise that Maddison is our leading goalscorer because he has the brain to overcome this. We need intelligent players.

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

I am certainly not making excuses , his time with us is definitely over. The principle thing is the opposition know our striker's strengths and are not going to allow us to play to them if they can help it. It is no surprise that Maddison is our leading goalscorer because he has the brain to overcome this. We need intelligent players.

...it is not what the opposition does which negates Daka,  it is how we have chosen to play that neuters him!!!

10 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

Quick mention for Tielemans as well. He’s carried us these last few weeks. What a great player. 

Was poor in the last 15 minutes. Him mistiming the challenge in the lead of to their goal was a bigger travesty that famous Cags mistimed challenge against spurs last year, but he will get away with it because he is Tielemans.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rossiter said:

I think we've had more than one or two strikers over the years who have done the business. Depends how far we go back. In more recent years you're right.

For me it has only been a thing since Ade Akinbiyi, which is odd because any new striker would think "I can't do any worse than his guy" hence the pressure should be off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it is not what the opposition does which negates Daka,  it is how we have chosen to play that neuters him!!!

Largely because the opposition concede possession , whether we want the ball or not . Opposition managers know that is the best tactic to employ. Rodgers , like any manager , cannot determine how a match is played once the whistle goes.

3 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Was poor in the last 15 minutes. Him mistiming the challenge in the lead of to their goal was a bigger travesty that famous Cags mistimed challenge against spurs last year, but he will get away with it because he is Tielemans.

Showed no desire to block the cross either. Just let Estupinan go by him then half-heartedly dangled a leg out. Tbf he was probably knackered by this point.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier

2 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

To be fair I thought he looked Bo!!ocked during that time, nay other team he would have been replaced by then after all hei hard work

38 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

I wish Rodgers would just give Daka a proper run of games. Give him 8-10 games and keep him in, even if he isn’t scoring. He needs to build a rhythm and his confidence. It’s the only way he’ll do so. 

A lack of a run of games and rhythm has really held Iheanacho back here.

1 hour ago, trooky said:

Daka was too deep and should have been up by the halfway to receive the ball.

Amartey was also slated on MOTD for not being level with Faes, he was a good few yards behind Faes and if level would have occupied the space tha Ferguson run into and scored.

I agree. On the MOTD highlights, Vardy was doing the same. Therefore I think it was a tactical decision to get Daka on and play deeper. The wrong tactical decision at that. Even if you want to protect a lead, you should still have one outlet to play to on the counter at least. 

Not having that, just allows the pressure to build as well as momentum for the side chasing the game. They then have more of the ball in/near the opposition goal. 

Amartey indeed should have stepped up. Mendy could have got in the way of the run. Our defenders didn't attack the ball, their striker did. Even a slight distraction or resistance to Ferguson meant he'd have not got as clean a header as he did. 

17 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

‘Poor ‘ because he was knackered from carrying the team probably. Still set up that Vardy chance in the last 20 mins or so . Your version of poor is different to mine! 

Vardy has been first choice recently as Brendan seems to have given up on Rotating the two. Its not worked with Vardy on his own, and subbing Daka on in the 86th minute is complete nonsense even by Brendan's standard. 

Brendan is not going to admit the system doesn't work. If he gets his RW, does he stick with this still?

Daka needs a run of games too in the way Vardy has. But in this system and style, he's going to be feeding off scraps.

3 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Largely because the opposition concede possession , whether we want the ball or not . Opposition managers know that is the best tactic to employ. Rodgers , like any manager , cannot determine how a match is played once the whistle goes.

...just take a look at Vardy back in the day!!!

Teams were not dropping deep, they should have done but they did not, which allowed the ball over the top or a through ball to be played for Vardy to run on to with plenty of space in behind. Eventually teams started sitting deeper and that afforded no space to run into behind a backline. This meant we had to find a way to break the opposition down in a different way.

If teams decide to concede possession to us, therefore we are already dictating the way the game is to be played, before even taking to the pitch.

Pep does not change his style, Klopp will still look to press, the way the games are played are already fixed.

It is the policy of choosing to play in a way that does not play to our strengths that makes this team so vulnerable. 

1 minute ago, Dickov22 said:

‘Poor ‘ because he was knackered from carrying the team probably. Still set up that Vardy chance in the last 20 mins or so . Your version of poor is different to mine! 

Unfit then. I agree though he had a good game leading up to the last 15 mins or so. But he (along with a few others) has to be making those tackles. You are letting him because he is Tielemans.

57 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

Or just play Nacho :dunno:

I think our defensive shortcomings are more easily remedied than our striking ones. Vardy is done and neither Nacho or Daka are good enough. We can argue who should start, but none of them are really enough. Forest getting Wood in was a great bit of business.