Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesWalk

Sowah (Loan)

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Not in training this morning - this is all done pending a visa

Neither was praet.

2 hours ago, Guest said:

I do agree that we shouldn't just sign someone for the sake of signing someone because that's how you end up with piles of deadwood who take an eternity to shift, as we know better than pretty much anyone. Having three not great right wingers, for instance, doesn't put really us in a better position than having two and it's more expensive to boot. 

However, lots of those players I mentioned do satisfy all or most of those criteria. Some of them are borderline dossers who I wouldn't want near our starting eleven, but if we want to talk value for money, potential and resale value then our signing of Perez does not compare favourably to someone like Raphinha, Neto or ASM.

Realistically I think the days of us plucking some mystery winger from nowhere for a few hundred grand and him strolling into the first team are over, and equally the days of us being a financial powerhouse who can take whoever we want without really giving a shit about the price are very much a distant dream. My point was that there is plenty of value to be had in the space between, proven repeatedly by less attractive teams with fewer resources than us going out and acquiring good first-choice wingers for about the same as we've just spent on a fourth-choice centre back with a year left on his contract. It should be well, well within our capabilities to make noticeable improvements there without breaking the bank, and maybe we'd have done so without Fofana's injury. I've got very few complaints about our transfer policy (and given my whining here I can see why you might think otherwise) but our continuing blind spot for wingers is hurting us imo.

I didn’t mean the next Mahrez in a literal “unknown £400K signing” sense. 

just more that if we’re willing to spend £30m+ on an untested CB, like Fofana (but confident in his growth potential) then we may as well try and find a RW in a similar mold. 

no point in spending £20m on a RW who is ‘only’ ‘better than Perez’ when we *could* spend £30m on much better 

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

just more that if we’re willing to spend £30m+ on an untested CB, like Fofana (but confident in his growth potential) then we may as well try and find a RW in a similar mold. 

no point in spending £20m on a RW who is ‘only’ ‘better than Perez’ when we *could* spend £30m on much better 

....that is the problem....we are looking for that quality and it will cost!!!

So we will spend a long time trying to tie someone down as when they reach that price range they are going to be insisting on a Champions League football club. We are down the list so far as they are concerned and they are going to be reluctant to come if they can see that there is another avenue for them.

The market we are dipping into for wingers is quite varied picking up Adli or Sima is at the lower middle level and we could have developed them within the squad.

I think this is probably the next step in our transfer strategy. Like some of the big clubs do, develop young players and start to sell them off to fund squad/youth development. I seem to remember Tottenham doing this rather well a number of years ago as part of their growth. I just hope they put decent buy back and sell on clauses in their contracts!

Guest Chocolate Teapot

This transfers demonstrates where we need to get better at if we want to keep evolving.

We are very good at selling first teaners and internationals for large fees but what we need to do a little more of is flog fringe players for around 15m like we are doing with sowah here (albeit for half of that). Difficult summer to do this as the pond for players like praet and choudhury isn't enormous. 

18 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

This transfers demonstrates where we need to get better at if we want to keep evolving.

We are very good at selling first teaners and internationals for large fees but what we need to do a little more of is flog fringe players for around 15m like we are doing with sowah here (albeit for half of that). Difficult summer to do this as the pond for players like praet and choudhury isn't enormous. 

Brendan is also good at freezing players out which will put off suitors.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, KFS said:

Brendan is also good at freezing players out which will put off suitors.

Quite the opposite actually. Only player that's been frozen out is praet, which I find a little baffling but he's been very good at involving players like amartey, hamza, mendy, etc

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

Quite the opposite actually. Only player that's been frozen out is praet, which I find a little baffling but he's been very good at involving players like amartey, hamza, mendy, etc

We got peanuts for Gray who he froze out. It’s a wonder how Under has rocked up at OM and then you have Praet of course. Hamza is in dangerous ‘freezing out’ territory hence no bids. 

Amartey is only being used given the situation.

We are really bad at shifting deadwood.

39 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

No he didn't. The reason all those players were involved was injuries to first team XI. Without that none of them would have got game time. Praet was playing only when Madders was injured. 

BR probably never heard about rotation.

* English is not my first language, so my apologies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KFS said:

We got peanuts for Gray who he froze out. It’s a wonder how Under has rocked up at OM and then you have Praet of course. Hamza is in dangerous ‘freezing out’ territory hence no bids. 

Amartey is only being used given the situation.

We are really bad at shifting deadwood.

Grays contract was expiring and was going to leave for free in 6 months. I still think £2.2m for him was on the low side as clubs are seeming to get desperate teams to pay quite inflated fees given players can leave for nothing mere months later but the decision for Gray to leave was because he sensed the opportunity to finally get away from being a fringe player at Leicester. You can't tell me he deserved to be playing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

If this was KDH we were selling for a decent fee, although I'd not really want that to happen I could understand given we've about 30 central midfielders and he's nearly 23 but we have hardly any wingers and he's not taking up a space in our squad. This deal stinks.

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, BlackFox said:

No he didn't. The reason all those players were involved was injuries to first team XI. Without that none of them would have got game time. Praet was playing only when Madders was injured. 

But I don't think anyone could rationally say they should start ahead of ndidi on the pl? He involved them plenty in the cups.

38 minutes ago, BlackFox said:

You speak truth like that I ain't getting hung up on no grammars.

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

But I don't think anyone could rationally say they should start ahead of ndidi on the pl? He involved them plenty in the cups.

Well that's not enough apparently. A testament to that will be the amount of injuries we had in last two seasons and we had more than a capable squad.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
17 minutes ago, BlackFox said:

Well that's not enough apparently. A testament to that will be the amount of injuries we had in last two seasons and we had more than a capable squad.

I hardly think that's freezing players out.

19 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Be hard to find any good winger, all good ones have moved or crucial to their teams, only wingers left are the ones the clubs don't want, aka the shit ones, our window is done

If anything, Mendy was “defrosted” by Rodgers.

Mendy had one foot out the door before Rodgers came in and almost immediately worked him back into the squad as a substitute.

Mendy had options in the Middle East last summer, but signed a new 3-year deal—hardly a signal that he felt unwelcome at the club 

He made 23 appearances in the Premier League last season!

I mean, seriously.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

If this was KDH we were selling for a decent fee, although I'd not really want that to happen I could understand given we've about 30 central midfielders and he's nearly 23 but we have hardly any wingers and he's not taking up a space in our squad. This deal stinks.

We can only assume BR has had a look and decided he isn't good enough, if he is going to give him a game then we may as well cash in. 

I would be disappointed if he goes and we don't bring in a wide player.

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We can only assume BR has had a look and decided he isn't good enough, if he is going to give him a game then we may as well cash in. 

I would be disappointed if he goes and we don't bring in a wide player.

Rodgers has never really had much time with Sowah , he has been in Belgium most of  his tenure. Given his much vaunted ability to upgrade young players you would have thought he would have given Sowah a bit more time to see if he can make the grade.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Grays contract was expiring and was going to leave for free in 6 months. I still think £2.2m for him was on the low side as clubs are seeming to get desperate teams to pay quite inflated fees given players can leave for nothing mere months later but the decision for Gray to leave was because he sensed the opportunity to finally get away from being a fringe player at Leicester. You can't tell me he deserved to be playing?

He was poison in the dressing room apparantly.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, BlackFox said:

Letting players play only in cup matches is  freezing 

That's a bizarre opinion.