Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesWalk

Sowah (Loan)

17 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I'd argue the highlighted part, definitely better on the right but he is more than good enough to play there at times (providing it's not for a prolonged period). 

With the concerns about wingers too, I agree another option is needed, but I raise you the diamond formation. I think it's inevitable that we'll use two striker formations fairly frequently across the season (meaning wingers are unlikely to start) with 3 top strikers to rotate and an ageing Vardy to keep fresh. 

I think given how good Barnes is, most teams in the league would miss him if he was theirs and picked up an injury. Any winger we're bringing in is unlikely to have close to the impact that Barnes has for us, but to have a guy to nurture as the next Barnes over the next few years would be a very welcome addition. 

It's all very much unproven though isn't it which given where we are as a club, on the cusp of the top 4 and firmly in the top 6 mix it feels a really jolt to the Rodgers tenure.

The horrendous injuries have caused some of this, certainly around the need for more defenders but it doesn't detract the ignorance around the balance in our wide areas. I'd understand if 4-2-3-1 wasn't our best and preferred formation. It puts a huge burden on Barnes in the league and Europe on the back of a long term injury that would be harrowing to see flare up again.

Castagne didn't show any sign of playing the left wing back role well enough last season. All of his best displays came either at right back or right wing back for us and if we are going to weaken our whole team by going 3 at the back (difficult with the lack of central defensive options in the short to medium term anyway) then what we are losing from the pace and goalscoring threat of Barnes, not to mention how limited Maddison is in a 3-4-1-2 then you need the wing backs to create a lot of assists and ideally chip in with several goals as otherwise the net effect is down. Iheanacho comes alive in a front 2 but Vardy less so, so losing Barnes and Maddisons goals and assists and having no left sided wing back who chips in with many you can see the drop in supply and goals.

Not to mention we are defensively poorer in a back 3, we ship way more it felt and collectively that's why we showed relegation form in the final stretch of 2019/20 season and nose dived again in the final stretch of the 2020/21 season. This might all be very subjective but so is the notion we'll be OK without rectifying our glaring weakness in our squad to better enable us to play our most dangerous system across 4 competitions throughout a season.

He's tried to the diamond a few times and although it worked in 2019/20 away at Villa and when chasing the win at home to Liverpool in February, its also been a car crash in other attempts to play it. It would definitely be something worth trying though with Soumare and KDH now joined. Still unproven though and therefore hardly something to gain any sense of assurance we're in a healthy position going in to another demanding season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

People have a proper weird fetish about youth players don't they. £7m + for him is outrageous. 

feels like we have gone proper big time lol

he’s not played a single minute of league football for us and we get that PLUS Add ons!

• Haha 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

People have a proper weird fetish about youth players don't they. £7m + for him is outrageous. 

Madness that we managed to sell an international player who was virtually player of the year to a champions league side for 2m and kamal who's had a decent season for leuven for 2 and a half times that.

3 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Madness that we managed to sell an international player who was virtually player of the year to a champions league side for 2m and kamal who's had a decent season for leuven for 2 and a half times that.

Wages I’m afraid. If Rachid was on £2000 a week we would have had plenty of takers and got a better fee.

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

They sold a CB to Leverkusen for £20m and with the money got Sowah, a CB, CDM, LB and LW... and we got more than double the money you’d expect to get for someone like Sowah, especially when selling into the Belgian league.

edit: initially the wrong years transfer window! 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's not that for me, it's the fact we only have 3 wingers and one of those is Perez. He doesn't take up a space in the PL squad, he's left footed and like shut off a shovel. If we get another winger I then I'll not be too fussed as it seems this deal includes a sell on and/or buy back + add ons. It is a decent deal but doesn't surprise me as he was very well thought of in Belgium and its a punt but Brugge tend to do very well at buying and selling.

49 minutes ago, Babylon said:

George Hirst just needs to go the right club, at his level with no strikers and a flat pitch with green grass and he'll be ready in no time .

43 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I wonder if we’ll insert a buyback clause ???

Even if we haven't, as I said above, selling him for £7m, giving him two or three years of first team football and then signing him back for £25-30m if he comes good is the kinda circles we mix in now... 

27 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Even if we haven't, as I said above, selling him for £7m, giving him two or three years of first team football and then signing him back for £25-30m if he comes good is the kinda circles we mix in now... 

Although Sowah is so absolutely not the example of this (since he never played for our u23s) the fact is this is what you want when you have a £100 million training complex. Selling guys who never played for the first team for £5-10 million after successful loan spells.

Either he truly wasn't good enough for the PL, or we have something else lined up. This one doesn't bother me.

I’d guess if we didn’t have a defensive crisis and need for a first choice RW we’d be able to afford to keep him to see how he develops. As it is there is unfortunately a need to raise funds and if he’s one of the only players we’ve had a bid for it may have forced our hand.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I've a horrible feeling this will be the breaking of Rodgers here. I'm baffled the longer this transfer window goes on and the decisions this club has made in the last year.

....it is as if someone has an input, who should not be part of the decision making process....!!!

I get the feeling that this search is being driven by one person and not by a collective few.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's not that for me, it's the fact we only have 3 wingers and one of those is Perez. He doesn't take up a space in the PL squad, he's left footed and like shut off a shovel. If we get another winger I then I'll not be too fussed as it seems this deal includes a sell on and/or buy back + add ons. It is a decent deal but doesn't surprise me as he was very well thought of in Belgium and its a punt but Brugge tend to do very well at buying and selling.

If the manager doesn’t rate him that highly, what’s the point. He won’t play as he’d play Perez, Albrighton and Ricardo ahead of him anyway.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If the manager doesn’t rate him that highly, what’s the point. He won’t play as he’d play Perez, Albrighton and Ricardo ahead of him anyway.

Rodgers seemingly does rate him from his public comments about him just 3 days ago, his comments at the time to me suggested they would have been loaning him out rather than selling him.

“He’s a very talented boy, very conscientious, and trains well. It would probably be limited game-time that he would get here, so we’ll see how that goes between now and the end of the window.”

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-weigh-up-kamal-5815569

There is seemingly also some sort of buy back clause involved in the deal as well, showing that the club do rate him to some extent and want to protect themselves

Edited by moore_94

28 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Rodgers seemingly does rate him from his public comments about him just 3 days ago, his comments at the time to me suggested they would have been loaning him out rather than selling him.

“He’s a very talented boy, very conscientious, and trains well. It would probably be limited game-time that he would get here, so we’ll see how that goes between now and the end of the window.”

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-weigh-up-kamal-5815569

There is seemingly also some sort of buy back clause involved in the deal as well, showing that the club do rate him to some extent and want to protect themselves

The point being if he was good enough NOW to be involved, we wouldn't be loaning him out. And if he rated him long term, we wouldn't be selling him. Also, you take what managers say with a pinch of salt, they aren't going to slag players off. 

• Like 2