Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Internationals 2021/22

On 24/08/2021 at 11:23, moore_94 said:

Jonny Evans called up for NI for September fixtures…

Lithuania (away), Estonia (away), Switzerland (home)

I get the strong impression that Jonny is there to help the younger members of the squad - encouragement and advice - and is not gonna play a lot, if at all 🤞

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Imagine finishing 5th two seasons on the bounce, having been in the top 4 almost the entire time, as well as win an FA Cup and during that time only 1 of our young English players got any call ups and played and that was Ben Chilwell who Southgate coached at U21's.

I know circumstances and injuries have likely scuppered Justin and Barnes getting call ups (actually Barnes did get 1 didn't he) but his hatred of Maddison is just astonishing. This season he's been excellent and is now everything Southgate wants from a creative midfielder. Infuriating.

Mitchell over Luke Thomas as well 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I can totally understand why Southgate hasn't selected Madders or Thomas.. Its cos he's Southgate.

• Haha 1

I can’t believe we’re still getting exercised by Southgate’s pathetic impersonation of an international manager . He has an impressive collection of waistcoats and is sufficiently    Well mannered not to tell the the press and media to get f***** when things don’t go his way . 

That’s all the boxes ticked from the FA perspective - job for life 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Imagine finishing 5th two seasons on the bounce, having been in the top 4 almost the entire time, as well as win an FA Cup and during that time only 1 of our young English players got any call ups and played and that was Ben Chilwell who Southgate coached at U21's.

I know circumstances and injuries have likely scuppered Justin and Barnes getting call ups (actually Barnes did get 1 didn't he) but his hatred of Maddison is just astonishing. This season he's been excellent and is now everything Southgate wants from a creative midfielder. Infuriating.

Mitchell over Luke Thomas as well 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Compare that to Palace getting 3 players called up after hanging around mid table all season, admittedly playing quite entertaining football for once.

• Like 1

Maddison not getting a call up is a joke. 

I am big fan of Thomas, Barnes and Justin but I can just about understand why they haven't been called up this time but to not even take a look at Madders.....it's inexplicable. Just look at the stats Mr Southgate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Compare that to Palace getting 3 players called up after hanging around mid table all season, admittedly playing quite entertaining football for once.

What, being called up by the same Gareth Southgate who spent 7 years playing for Palace?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J. James said:

I can totally understand why Southgate hasn't selected Madders or Thomas.. Its cos he's Southgate.

There’s no way Thomas is ready for an England call up yet. Madders should be in with a shot though if he keeps this form up until the end of the season 

7 minutes ago, Clarkey123 said:

There’s no way Thomas is ready for an England call up yet. Madders should be in with a shot though if he keeps this form up until the end of the season 

I would say if Tyrick Mitchell can get a call up then Thomas definitely should be able to

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clarkey123 said:

Probably not but he's probably then he's the best English left back around given the injury/form situation so the idea that Mitchell gets picked ahead of him is farcical.

1 hour ago, Clarkey123 said:

You say that, then have a look at the other fullbacks in this squad, can we honestly say any of them at that much better than Thomas?

Come be realistic, Thomas Kay one day be a top class fullback , but at present he goes backwards for to much , and his passing is a bit off , Justin has just returned from injury, so no case there . Maddison until a few weeks back was playing like a busy arse , yes he has turned it around , but he needs to do it for a bit longer me thinks . 

Leicester and England have rarely mixed. Lineker, Shilton and Banks are the only real exceptions and they got most of their caps after leaving. Some of our greatest ever English players , Chandler, Hine, Rowley, Weller ,Cross got very few caps. Yet no doubt an average player like Chilwell will get dozens more now he has left.

Best time I recall was we had Shilton, Weller, Worthington all in the 1974 England Squad.  Joe Mercer was the temporary manager after Alf Ramsey had resigned.  Remember watching at Wembley when Weller came on as a 2nd half sub against Northern Ireland Worthington set him up for the only goal and we won 1 0.

Unfortunately, Mercer was only a temporary manager of England they then appointed Don Revie ex Leeds and Weller and Worthington were dropped from the squad, albeit both had scored goals playing for England under Mercer.

Edited by suffolk fox
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, moore_94 said:

I would say if Tyrick Mitchell can get a call up then Thomas definitely should be able to

There’s not a great deal of difference, but I’d say Mitchell probably edges it on merit. He’s played more in the prem than Thomas and has had his best season so far. I think Thomas will come good, but should have to keep working hard and improving to stake his claim. Blooding him in the England squad so soon probably wouldn’t do him a great deal of good anyway. Keep him hungry…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clarkey123 said:

There’s not a great deal of difference, but I’d say Mitchell probably edges it on merit. He’s played more in the prem than Thomas and has had his best season so far. I think Thomas will come good, but should have to keep working hard and improving to stake his claim. Blooding him in the England squad so soon probably wouldn’t do him a great deal of good anyway. Keep him hungry…

Although Mitchell has played more games in the Prem they both have the same amount of senior appearances even with Mitchell being 2 years older, and Thomas’ appearances includes much higher pressure games such as European football and cup finals

51 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Although Mitchell has played more games in the Prem they both have the same amount of senior appearances even with Mitchell being 2 years older, and Thomas’ appearances includes much higher pressure games such as European football and cup finals

Only thing Mitchell has over Thomas is pace.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, suffolk fox said:

Best time I recall was we had Shilton, Weller, Worthington all in the 1974 England Squad.  Joe Mercer was the temporary manager after Alf Ramsey had resigned.  Remember watching at Wembley when Weller came on as a 2nd half sub against Northern Ireland Worthington set him up for the only goal and we won 1 0.

Unfortunately, Mercer was only a temporary manager of England they then appointed Don Revie ex Leeds and Weller and Worthington were dropped from the squad, albeit both had scored goals playing for England under Mercer.

Not much has changed in fifty years then …… Southgate is just another revie, another Taylor …..when we need a venables with the talent we have … 

• Like 1