Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Internationals 2021/22

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Mount is a pony, Foden is decent but in a world class team.

Madders has at time dragged us through periods of averageness, I’ve never understood why that doesn’t count for more when it comes to England. It is why they will never win a major tournament again as long as they continue to employ gormless fools like Southgate. 

This is why I have barely any interest in England, I'm going atm to get points for Euro 2024, once that's done I'll bin the whole thing off, it's a shambles and they'll always employ yes men or idiots.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, enmac said:

Re Maddison. It reminds me of Alan Hudson back in the 1970s.2 caps, and he was world class. How many caps did Keith Weller get? Was it 4?

Revie was the manager back then. Another a hole. Almost seems that 

he picked Justin to have a dig at him, because he's not at his absolute best at the moment. 

Agree. Also our own Muzzy Izzet. I think it may have been Hoddle or Keegan possibly who ignored the obvious selection of Izzet in favour of bigger club also rans who performed abysmally in Euro 2000. In the end Muzzy gave up and decided to play for Turkey. Then there was Jack Wilshere who was picked ahead of Danny Drinkwater in 2016 England midfield by Woy Hodgson. Wilshere who had played all of 120 minutes that season and simply wasn't fit. We limped out versus Iceland. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Hardly set the world alight enough to warrant it and there's about 5 RBs in the squad anyway.

Also just proves there's an agenda against Maddison, Maddison does it all season, JJ does ok for 4 games and gets a call up.

How many left backs are in the squad?

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

We can’t moan about players not being called up on form and then not say a Leicester player who still looks half-fit and hasn’t really sparkled  since coming back from injury doesn’t deserve to get called up tbf.

I think Justin will come back real well next season but it’s a daft call up and if I was a fan of another club I’d be baffled by it.

Realistically what other available left backs/left wing backs deserve to be called up ahead of him? That are also as versatile as him?

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If he's using him as a LB then fair enough, Southgate will likely give him 20 minutes over the 2 games though knowing the moron.

That has to be the reason he's in and if Southgate scouted him in our last 3 games against the leagues cannon fodder, JJ was playing at left back and played quite well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

How many left backs are in the squad?

If he uses him there, if so fair enough.

Regardless, he's hardly done anything, had a decent 3 or 4 games, and he's been called up. Other LBs from other teams have played better for a longer period of time. As someone earlier said, we moan when Southgate picks favourites then justify it when it's our own.

Didn't Southgate once say he wouldn't pick Maddison because he could only play one position? Since then he's played as 8, 10 and at RW. It's like Southgate's perennially 6 months behind. Gallagher's been off it for a long time now.

skysports-jarrod-bowen-england_5782413.j

Trippier's played 113 minutes since his injury in February. Coady is shit and can only play in a 3 so picking 11 defenders is just nuts. There's definitely space for Maddison even if it means not picking him over other midfielders.

4 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Says it all really 

8FFB377F-C20E-4D7A-9A23-B93C2F466E11.jpeg

Southgate said ‘he finished the season very strongly.’ Reading between the lines he is probably trying to claim that he hasn’t been consistent enough.

But this has been a player who has been unbelievable since November. Also, I like ESR and Gallagher but surely you apply the same argument. Both started the season well but have done very little since Christmas. It’s a farce. 

Mount and Foden are clearly the first choices. Both have only scored a handful of goals and both played in world class sides. I’ll be the first to accept that I have criticised Maddison in the past but he really deserved this. Gutted for him.

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Why is JJ being called up an absolute joke?

It's not a 'joke' but he hasn't been particularly good for us recently, especially compared to his pre-injury form. Personally I think it makes sense to bed him into the squad as when he returns to form he will be a key utility player for England but I understand why people are questioning it considering southgate says he picks based on form. I think some of the frustration that maddison wasn't being picked is leaking over into the JJ selection.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Hardly set the world alight enough to warrant it and there's about 5 RBs in the squad anyway.

Also just proves there's an agenda against Maddison, Maddison does it all season, JJ does ok for 4 games and gets a call up.

He will play left back. Apart from that he was in the reckoning before his injury and has recovered superbly. He has played well the last few games. His athleticism is back. With Chilwell out and shaw out of a poor United team he deserves the call up. 

This is the first and only time I think Maddison actually deserves a call up. 

Connor Gallagher deservedly got his call up earlier on in the season but he hasn't been anywhere near the level of Maddison since which makes a mockery of everything Southgate has spouted in the past about picking players on form lol 

• Like 2