Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Internationals 2021/22

34 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Grealish is a much better footballer than Barnes though, let's be honest here. I understand the argument for picking players on form but you can't just pick players based on form. If you did that then we would moan when the squad understandably has no cohesion because it keeps changing so drastically. 

But that’s why he picked Gallagher he had a superb start to the season. 

Now a reliable Southgate pick apparently 🙃

23 minutes ago, davieG said:

Southgate said he has selected 11 defenders in his squad because of doubts over the fitness of some.

"It is a bit of a minefield, in terms of players who have missed football and are coming back from injuries," he said. "Luke Shaw and Ben Chilwell haven't played at all. Marc Guehi is a doubt.

"Fikayo has had a very good season with AC Milan and I talked in March about wanting to have a look at some of the young centre-backs coming through and some of these guys are slightly ahead of Tyrone [Mings], who has always played well for us.

This is probably a reflection of my waning football knowledge, but this is the first time in my life that the England squad has included a player that I've genuinely never heard of.

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

There's a reason why that could be considered controversial/unpopular, because it's frankly ridiculous. The squad that France had in the 2018 World Cup was miles better than England's. In fact it would be hilarious to even try to compare them. 

True, France were different class, but unfortunately we never got to test ourselves against them as Southgate's gutless, negative tactics snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against Croatia. Same thing happened against Italy. Chances to win the biggest prizes in world football don't come along very often and Southgate failed to take advantage twice. He's a perennial loser! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Amin said:

This is probably a reflection of my waning football knowledge, but this is the first time in my life that the England squad has included a player that I've genuinely never heard of.

You’ve never heard of the Crystal Palace centre back Marc Guehi? Who was in the Previous England squad? 

I like him, to a point, but still think it's mad that Connor Coady is a consistent pick. He's the sort of player who gets a cap in a friendly when noone else can be arsed. But he's a good guy in the squad and Southgate loves that. There is no way he goes to the world cup. He'll be in provisional squad and dropped. 

Southgate in his comments deliberately misleading too. Playing it as "well he isn't going to get ahead of Mount or Foden" when in fact it's the massive surplus of defensive players that is the issue (and ignoring the fact that he's been better than Grealish this year too). The composition of the squad by position is just ridiculous. You could maybe make a case for it in a tournament squad but this is for a couple of friendlies!

20 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

There's a reason why that could be considered controversial/unpopular, because it's frankly ridiculous. The squad that France had in the 2018 World Cup was miles better than England's. In fact it would be hilarious to even try to compare them. 

Well maybe should have got to the final then, still underachieved.

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Well maybe should have got to the final then, still underachieved.

Not having that either. World class midfielders enable you to control football matches, especially at international level. Croatia had two genuine world class central midfielders at the time in Modric and Raktic, whereas England had none.

26 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Maybe controversial or unpopular opinion, but I think we got where we despite Southgate not due to him. A better manager and we'd be world and European champions. The squad, and players outside it at his disposal, he could be getting more out of them.

23 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Oh and when I say more out of them, I also mean better playing style. He's ultra ultra defensive plays 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders. There's a wealth of attacking talent that is wasted, and whilst I appreciate we are a solid team, I think if we unleashed ourselves a tad more we'd have succeeded on occasions where we haven't.

Just now, BenTheFox said:

Not having that either. World class midfielders enable you to control football matches, especially at international level. Croatia had two genuine world class central midfielders at the time in Modric and Raktic, whereas England had none.

We took the lead in that match, a good manager would have gone for the jugular and kill Croatia off, but we sat on it and let them back into it. 

If your playing the ultra defensive team he likes so much, with 2 defensive minded midfielders, you should be able to nullify those midfielders to a degree.

14 minutes ago, SixtiesFox said:

True, France were different class, but unfortunately we never got to test ourselves against them as Southgate's gutless, negative tactics snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against Croatia. Same thing happened against Italy. Chances to win the biggest prizes in world football don't come along very often and Southgate failed to take advantage twice. He's a perennial loser! 

Your onto something mate. We’ve all been whipped up by the frenzy of England reaching the finals of the euros that we’ve not been very critical of how we got there and more importantly southgates part in that progress. Good players and a good team does the bulk of the work when everything ticks. If they run out of ideas is where a good manager can make a difference as he sees something no one else does tactically. Against Italy southgate missed a trick. He should have gone for their jugular when they were on the ropes 1st half. Instead we have Mancini the breather he desperately needed to reset and swing the momentum. Love them or hate them Italy played a masterclass in tournament football to the end. The difference is southgate always runs out of ideas or belief or confidence or all bloody 3! If it was Mancini managing England on that day I have a funny feeling we win.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SixtiesFox said:

I admit to having bias towards him. I warmed to him early on when he almost immediately binned the likes of Hart and Rooney, whereas Allardyce only weeks earlier in his only game in charge said "Rooney can play wherever he wants" despite everyone knowing that he needed to be moved on. Under Capello and Hodgson I had never felt so detached from the national team and most people had fallen complete out of love with it. He managed to get a group of players pulling in the same direction which had clearly been an issue with England teams of the past and I actually feel somewhat connected to the national team again. He comes under some unfair criticism for me, especially when he is branded a 'coward' when he has picked teams which he knew would be unpopular (see Germany in the Euros) and he has had the humility to admit that he would have been a dead man had it not worked out. I acknowledge that my expectations are low, but who could blame me having known nothing but disappointment from the national team? 

12 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Your onto something mate. We’ve all been whipped up by the frenzy of England reaching the finals of the euros that we’ve not been very critical of how we got there and more importantly southgates part in that progress. Good players and a good team does the bulk of the work when everything ticks. If they run out of ideas is where a good manager can make a difference as he sees something no one else does tactically. Against Italy southgate missed a trick. He should have gone for their jugular when they were on the ropes 1st half. Instead we have Mancini the breather he desperately needed to reset and swing the momentum. Love them or hate them Italy played a masterclass in tournament football to the end. The difference is southgate always runs out of ideas or belief or confidence or all bloody 3! If it was Mancini managing England on that day I have a funny feeling we win.

Swings and roundabouts though, the same Mancini failed to qualify for the world cup after losing to ****ing North Macedonia!!! 

31 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Southgate in his comments deliberately misleading too. Playing it as "well he isn't going to get ahead of Mount or Foden" when in fact it's the massive surplus of defensive players that is the issue (and ignoring the fact that he's been better than Grealish this year too). The composition of the squad by position is just ridiculous. You could maybe make a case for it in a tournament squad but this is for a couple of friendlies!

We know what’s coming, we’ll see a lot slow build up play between our five right backs and comfortably beat average teams. Then once we’re up against the better teams we’ll struggle to create chances with 3 CDM’s getting nose bleeds inside the opponent’s 6 yard box and concede via silly mistakes by Maguire or Pickford. 

The best thing will be everyone chucking beer over each other in the those live feeds and drug fuelled fans sticking flares up their ar@ses. 

Edited by Lesta Legend

Maddison cannot do anymore, bloke has had a great season and answered all the questions. Not any reason to leave him out beyond personal issues.

Pleased for Justin although not sure he's been in top form.

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

Maddison cannot do anymore, bloke has had a great season and answered all the questions. Not any reason to leave him out beyond personal issues.

Pleased for Justin although not sure he's been in top form.

He can do more, move to a club that the utter chump in charge will be happy to pick you from. 100% if he played for a big 6 club he’d be in the squad. Whether Foden and Mount are there or not. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guest David Oldfields Gate
8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My hatred of Garry Southgate knows no bounds.

Glad it's not just me.