Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

West Ham United 4-1 Leicester City - Post Match Thread

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Load of guff from Rodgers there, praising our mentality which was quite frankly shit, you could see the players heads completely dropped after their third.

Most frustrating thing was throughout the second half, every time Wet Ham had a corner we put everyone in the box, we didn't leave a single player outside of it to break. Predicably, every clearance from a corner went straight to a west ham player (they were like cricketeers fielding) who pinged it back in or had a shot. Totally amateur.

Yeah I don't agree about the mentality. Several heads dropped tonight 

32 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

Barnes aside & arguably Vardy / Ricardo, there’s absolutely no pace in the side is there, nobody who can get away from a man.

Every team seems so much quicker and sharper than us. 

We also never pass it passed the nearest teammate, the ball is never switched. If Ricardo wants to get it to Barnes, it ponders through Amartey Soyuncu, maybe back and forward to Tielemans before getting to Barnes. No player was spraying the ball about whereas West Ham were quite happy to hit cross field passes, and pass to the second or third man to add a bit of dynamism to their play.

Tielemans was annonymous to the defenders, marked out of the game and never showing it for and our constand playing out of the back played right into their hands. Amartey did well, but he should not be our player with the most passes at the end of a match, and we should not be using him to dictate the tempo of the game.

4 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Most frustrating thing was throughout the second half, every time Wet Ham had a corner we put everyone in the box, we didn't leave a single player outside of it to break. Predicably, every clearance from a corner went straight to a west ham player (they were like cricketeers fielding) who pinged it back in or had a shot. Totally amateur.

This seems quite common now among even the top sides (think I noticed Liverpool doing it against Burnley). And probably even more so by sides a man down.

6 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Load of guff from Rodgers there, praising our mentality which was quite frankly shit, you could see the players heads completely dropped after their third.

Shocking from him all round. 

5 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

I would actually say our mentality was poor from the off..

just no drive and ambition from us..

the 10 minute spell of Big cock and big Dan passing it between themelves was one of the more embarrassing things I have seen in a football pitch..

we were already beat by then!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, John rayner said:

Yes agreed Perez was fouled before his sending off ,

It was a foul last season but not this season.  The refs are letting more go, which is why we need to toughen up, and why West Ham are going to benefit from the new rules.

2 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

It was a foul last season but not this season.  The refs are letting more go, which is why we need to toughen up, and why West Ham are going to benefit from the new rules.

I think that's part of the reason Perez doesn't go down. He knows he's been pushed off the ball in a dangerous position and as he is stumbling he's trying to shield the ball to stop the attack.

Now I'm not going to argue one way or the other about whether its a red card or not, nor about whether Perez was wrong to make that decision. What I will say is I wish the first replay VAR shows a ref was played back in real time so the ref doesn't just see the foul slowed down, but gets some context as to why a player might act like that,  for example was pushed and off balance at the time. 

3 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

We also never pass it passed the nearest teammate, the ball is never switched. If Ricardo wants to get it to Barnes, it ponders through Amartey Soyuncu, maybe back and forward to Tielemans before getting to Barnes. No player was spraying the ball about whereas West Ham were quite happy to hit cross field passes, and pass to the second or third man to add a bit of dynamism to their play.

Tielemans was annonymous to the defenders, marked out of the game and never showing it for and our constand playing out of the back played right into their hands. Amartey did well, but he should not be our player with the most passes at the end of a match, and we should not be using him to dictate the tempo of the game.

We dont pass it quick enough, which is why we end up passing back all the time.

There was an occasions in the first half where Maddison had the ball in their half, he had one of our players make a run in behind, and he had Barnes out wide free to pass too, so he had two forward thinking passing options, but he dallied on the ball for so long, that it was too late to play the pass for our guy making the run in behind, and the passing option to Barnes got blocked off, and so he ended up playing it backwards.

This isnt just a Maddison thing though, its a team thing.  We just dont pass it quickly enough when the passing options are there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

I am not confident, Norwich last time in the EPL took all 6 or 4 points of us, I know we didnt beat them, I think if I remember it was similar, we kept faffing around at the back and they hit us with effective counters.

It was just before Christmas I think, and they were the first team to suss that we would cave in to the high press.

10 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

I think that's part of the reason Perez doesn't go down. He knows he's been pushed off the ball in a dangerous position and as he is stumbling he's trying to shield the ball to stop the attack.

Now I'm not going to argue one way or the other about whether its a red card or not, nor about whether Perez was wrong to make that decision. What I will say is I wish the first replay VAR shows a ref was played back in real time so the ref doesn't just see the foul slowed down, but gets some context as to why a player might act like that,  for example was pushed and off balance at the time. 

the first replay showed was in real time

25 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

I have never understood the idea of everyone been pulled back to defend a corner, it gives no outlet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

I agree totally with you that Perez was knocked off balance, and i dont think showing the ref the replays in slow motion is right either, but even if they had shown him it in real time, he was always going to send him off, because the intent doesnt come into it.

6 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

We dont pass it quick enough, which is why we end up passing back all the time.

There was an occasions in the first half where Maddison had the ball in their half, he had one of our players make a run in behind, and he had Barnes out wide free to pass too, so he had two forward thinking passing options, but he dallied on the ball for so long, that it was too late to play the pass for our guy making the run in behind, and the passing option to Barnes got blocked off, and so he ended up playing it backwards.

This isnt just a Maddison thing though, its a team thing.  We just dont pass it quickly enough when the passing options are there.

I screamed at this point and woke my kids up....and you know what he had about 2 more touches than he needed. It is a maddison thing. He's shit. Simple.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

Yep that's something VAR could learn from the video official in rugby games. They play the replays in slow motion and then real time to add much needed context. 

1 minute ago, Eskay said:

I screamed at this point and woke my kids up....and you know what he had about 2 more touches than he needed. It is a maddison thing. He's shit. Simple.  

He is probably the most guilty for slowing the play down to be fair, but he isn`t on his own, and it`s also about picking the right pass, which tonight in particular we were awful.  We were playing ourselves into trouble for the whole game.

8 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I have never understood the idea of everyone been pulled back to defend a corner, it gives no outlet.

Claudio went through a stage during our title winning season of leaving 2 on the half way line.

It was so refreshing to see, and it took some of their players out of our penalty box from the corner because of it, which made the corners easier to defend.

• Like 1

Why is it that despite delivering arguably the most successful two season spell in our history Brendan frequently exasperates? I think it's because fans will always applaud positive play even when it ends in defeat, but the embarrassing passing between our two central defenders that painfully exemplified the timid, passive approach we adopted from the first whistle tonight, is hard to stomach. Unfortunately, we've seen this pattern repeated too often during Rodgers' tenure. Our club has assembled the most talented young squad in its history but I'm afraid it will be wasted if Rodgers is not prepared to unleash it. He needs to freshen things up in terms of team selection and get us playing on the front foot on Saturday. It's early days and it's easy to over-react, but more of the same negative dross that he served up tonight against a vastly inferior Norwich side, and there really will be cause for concern.

Edited by SixtiesFox

27 minutes ago, Eskay said:

If his name was Le'Maddisuun he would have been shipped off. He has a bad attitude, thinks to much of himself, and fails to perform more often than not. Because he is English, every time he has a half decent match he is lauded as the second coming but he never arrives.

6 minutes ago, SixtiesFox said:

Why is it that despite delivering arguably the most successful two season spell in our history Brendan frequently exasperates? I think it's because fans will always applaud positive play even when it ends in defeat, but the embarrassing passing between our two central defenders that painfully exemplified the timid, passive approach we adopted from the first whistle tonight, is hard to stomach. Unfortunately, we've seen this pattern repeated too often during Rodger's tenure. Our club has assembled the most talented young squad in its history but I'm afraid it will be wasted if Rodgers is not prepared to unleash it. He needs to freshen things up in terms of team selection and get us playing on the front foot on Saturday. It's early days and it's easy to over-react, but more of the same negative dross that he served up tonight against a vastly inferior Norwich side, and there really will be cause for concern.

Brendan is not the only one delivering the current success, the entire backroom team is responsible, and the scouts and DoF have built a brilliant squad. Bredan is fortunate to have this squad, and when we are out and out the better team he can stick to his gameplan and 9 times out of 10 we will win.

Where he falls down, and why he exasperates is because when he is up against it, he doesn't change his tactics or approach to game, and blindly throws us to the lions.

When it works it's great, and due to the recruitment over the past 5 seasons its great more often than not. When it's not working, Brendan seems unable to positively impact the match.

The thing that bothers me is up until there first goal and sending off they certainly didn't look as good as the 3-0 drumming we took last season. It just looked like we had no spine, no want to and I think Johnny Evans bollocking people left, right and centre is a big miss.

The only plus is maybe we'll pull our finger out and attempt to get a right winger.

• Like 1