Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

West Ham United 4-1 Leicester City - Post Match Thread

Guest Chocolate Teapot
11 minutes ago, enmac said:

We had 3 clean sheets coming into this game against Chelsea, Man City and Wolves! 

Ignoring the 4 we conceded against spurrs?

47 minutes ago, Manini said:

Devils advocate - but say we fail to beat Norwich, then lose to Man City - does pressure start to build for the first time? It would be interesting to see how he reacts when his back is against the wall, we haven’t ever, ever had to see him in that situation before whilst he’s been with us. It’s exciting, but I feel like it could be for the wrong reasons this year if the above plays out lol 

Not really thought about it this early, usually we have strong starts to the season under Rodgers so he always has a buffer built for any bad run, but I think for any manager in this league if you have a bad start, you not immune to been at risk.

Teams know we play out from the back. They also know that it's not many years we've been doing it and that we're also not very good at it! 

If teams apply pressure to our back line quick enough when kasper is rolling the ball out then it becomes difficult. 

I'd like us to go for a double pivot for the next few games. Soumare/Ndidi. Stick Tielemans in the middle of them just forward.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bert said:

Not making any excuses but I can’t believe how little is being made of Perez being fouled in the build up to the red. 

Minor fouls arent considered by VAR, thats probably why there is a lack of talk on it.

In the era of VAR players need to think about what they doing, pre VAR perez gets away with it, not now.

24 minutes ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

Barnes aside & arguably Vardy / Ricardo, there’s absolutely no pace in the side is there, nobody who can get away from a man.

Every team seems so much quicker and sharper than us. 

I'm led to believe Daka is no tortoise either  ...

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Matt said:

I don’t get how you can be so negative, so defensive, show little attacking intent, have so much possession yet get slaughtered.

Negative and defensive - sitting back and holding the ball, aimlessly passing side to side between your defensive line.

Show little attacking intent - Refusing to play anything other than in front of your own box, scared to pass forward or go anywhere near the half way line, let alone over it.

61% possession in the first half - it’s what you do with it and we did **** all.

All those things considered I just can get my head around how we got dominated.

****ing pathetic and lessons that still havn’t been learnt after how long? We still keep coming back to these glaring issues.

On top of all that this is the 3rd time in a row West Ham have out-Leicestered (our old style) us, every single time we’ve played into their hands.

West Ham won’t have an easier game all season (Apart from when we play them again maybe).

As for Perez. Get rid please. It means we’ll need to go out and get a replacement but just get rid please. Infact just play KDH instead of Perez. I’m sick of the persistence of him - he’s been given far more time, far more patience and far more consistent starts than Gray ever was.

This is the case with possession based football sometimes.

We saw it plenty of times under Puel, we’ve seen it numerous times under Rodgers.

If we come up against a defensively organised team, we have very little answers and struggle to break them down.

That was the case again tonight, it was the case against West Ham last season too, especially at home.

We can have all the possession we want, but if we have no answers in the final third, then all that possession will get you nowhere.

We have a much better squad than Arsenal nowadays, but our style of football is very much like theirs, especially when they were under Wenger in the latter stages, then Emery.

Against a defensively organised team, it’s pass, pass, pass, then come the final third, we end up being wasteful.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Do people actually think West Ham were really good? They scored some good goals and some decent play at times but were generally very average. It's just that we were abject.

They were shaped very well to block passes through their team and were very effective in counter attack, a very well disciplined and efficient team.  So yes they are really good.  Their record last season against non big 6 teams was similar to ours in the first half of Brendon's first full season with us, I expect them to be top 6 this season.

7 minutes ago, kingfox said:

We saw it plenty of times under Puel, we’ve seen it numerous times under Rodgers.

If we come up against a defensively organised team, we have very little answers and struggle to break them down.

That was the case again tonight, it was the case against West Ham last season too, especially at home.

We can have all the possession we want, but if we have no answers in the final third, then all that possession will get you nowhere.

We have a much better squad than Arsenal nowadays, but our style of football is very much like theirs, especially when they were under Wenger in the latter stages, then Emery.

Against a defensively organised team, it’s pass, pass, pass, then come the final third, we end up being wasteful.

We got no where near the final third tonight. We barely ventured over the half way line.

I’ve been very critical of possession based football, I always have and I see no reason for my opinion to change it’s a dire style, certainly how we try and do it anyway but tonight has to be up there with one the most negative games in recent history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, escape2victory said:

As our main attacking/creative threat, Barnes and Maddison have to do more, really really poor tonight. Rodgers talking about technically not good tonight, taking too many touches, these 2 were the main culprits. 

It’s fine for BR to say too many touches but if there is no movement around them what choice do they have… Harvey is at his best when running at people…. He’s not a touch player…

the frustrating thing for me is always our insistence to go backwards when we receive the ball…..

never is our first thought to go forward and gain yards…it’s always safe.

And as for our play out from the back…or should I say , give it back to the opposition… we are a car crash..

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

They were shaped very well to block passes through their team and were very effective in counter attack, a very well disciplined and efficient team.  So yes they are really good.  Their record last season against non big 6 teams was similar to ours in the first half of Brendon's first full season with us, I expect them to be top 6 this season.

I'm not questioning their general competence as they're a good outfit with a good manager but if they were deemed as really good then I guess I have different standards. They deserved to win but I wouldn't be waxing lyrical like some.

14 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Minor fouls arent considered by VAR, thats probably why there is a lack of talk on it.

In the era of VAR players need to think about what they doing, pre VAR perez gets away with it, not now.

Yes agreed Perez was fouled before his sending off ,

19 minutes ago, kingfox said:

At least when Puel did it he had at least got half of an excuse in that in comparison, he had a poor squad of players to select from. 

2 minutes ago, John rayner said:

No need to panic  or doesn't help when we had to play with a man short ,,we will bounce back from this ,

Agreed. I think we underestimate WH. Fancy our chances more against Man City/Man U at the moment. They've got physical and mental toughness. Could say the same with Liverpool and Chelsea. Stoke were also like this a few years ago. 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

We got no where near the final third tonight. We barely ventured over the half way line.

I’ve been very critical of possession based football, I always have and I see no reason for my opinion to change it’s a dire style, certainly how we try and do it anyway but tonight has to be up there with one the most negative games in recent history.

I agree, it’s a very frustrating watch sometimes.

As I said, we’ve seen it so many times against defensively organised teams, we have no answers.

We piss it around the back, try and get into midfield, only for them to lose the ball in some way.

We make it far too easy for the opposition sometimes, slow build up play allows the opposition to get into a compact shape, then we struggle to break them down.

47 minutes ago, MPH said:

On the bright side, 3 games without Perez will FORCE  Rodgers to play someone else there 

Hopefully Perez doesn't get back in the team. He was atrocious today before being sent off, every move that went through him broke down as he miscontrolled it.

• Haha 1

Load of guff from Rodgers there, praising our mentality which was quite frankly shit, you could see the players heads completely dropped after their third.

Most frustrating thing was throughout the second half, every time Wet Ham had a corner we put everyone in the box, we didn't leave a single player outside of it to break. Predicably, every clearance from a corner went straight to a west ham player (they were like cricketeers fielding) who pinged it back in or had a shot. Totally amateur.

Edited by jim5000