Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

West Ham United 4-1 Leicester City - Post Match Thread

50 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Let's blame Amartey, for a goal we conceded, when the game was dead.

Amartey was our best player in the back 4 tonight.

The guy comes in, tries his best, and never lets us down.

He was surrounded by utter crap all around him tonight, and he, from what I saw, had a bit of character about him to actually try and progress us with the ball when we were 2-0 down, whilst Ndid/Tielemans/Maddison stood around watching. 

Fair enough - didn’t think he should be clear of fault for a dreadful defensive showing 

For me this game was an experiment to see if we've progressed. Last season I think west ham were the only team to do the double over us, scoring  3 each time, in the home game I don't think we even had a shot on target in 90 mins. But both games we just knocked it around and they just pounced on mistakes and it was one goal after another. They don't play particularly attractive football but it works.

For the 3rd time in a row we failed, we haven't learned, forget the sending off, we were creating very little, they pressed very well as soon as we came forward, but when they did they had about 50 clear yards to run into, we invited crosses into the box and there was no intent to stop them playing or creating. The team selection was possibly the best option but as others have said we are too lightweight, we just seem to think that as long as we have lots of possession that's the main goal, but we didn't create anything.

All in all it was a totally inept performance, think they were rattled by the fans too, for supposedly how good we are we were all over the place! We've said it before when we're good were amazing but when we're bad we are unbelievable shocking. I don't know what's worse, losing 4 games in a row 1-0 under puel or occasionally getting thumped by some average team, that was just embarrassing, we finished 5th last season and hold 2 of the domestic trophies, makes you wonder how, at least go down with a fight!

So for me we failed the experiment and have not progressed since last season. We need to start looking at the opposition were facing and what they do best, because just playing your own game and having 60%+ possession will not win you games!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

I have never understood the idea of everyone been pulled back to defend a corner, it gives no outlet.

The reason why we pull everybody at corners ,is because we couldn't defend corners last season  more players in the box the more likely we can defend them ,imo 

2 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Dan wasn't a problem for us last night- we was actually pretty solid.

I’ve defended him on plenty of occasions but you don’t be part of a four goal conceding defence and get described as solid. He let an unchallenged Antonio head straight at Schmeichel just after half time 

• Like 1

I am no less calm this morning than I was last evening.

Before their goal and the red card West ham were bossing it - we were struggling to get the ball thru midfield.  West ham are a strong team - Youri and ndidid were never going to be enough. Frankly hamza would have been a better choice than either ayoze or Maddison.

Neither of these two players has put in the gym work to have the upper body strength.  I doubt ayoze is every going  be good enough - Maddison has a choice to make... is he prepared to put he work in? I don't understand what Rodgers was hoping for.

Rodgers thought we were not second best in the opening part of the game - he needs to watch it back. 

If we play like this we will be no where near to the top 6.  Now is the time for Rodgers to recalibrate his views .

I was shocked how poor we played.

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 3

I think it's time that BR realises some players shouldn't be guaranteed a place in the team because they were once amazing. He needs a major switch up. Madders, Pérez even Vardy have been riding the wave for far too long. Time to give them a kick up the arse. Barnes is still not upto speed. Unfortunately Thomas is still a bit wet behind the ears but we don't have much of a choice until maybe Timmy is fit. Bring in Daka, Soumare, Nacho possibly even Praet 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I am no less calm this morning than I was last evening.

before their goal and the red card West hams were bossing it - we were struggling to get the ball thru midfield.  West ham are a strong team - Youri and ndidid were never going to be enough. Frankly hamza would have been a better choice than either ayoze or Maddison.

neither of these two players has put in the gym work to have the upper body strength.  I doubt ayoze is every going  be good enough - Maddison has a choice to make... is he prepared to putt he work in? I don't understand what Rodger was hoping for.

Rodger though we were not second best in the opening part of the game - he needs to watch it back. 

If we play liek this we will be no where near to the top 6.  Now is the time for Rodgers to recalibrate his views .

I was shocked how poor we played.

You can't really judge what BR thought from an interview. What they say in the media is often very different to what they actually think. He's hardly gonna say... "ffs madders and Pérez are so shite and wtf was Cags doing!?" on sky sports is he? 

8 minutes ago, John rayner said:

The reason why we pull everybody at corners ,is because we couldn't defend corners last season  more players in the box the more likely we can defend them ,imo 

Yes, much easier to leave 3 men up on the half way line when you have Huth and Morgan there to win the first ball and the threat of Mahrez and 15/16 Vardy on the counter.

We pack the box to make it difficult for the opposition to score from the first phase. Generally speaking we’re not very good at it. But taking players out of there, particularly against more physically imposing sides (which is pretty much every side) is not going to make things better.

People seem to want to leave a man on each post and have 2 on the halfway line for a counter attack. That’s just not practical as it doesn’t leave enough men to defend the first ball. You can basically afford a maximum of 2 men on either the posts or halfway and even that would be considered a risk by a lot of managers.

1 minute ago, hejammy said:

You can't really judge what BR thought from an interview. What they say in the media is often very different to what they actually think. He's hardly gonna say... "ffs madders and Pérez are so shite and wtf was Cags doing!?" on sky sports is he? 

so true - yet he puts ayoze on the team sheet every week.  I was amazed at out starting 11.  

Maddison has a while not playing last season - but seeming not encouraged to build up his strength.

You are right we have to judge Rodgers by his actions,,,  that teams was always going to struggle last night. I know it, you know it. bredan?

I think the frustrating thing is that whenever we lose it’s not because of a bit of misfortune or the other team just edging it, it’s because we’re totally awful and totally deserve to lose. I can’t remember the last time we lost and didn’t deserve it. 

Edited by Ian Nacho
  • Like 1

I missed the game, though it sounds like the performance was similar to my journey home from Norfolk rubbish.

Though it is easy to be to not be as angry when not seeing the game. It seems to me that the issue is that we have our defence out injured and we were down to 10 men and that is why we were beaten.

all this talk about a right winger, that hasn’t been why we haven’t got into the top 4 in the last 2 seasons, poor defensive displays have been. we may need another CB as it doesn’t sound like evans will be back anytime soon.

Edited by teblin

6 hours ago, lee7 said:

We enjoyed lots of possession in the first half but we did little with it. Watching Amartey and Soyuncu pass the ball side to side without attempting to pass into midfield had me pulling my hair out. It shows just how much we miss a confident ball playing centre half like Evans or Fofana who are willing to attempt risky passes. 

Sorry, but there was no "enjoyment" in that possession.  Cags and Armartey tapping the ball sideways or backwards to each other time after time was embarrassing, and showed total lack of ambition.  The players seemed to have gone onto the with the attitude of, "I wonder how many they'll beat us by this time." Call me plastic, but that's the first time ever I've not stayed watching to the very end  of a televised match.  Disappointed beyond words.

Edited by PaulW

Quite a few overreactions on here.

Yes we played badly and yes BR should have either played a different system from the start or made an early adjustment but you live and learn.

A poor touch from Vardy for the 1st, Perez’s “tackle” (after being fouled I should add), soyuncus brain fart and then Antonio bullying us for the 3rd and 4th. Key moments in the game that cost us. 

We simply need to forget this one and go again on Saturday. Good opportunity to bounce back.

We need to hope vestergaard and Bertrand are back with Evans not far behind. Need a right winger (got a feeling somethings in the offing) and need to give Daka a start.

Not the end of the world everyone 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TWUKO said:

For me this game was an experiment to see if we've progressed. Last season I think west ham were the only team to do the double over us, scoring  3 each time, in the home game I don't think we even had a shot on target in 90 mins. But both games we just knocked it around and they just pounced on mistakes and it was one goal after another. They don't play particularly attractive football but it works.

For the 3rd time in a row we failed, we haven't learned, forget the sending off, we were creating very little, they pressed very well as soon as we came forward, but when they did they had about 50 clear yards to run into, we invited crosses into the box and there was no intent to stop them playing or creating. The team selection was possibly the best option but as others have said we are too lightweight, we just seem to think that as long as we have lots of possession that's the main goal, but we didn't create anything.

All in all it was a totally inept performance, think they were rattled by the fans too, for supposedly how good we are we were all over the place! We've said it before when we're good were amazing but when we're bad we are unbelievable shocking. I don't know what's worse, losing 4 games in a row 1-0 under puel or occasionally getting thumped by some average team, that was just embarrassing, we finished 5th last season and hold 2 of the domestic trophies, makes you wonder how, at least go down with a fight!

So for me we failed the experiment and have not progressed since last season. We need to start looking at the opposition were facing and what they do best, because just playing your own game and having 60%+ possession will not win you games!!!

We tried to do exactly what failed against them last season. That’s what I find baffling, it’s clear that West Ham are our Kryponite. Physically strong but also a lot of quality, and patient enough to let us just make mistakes.

We needed to do something different. But he went with the same old. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

The reason we kept passing it sidewards across the back four was because West Ham withdrew their forwards letting us have the time and space to do so….at the same time their forwards became midfielders meaning every time Wilf, Youri or Maddison got the ball they were hit by tackle after tackle.

It doesn’t help Vardy giving the ball away for the first, Cags the second or Perez getting sent off…none of which can be laid at the Managers door,.bad day at the office….we do write the boys off a little easy,,,it was always a tough game, without 80% of the team having an off day…..we’ll be back Saturday

I expect the reason they were passing it between each other is they have been told to not make passes that risk losing possession, and I expect they may have also been told to not drive it forward at feet either as again that opens a hole up at the back.

Just to clarify though, are you saying you think the manager is blameless for the defeat? 

Edited by Chrysalis

2 hours ago, jmono84 said:

It was almost a carbon copy for me.

We look to control the game and bang out of no where because of a poor touch of a simple direct pass we’re behind.

We concede so easily against doggo teams like west ham and I don’t blame the CB’s at the back either. What was their options to pass to? Soyuncu made a great pass to Vardys feet getting past 2 of their lines and he inexplicably lays it off to Rice!

Vardy does not suit in games like this, Nacho gets that ball and turns and we’re away. We had no focal point up front whatsoever!

BR got it completely wrong tonight with his team selection yet again. I don’t know what the dumb shit sees?

West Ham ain’t doggo. Think that was the first thing established last night. 

• Haha 1

Guest bennytwohats
13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We tried to do exactly what failed against them last season. That’s what I find baffling, it’s clear that West Ham are our Kryponite. Physically strong but also a lot of quality, and patient enough to let us just make mistakes.

We needed to do something different. But he went with the same old. 

That’s my biggest frustration, alongside his post match interview which didn’t offer any hint that he’d learnt from it. Hard to know what’s a media front and what he’ll think watching it back but it felt a bit like Groundhog Day.

51 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

The reason we kept passing it sidewards across the back four was because West Ham withdrew their forwards letting us have the time and space to do so….at the same time their forwards became midfielders meaning every time Wilf, Youri or Maddison got the ball they were hit by tackle after tackle.

It doesn’t help Vardy giving the ball away for the first, Cags the second or Perez getting sent off…none of which can be laid at the Managers door,.bad day at the office….we do write the boys off a little easy,,,it was always a tough game, without 80% of the team having an off day…..we’ll be back Saturday

And last night you could see why he’s got Vesty in. As he has that ability to pass through a press into midfield. He is probably exactly what we needed last night, Sod’s law he wasn’t available…..