Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

West Ham United 4-1 Leicester City - Post Match Thread

1 hour ago, TWUKO said:

For me this game was an experiment to see if we've progressed. Last season I think west ham were the only team to do the double over us, scoring  3 each time, in the home game I don't think we even had a shot on target in 90 mins. But both games we just knocked it around and they just pounced on mistakes and it was one goal after another. They don't play particularly attractive football but it works.

For the 3rd time in a row we failed, we haven't learned, forget the sending off, we were creating very little, they pressed very well as soon as we came forward, but when they did they had about 50 clear yards to run into, we invited crosses into the box and there was no intent to stop them playing or creating. The team selection was possibly the best option but as others have said we are too lightweight, we just seem to think that as long as we have lots of possession that's the main goal, but we didn't create anything.

All in all it was a totally inept performance, think they were rattled by the fans too, for supposedly how good we are we were all over the place! We've said it before when we're good were amazing but when we're bad we are unbelievable shocking. I don't know what's worse, losing 4 games in a row 1-0 under puel or occasionally getting thumped by some average team, that was just embarrassing, we finished 5th last season and hold 2 of the domestic trophies, makes you wonder how, at least go down with a fight!

So for me we failed the experiment and have not progressed since last season. We need to start looking at the opposition were facing and what they do best, because just playing your own game and having 60%+ possession will not win you games!!!

I get what you’re saying but the fact that West Ham were the only team to have done the double over means that we got it right against most teams. Not learning how to beat West Ham means that there is a blueprint on how to beat us for anyone that wants it:

- be physical

- press in the right areas

- go direct if you’ve got the right striker for it

we can’t handle that sort of game. 

• Like 1

WOW! What a miss-match!

BIG, strong WestHam players (who knew what they were doing) brushing aside weedy SMALL Leicester players (who had not the foggiest idea what to do). 

Could've (should've?) been 6.

Trouble is, WestHam have now given the other 18 teams the blueprint as to how to beat us - and beat us easily.

I wasn't able to watch the game so I think it would best if I just pretended it never happened, hide behind the red card and move on. 

It's one defeat but I am concerned about how this season might go. I fear we may be found out a bit and struggle to get the results. Injuries don't help either. 

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

West Ham ain’t doggo. Think that was the first thing established last night. 

You’re right, they're not doggo, however people, media and pundits were raving about how good West Ham were last night, as good as they were and infact I actually question if they were that good last night, they didn’t have to be, we were simply that incredibly poor.

Passing exclusively between our centre backs, or if we wanted to be adventurous perhaps include Thomas in that aswell. Rarely venturing forward, getting nose bleeds if we went anywhere near the half way line, let alone over it. Toothless and scared.

Playing silly, short passes, needlessly, when only one thing was going to happen - mistakes, which West Ham pounced on.

You didn’t need to be good to beat us last night.

60% possession in the first half last night. Magnificent :appl:

:yawn: Do me a favour.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, adam95581 said:

I get what you’re saying but the fact that West Ham were the only team to have done the double over means that we got it right against most teams. Not learning how to beat West Ham means that there is a blueprint on how to beat us for anyone that wants it:

- be physical

- press in the right areas

- go direct if you’ve got the right striker for it

we can’t handle that sort of game

Especially when we're fielding our fifth choice centre back and fourth choice left back, whilst playing with 10 men for 60 minutes.......

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Especially when we're fielding our fifth choice centre back and fourth choice left back, whilst playing with 10 men for 60 minutes.......

You're not allowed to be reasonable on here.

Next you'll argue our first and second choice left backs were injured or unavailable too.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

I rememver Luka Modric saying something along the lines of whenever a team gets physical the way he used to combat it was by making the tempo of passing so high that the opposition couldn't keep up. The reason why these physical teams always seem to have our number is to put it simply we just do not pass the ball fast enough. We have had this problem for years now and I have no idea why it is never addressed. 

Yeah thats how the top teams deal with it, typically when they have the ball at the back, they will get it in the other half with urgency, and only them start the passing, and if they get closed up or are heavily marked it will be rapid one touch pass to play around it, it requires very skillfull and highly confident players.

I remember our 2-0 win against Liverpool in the title season, we had a good period of this rapid passing when Mahrez, Shinji, Kante were surrounded by 4 or 5 of their players, and they just did a bunch of rapid one touch passing to get round them was amazing to watch, it led to a shot on goal which would have been awesome if it went in.

We have also done it a few times under Pearson even in the Championship.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

A bit of disrespect to West Ham in this thread, classing them as “Doggo” or “Average” when they finished 6th last season is a bit silly.

I’m not surprised pundits were raving about their performance last night, yes we were poor, but they made us play poor, by playing in a highly efficient and effective manner.

They bossed us in every single area last night, before the match we knew what to expect in terms of physicality, yet just like last season, certain players pissed over us, Antonio, Soucek & Rice dominated the physical battles, while just like in the home game last season, we made it extremely easy for Ogbonna to defend.

Moyes has got this West Ham team playing very similar to his Everton one. On paper I don’t think their defence is particularly great; however Moyes sets them up in a very compact way, where some teams find it hard to break them down, while in attacking areas they can mix it up by either bullying you with Antonio, or play quick swift attacking football through Benrahma, Fornals & Bowen.

I hope their lack of depth will cost them in the Premier League, but if they somehow continue to deliver in the manner they are doing, I can see them finishing above us this season. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

I rememver Luka Modric saying something along the lines of whenever a team gets physical the way he used to combat it was by making the tempo of passing so high that the opposition couldn't keep up. The reason why these physical teams always seem to have our number is to put it simply we just do not pass the ball fast enough. We have had this problem for years now and I have no idea why it is never addressed. 

THIS! It's pretty clear BR didn't learn from previous defeats at WH and change how we play. I'd say Moyes did a tactical job on Brendan but in truth it was no different to last season, BR just didn't adjust his plan. So if he's married to this style (or at least believes in it totally, which is no bad thing) no matter who we play he has to get the team to move the ball faster and create more movement. They need to be brave because my bet is in training they do move the ball faster and create more movement but the team didn't implement it in the match when it counted with the pressure on. And that strikes me as pretty key. One shot on goal just isn't acceptable and clearly reveals something serious needs working on. 

The thing that bugged me is everybody around me could see what was happening. Immediately as they set up AT THEIR PLACE it was on the cards what was about to happen. 

Can't say I'm upset that Perez is now out for a few games. I don't really blame him for the red card tbh, could have gone either way and it wasn't malicious but my enthusiasm for him has well and truly waned. And my feelings for Maddison are sliding in the same direction. I genuinely wonder if we'd be better benching him and pushing Tilly slightly forward into that 10 role so we can play two strikes (Daka/Vardy, Nacho/Vardy or Daka/Nacho). 

Oh well we move on. The only positive was we got out of that at just 4-1 because they were after more. 

47 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

WOW! What a miss-match!

BIG, strong WestHam players (who knew what they were doing) brushing aside weedy SMALL Leicester players (who had not the foggiest idea what to do). 

Could've (should've?) been 6.

Trouble is, WestHam have now given the other 18 teams the blueprint as to how to beat us - and beat us easily.

They gave that blueprint out twice last season - worked for other teams didn't it ....

• Like 1

I don't think Kasper was blameless in last night's defeat. That pass to Perez wasn't on, nor were several others. When your keeper's distribution is ropey, it makes the defenders nervous. Ok, he made some good saves to keep the score down, but his distribution on the whole was garbage. 

• Like 1

This is still only the 2nd competitive game of the season, after a disrupted summer with many players away, so we're still getting up to full match fitness... 

2 points of comparison to think of:

Man City last year started slowly and had their own inept hammering (against us). They didn't panic, just slowly went about their business and before anyone knew it, they were out of sight. 

The year we won the title, we had a few new signings: Fuchs, Simpson, Kante. They didn't start the first game or 2, but came in as the team evolved. I can't wait to see Daka getting going and Soumere will be a big player for us for years, but Rogers is going with the same first 11 as last year for now, and will filter them in over the next few games. 

Not excusing the performance last night, but it was away to a team that finished a point or 2 below us last year in their first full house, and before that, we won our home pre-season friendly, the Community Shield and our opening Premier League match, so seeing comments saying people are fed up with what they are watching needs some perspective. 

20 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Movement, when things aren’t going well our movement is dreadful. 

Maddison should be that player who pops up all over the pitch keeping the ball moving. To be honest I think Praet is the best player we have at recycling the ball, when he plays in that role he keeps it moving all of the time.

Just watch Man City and Liverpool, they’re so quick all over the park, no one stands still, when VVD is on the ball someone will drop in for the pass, then another player will fill that space left by the player dropping in, which then creates space for one of the attacking players, VVD plays a quick on two and them sprays a ball out to Salah, before you know it they’re in behind with men over and the opposition out of position.

The season we won the league we had an excellent method, where we won the ball at the back drinky moved deep to receive it 1-2 with Kante and then he either had the option to spray it to Mahrez, or MA, or give it to Kante to run into the space created by DD drop. 

we don’t have that movement, it’s been a bug bare of mine for a while, we can do it, but when we’re off the pace we’re really static and easy to defend against because we don’t recycle the ball quick enough. 

This is spot on. Bizarre how people think the two CDs were passing to each other because they'd been told to (or in Amartey's case because he's scared to - which given he was the only one passing it forwards says something pretty unpleasant about Cags). 

Lack of movement (to the point where the word 'hiding' starts getting mentioned) meant passes out were all high tariff, slide-rule stuff, and when they did make them our midfield inevitably miscontrolled them (and not always under pressure)

Can't see how some go straight to the defence to aportion the blame when in midfield Perez was actually looking the best of them til he got sent off. And to be clear, he was looking pretty shit

Ndidi was a shadow of the player he can be, our fans should have been shouting "he's behind you" every time an apparently bonged up Youri had the ball and it feels more and more like Maddison would be better off coming out in skateboarding gear 

• Like 1

I was at the game and it was clear from the off that we were going to be too slow and passive. 

Eight of this team played two and a half years ago when we won 4-1 and Perez scored two.

The fact of the matter is that West Ham have moved on considerably and of course now have a real threat to front in Antonio. We have changed our style of play which can be effective, but if it goes wrong, it really goes wrong. 

Last night every goal was comic defending. Could have been worse but for a couple of great saves. 

We were poor, got what we deserved. As long as BR learns from this and quickly, it might be the kick up the backside the team needs. I know we are carrying injuries, but last night I really couldn’t see what the game plan was. 

Having slept on it, it's crazy to think how far we have come the fact that we are travelling to a team like West Ham and expecting a result.  We are not Man City or Liverpool, we are going to lose our fair share of games. 

What I find really hard to take is the way we lose these games. Whether it's the way BR set us up or a load of individual errors, we never looked like winning from minute one. Weak in defence, weak in midfield and anonymous up front. We literally rolled over and to be quite frank, it got embarrassing. Perez should be ashamed of himself. When we needed to stand up and be counted, he gets himself sent off for a ridiculous challenge. Says an awful lot about his mentality.

• Like 1