Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NaijaFox

Man City (H) Pre-Match Thread (Sept. 11, 3pm)

On 07/09/2021 at 17:30, Ashley said:

Have a feeling Jonny, Vestegaard and Ricky P play 👀

On 07/09/2021 at 18:47, st albans fox said:

How can jonny be fit to play in a game of this intensity ?

id also question others suggestion that bouba is given a start - that’s hardly a gentle introduction to the prem !  Brendan has already said he doesn’t want to throw him in at the deep end ……

Let's win this ****er now. 

I think the fact Evans/Vestegaard may be in the squad, worries me more than losing this game.

Brendan, don't rush them back for a game we would most likely lose with a fully fit squad.

Give them a bit more training, then start one against Napoli.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

I think the fact Evans/Vestegaard may be in the squad, worries me more than losing this game.

Brendan, don't rush them back for a game we would most likely lose with a fully fit squad.

Give them a bit more training, then start one against Napoli.

Surely they don't both start, in fact even when fully fit I'm not sure I want both starting. They don't strike me as defenders that should play together even I a back 3, which I don't want to see us go anywhere near this season either, we don't have the players for it.

• Like 1

Merc Version

Evans, Vestergaard, Ricardo, Bertrand – Leicester City injury update ahead of Manchester City

It's positive news on the injury front for Leicester City as they prepare to welcome reigning Premier League champions Manchester City to the King Power Stadium

By

Jordan Blackwell

14:47, 9 SEP 2021

Jonny Evans and Jannik Vestergaard are pushing for their first starts of the season after coming through a training match last week.

Evans has been on the sidelines with a foot problem since May, while Vestergaard overstretched his knee in his first full week at City, but both will now be assessed to see if they are available for this weekend’s clash with Premier League champions Manchester City.

The good news does not end there, with Ryan Bertrand declared available, the left-back a contender for his first Premier League start with City, while Ricardo Pereira has returned to training after his hamstring tweak just 10 minutes into the club’s last outing, a win at Norwich a fortnight ago.

“We have most of our players back available now, although some are still short of fitness.” manager Brendan Rodgers said at his press conference on Thursday afternoon. “JJ (James Justin) and Wesley Fofana are the only two out.

“Ryan Bertrand will be back and available. Evans and Vestergaard are progressing very well. We’ve had a good international break in terms of players getting fitness. Hopefully all those players will be available.

“(Ricardo) trained today and he came through a session and looked very good.”

He added, on Evans and Vestergaard: “That’s what we have to assess in this final 24 hours (if they can start). We had a training game last week that both of them played in. They came through that.

“They’re not going to be 100 per cent. We only have three subs so we need to be sure they’re going to last. They will be training more over the next couple of weeks.”

City will not have Belgian internationals Timothy Castagne and Youri Tielemans back into training until Friday, the day before the game, but Rodgers has said none of his players who represented their country have picked up knocks.

Interesting choices for Brendan - especially if only one of Vestergaard and Evans are fit to play. 

Do we play one of Castagne or Bertrand in the left or right CB position in a 3? 

If we play four does Amartey or Soyuncu drop out? On form Caglar doesn’t play. 

If both Evans and Vestergaard are fit enough do we risk them both? 

I suspect BR will play both CS and DA either side of one of Vestergaard or Evans. Bertrand will probably replace Thomas on the left and Castagne may replace Ricky P on the right. 

None of this is a given, though, and the team selection will be quite enlightening.  

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Surely they don't both start, in fact even when fully fit I'm not sure I want both starting. They don't strike me as defenders that should play together even I a back 3, which I don't want to see us go anywhere near this season either, we don't have the players for it.

Really?

The squad screams 352/343 to me.

Sure, we lack a proper left wing back...But we lack a proper right winger for 433 too.

I do agree though, that I wouldn't necessarily want both Evans+Vestegaard in a back 3, but Vestegaard did/does play as a left CB in a 3 for Denmark.

But I do think with a 3 CB system, you could play a Soumare instead of an Ndidi, and be more progressive with the ball.

1 hour ago, turlo said:

I can't believe they didn't give a match report on the training game! Arsenal gives match reports on training games!

(Serious question, though: Wasn't Evans with the Northern Ireland squad last week?)

Just now, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I can't believe they didn't give a match report on the training game! Arsenal gives match reports on training games!

(Serious question, though: Wasn't Evans with the Northern Ireland squad last week?)

They named him in the squad but then a few days later the manager said he wouldn't be traveling due to injury

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, turlo said:

they will work something out and both will play

image.thumb.png.62df1f9d60d9dec78c8ff8830050f6e6.png

I am not especially worried about Gabriel Jesus and Ederson -- just don't think they will make or break the game. However, I do wonder if FIFA fears a precedent. One of the underlying issues surrounding things such as the European Super League is the ability of clubs to tell national federations to jump in a lake. With their every two year World Cup plan, they might not want to set a precedent.

13 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I am not especially worried about Gabriel Jesus and Ederson -- just don't think they will make or break the game. However, I do wonder if FIFA fears a precedent. One of the underlying issues surrounding things such as the European Super League is the ability of clubs to tell national federations to jump in a lake. With their every two year World Cup plan, they might not want to set a precedent.

Given they used the ‘you’re not going to play for your countries if you’re at a super league club’ narrative, I can see them protecting their precious international football at all costs. They’ll act based on that.

12 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Have a check how many times Jesus has scored against us in the prem - 5 games !

and if you can’t see the difference between ederson and Carson ref the way Man City play ………….

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Arsenal will probably sell highlight packages to their fans as well!

I was wondering if we would a play behind closed door friendly during the international break like quite a few other clubs did. I'm assuming ours was an inter squad 11 v 11 using u23's as well rather than bringing in a local team to play.