Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NaijaFox

Man City (H) Pre-Match Thread (Sept. 11, 3pm)

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Why they want accept your vaccine card as proof seems mad. Why dish them out in the first place? 

Very easy to fake, so not great as proof unless the stewards were going to cross-reference names and batch numbers/dates to make sure they were legit. I believe they were a quick solution that allowed people to keep track of their own vaccinations before they had a public user-facing system ready to go.

The vaccine 'passport' has a QR code to be scanned and links to the backend register with vaccination details, so is in theory more secure and far easier to process - it shouldn't be too much different from just scanning your season ticket.

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I don't get why so many people are asking for Maddison out. Yeah, he's not started this season as well as he could have, but he's really not been that bad and we all know what he's got in the locker. He's a victim of his own talent at times with our fans. 

Chicken and egg really. He needs to play to hit form but playing him won’t necessarily see him hit form. 

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I don't get why so many people are asking for Maddison out. Yeah, he's not started this season as well as he could have, but he's really not been that bad and we all know what he's got in the locker. He's a victim of his own talent at times with our fans. 

Because he's been a passenger in every game we've played this season.

He has indisputable talent, and on his day is a proven match winner. But he's currently out of form and the rest of the team are carrying him. We've spent a lot of money improving the squad, so why not put players who are in form into the team instead? Maddison will come good, but we've got a league winning Soumare on the bench and KDH who was the best performing player on the beep test (IE the fittest player in the squad). What about Iheanacho? He's made a huge difference in every game he's come on in, and scored twice midweek. Nacho was our top scorer last season and is in form, he should be in the team ahead of him as it stands.

All players have up and downs. Vardy has had many runs of poor form in his time here, including being dropped for a while post title win. This is sport at the elite level and a few % of your best gets punished. This applies to every player in our squad this season - no player should be untouchable.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

My reasons are he slows us down far too much and when he does he takes away from our ability to counter attack. He’s also horribly out of form too, and I think his relationship with Brendan isn’t the best this his relationship with the club at the moment isn’t great either. 

At this moment in time starting Maddison is more of a detriment to us. He’s got to seriously turn around his form to have an impact on Saturday, I’m happy to eat my words but I can’t see it. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Nothing will change

Subs after we are 3 down after 65 mins.

BR put the tit into substitution.

....you wonder if it is a way of managing players, that if everything is going wrong he gives them the opportunity to redeem themselves!!!

Half way into the First half you are screaming for him to change it up, as it is clear, what ever plan he came in with, is not working but nothing happens. You can see the players gesticulating to the touchline and they are obviously looking for answers but now they are getting frustrated. Still no change of personnel or change of shape.

This I suspect is something he feels is essential to his way of managing the game and nothing, absolutely nothing it seems, can detract him from steering the course, even if there is a potentially embarrassingly large, score line ahead of him.

Edited by sacreblueits442

7 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Chicken and egg really. He needs to play to hit form but playing him won’t necessarily see him hit form. 

He can also prove his worth in training. In early 2019, Iheanacho missed 5 match day squads in a row, including our 9-0 win against Southampton. But in training he kept working hard and applying himself. Eventually he got given a chance as a sub against Everton where he played out of his mind and scored the winner. Brendan himself said that Nacho didn't get disgruntled or upset and kept proving himself behind closed doors. He did it again last season when his goals saved our season.

Now we've got a deep squad, there should be competition for places. If you aren't performing, a player who is should play instead. This is why Man City have like 7 different wingers.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

For me, it's because we have other genuine options sitting on the bench. 

Whilst Maddison underperforms game after game, we have KDH and Soumare sitting getting splinters who could offer the option of a second #8. Or Daka and Nacho who could give us a partner for Vardy.

I like Maddison but it's undeniable that he is afforded way more opportunities than some others in the squad. 

• Like 3

I never expect us to get a result to get a result against Man City but over the last few years we've done it.

But we're short defensively this weekend. Will either Evans and Vestergaard be played? If you're going to drop one of Amartey/Soyuncu right now... incredibly it has to be Cags.

Probably won't make any difference anyway. 0-3 Man City

Edited by Haywood_6

After three trips to Wembley and a trip to Norwich, this is my first game back at the KP since the 4-0 against Villa. Looking forward to returning, only to wonder why I got excited when we are 2-0 down at HT having had 0 shots!

I think we can make Man City work but they will manage a win. Going for Leicester City 1-2 Man City.

Would love to see Iheanacho start because he has more than earned his place.

36 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Because he's been a passenger in every game we've played this season.

He has indisputable talent, and on his day is a proven match winner. But he's currently out of form and the rest of the team are carrying him. We've spent a lot of money improving the squad, so why not put players who are in form into the team instead? Maddison will come good, but we've got a league winning Soumare on the bench and KDH who was the best performing player on the beep test (IE the fittest player in the squad). What about Iheanacho? He's made a huge difference in every game he's come on in, and scored twice midweek. Nacho was our top scorer last season and is in form, he should be in the team ahead of him as it stands.

All players have up and downs. Vardy has had many runs of poor form in his time here, including being dropped for a while post title win. This is sport at the elite level and a few % of your best gets punished. This applies to every player in our squad this season - no player should be untouchable.

Wow, wasn't expecting such a vehement answer from you but as you are generally very balanced I now feel more confident in my own views.

(And just to add, ****ing show pony, cov bastard, covid willy puller, etc etc just to give it more balance and less emotion 🤣)

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Scotch said:

For me, it's because we have other genuine options sitting on the bench. 

Whilst Maddison underperforms game after game, we have KDH and Soumare sitting getting splinters who could offer the option of a second #8. Or Daka and Nacho who could give us a partner for Vardy.

I like Maddison but it's undeniable that he is afforded way more opportunities than some others in the squad. 

For me, it's all of the above plus @StriderHiryu's post. But from a business perspective, he is our most saleable and so much like chilwell, continuing to play him, despite the poor form, somehow holds his transfer value for our next big Sale.

I genuinely believe this btw.

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Wow, wasn't expecting such a vehement answer from you but as you are generally very balanced I now feel more confident in my own views.

(And just to add, ****ing show pony, cov bastard, covid willy puller, etc etc just to give it more balance and less emotion 🤣)

I would say is that I am not in the "we should have sold James Maddison" camp. Some people are, but for me he is a better player for us than Harry Maguire and Ben Chilwell were. He's inconsistent and has had injury problems, but I genuinely think if he did manage a whole season without injury he would be thought of in the same light as Tielemans.

But this is simply an issue of form. It happens to everyone, even the very best. When we had a shallow squad and players who aren't of the same quality than I understand not making a change, but with the investment made to our squad that simply isn't the case anymore. 

Soyuncu is another player who is out of form and lacking confidence. In his case though, if Fofana, Evans and Vestergaard are all injured then we don't really have a choice. But given my feelings on form, if Evans or Vestergaard were back, it should be Soyuncu dropped and not Amartey, who has been one of our most in-form players. 

We've got a European game this week so Maddison probably only plays one game anyway. For me he'd be better against Napoli against whom we will have more of the ball than against Man City. I'd put Soumare or KDH in to try and crowd out the middle of the park. A few seasons ago Puel played Mendy, Ndidi and Choudhury against Man City and won the game. We probably don't have 3 fit CBs to play a 5 at the back system, so that would be my suggestion (433 / 451). But maybe we could put Castagne as the third CB instead? People don't like him there, but remember that against Man City they don't even play a traditional striker, so we need players that can track their drifting forwards. 

In summary, against Man City IMO Maddison should come off the bench and / or be saved for the Napoli game based on his recent form.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think a midfield 4 of Ndidi, Soumare, KDH and Tielemans would be a real problem for them to deal break down and then keep track of on the counter with Vardy one of Iheanacho/Daka/Barnes. That would be my team with the back 4 of Bertrand, Soyuncu, Evans and Ricardo

Agreed.

Maddison on the bench please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

If Man City don't play a traditional striker, why on earth do people think 5 at the back is the way to go here?

Because our back fives are/can be very fluid and lead to overloads in certain areas. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, pmcla26 said:

A lot of Man City's game is about overloads in the wide area - look at when Chilwell got destroyed by Mahrez and KDB at the Etihad. I like the idea of playing those 4 or a diamond but we need some width in midfield to help our full backs out.

Wing backs offer very little extra width than the diamond, it's simply an extra midfielder instead of a centre half and given the lack of fitness and form to our defenders I'd most certainly go with a stronger midfield.