Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NaijaFox

Man City (H) Pre-Match Thread (Sept. 11, 3pm)

14 hours ago, Koke said:

I honestly would rest some key players for this. Napoli 5 days later is far more important. 

No way.

Premier league is bread and butter.

We get a good nailing by these lot it could really affect our players heads.

We might not have an option anyway to rest players the way our injury list is looking.

Anymore I juries and we will need big Wes back!

• Like 2

Seems like it doesn’t take much to get in our players heads. Couple of dodgy results and they wobble dramatically. Unless there is a sea change in fitness, form and approach Man City will spank 4 past us at a canter. 

Any kind of result against this lot would be incredible to be honest. Head says nailed on loss, heart says we can get something, but then I’ve been a Fox for decades now and my usual pessimism is peppered with irrational bouts of optimism. 

43 minutes ago, Raj said:

No way.

Premier league is bread and butter.

We get a good nailing by these lot it could really affect our players heads.

We might not have an option anyway to rest players the way our injury list is looking.

Anymore I juries and we will need big Wes back!

This. There's a reason why it takes a big squad to do well in Europe, usually, and we're not there yet...  If only LCFC had the squad I had in FM, when I won everything :P :D 

Kasper             

Castange Amartey  Soyuncu  Bertrand

Nididi

Youri                  Soumare

KDH       

Nacho         

Vardy

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Haywood_6 said:

Some people are forgetting we just beat these in the community shield a few weeks ago. 

I do think this will be a different story though. A draw would be a fantastic achievement.

Well we beat their reserves.;)

• Haha 1

Man City:

Schmeichel

Vestergaard

Evans (Amartey)

Soyuncu

Ricardo (Castagne)

ndidi

tielemans

KDH

Bertrand

Iheanacho

Vardy

Napoli:

Schmeichel

Castagne

Amartey

Soyuncu

Thomas

Soumare 

Ndidi/Tielemans

New RW

Maddison

Barnes 

Daka

• Like 2

This is just the sort of game where, after some indifferent displays, we are likely to turn it on. Vardy just loves bagging hat tricks against Pep.

It would be typical of us to play a blinder against these, we often seem to up our game against top sides. That said, after two 5-0 wins they are going to be buzzing and Pep will be smarting after what we did to them last season and in the community shield and we could get royally stuffed.

Last season at their place, we played three at the back and beat their high press with quick transitions (Mendy's turn and pass was the perfect example of how to break against them) and pace. They will be expecting us to try the same again, so we may well do something different this time round. My fear is if we try and go toe to toe with them they will give us a major mauling.

Really need at least of one, preferably two, of Evans, Vestergaard or Bertrand back for this to provide a steadying influence at the back, which in turn gives our midfield and forwards the confidence to play their own game without having to worry about leaving gaps behind them.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2021 at 06:56, Danny Clender said:

If....IF...we have Evans and Vestergaard back for this and both in proper shape, we'll have a great chance for this game.

Evans should sort out the Soyuncu conundrum.

Hopefully Ricardo's available and able to run free.

And hopefully Brendan's finished reading Soumare and Daka's instruction manuals.

What conundrum is Vestergaard sorting out? 

Guest Danny Clender
1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

What conundrum is Vestergaard sorting out? 

A wonderfully random question, thank you.

Vestergaard was signed to solve something, so I guess that. 

3 hours ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Man City:

Schmeichel

Vestergaard

Evans (Amartey)

Soyuncu

Ricardo (Castagne)

ndidi

tielemans

KDH

Bertrand

Iheanacho

Vardy

Napoli:

Schmeichel

Castagne

Amartey

Soyuncu

Thomas

Soumare 

Ndidi/Tielemans

New RW

Maddison

Barnes 

Daka

If we get a new RW I am sorry but we wont be playing them for a few weeks at least if previous transfers are anything to go by.

Am I missing something?! Why have they suddenly became world beaters since we played them and beat them at Wembley?

We struggle most against teams that play a physical deep block and counter us like West Ham. Man City are going to have more possession giving us the opportunity to counter them. 

On 29/08/2021 at 13:59, whoareyaaa said:

Kasper             

Castange Amartey  Soyuncu  Bertrand

Nididi

Youri                  Soumare

KDH       

Nacho         

Vardy

....it is a massive burden to put on KDH so early in his career...!!!

If anything he should share the role with Madders and come on at 60 minutes. We needed to have got him in games earlier and then to be playing a formation not usually utilised and throwing him into a home debut on such an auspicious occasion against a team of the calibre of Man. City.

I would have thought playing them on the counter would be a better move and that requires pace and a tight and organised defence. Pep will always play the right way, their are teams out there who can turn them over because of his philosophy and we should not be looking to trade blows with them, we do not want an open game.

On 28/08/2021 at 20:59, Foxes96 said:

They look virtually unstoppable. Only way to get something from this I reckon is to go full sh*thouse. As painful as it is to say it 3-5-2 For me and go direct. Will need legs in midfield so KDH comes in - was a toss up between him and Soumaré but being a leftie will hopefully give a bit more balance. Daka vs Kel was another tough one but think we’ll have to play on the counter and Daka’s pace could be invaluable to stretch them. Vestergaard gets in ahead of Evans purely because he’s more likely to be fit but hopefully both will be available for selection soon.                      

Schmeichel 

Amartey - Vestergaard - Söyüncü 

Castagne - Tielemans - Ndidi - KDH - Bertrand 

Daka - Vardy 

Vs Napoli

Rotations to keep everyone fresh. 

Schmeichel 

Castagne - Evans - Söyüncü - Thomas

Albrighton - Ndidi - Soumaré - Barnes 

Maddison 

Daka 

....so Nacho misses out on both occasions!!!

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....so Nacho misses out on both occasions!!!

Upon reflection yes I probably would start Kelechi against Man City. Ordinarily would prefer Nachoman with 1 if Vards/ Daka, but just due to Man City’s style of play was tempted to go all out counter attack.

However I think I would start Iheanacho and can then always bring Daka on for the last 30mins to really stretch the game, depending how we’re getting on. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shailen said:

Kasper 

Ricardo

Evans

Soyuncu

Bertrand 

N'didi 

Soumare

Albrighton

Tielemans 

Barnes 

Vardy

....you can't go toe to toe, that's what they want, we should not be looking to play into their hands!!!

Do you remember what one of their player said after we beat them, that we did not set up properly and played in a way that would allow Man. City to play their own game.

Rodgers got lucky with the 5 -2 win last time, that was because he was down to the only people available who could walk and our set up, was the only option. We nullified them by sitting deep and paying attention to detail and could hit them on the break. United have a good record against them and it comes back to countering them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Schmeichel 

Ricardo

Amartey

Vestegaard

Soy

Bertrand

Soumare

Ndidi

Youri

Daka

Barnes

....interesting front two, I would love to see more of Daka and with Barnes up top gives us a lot of pace!!!

Daka if I recall is a bit more direct than Vardy and plays on the last man but without Vardy's guile. Soumare not yet up to speed and playing in a three in midfield will help but he does get caught in possession and needs to see the game and release the ball quicker.

When all is said and done this game is just a bit too soon in our season.