Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NaijaFox

Man City (H) Pre-Match Thread (Sept. 11, 3pm)

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....interesting front two, I would love to see more of Daka and with Barnes up top gives us a lot of pace!!!

Not sure why some keep saying this. Barnes isn't a centre forward. West Brom deployed him in a more central role but that was in the Championship and Brendan tried it once from recollection, late in a game against Man City but he cannot play up top. Rodgers has made the point several times that you would be taking him out of his best and natural position - and let's face it, he isn't doing that well right now. Still not fully adapted having returned from injury. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

Not sure why some keep saying this. Barnes isn't a centre forward. West Brom deployed him in a more central role but that was in the Championship and Brendan tried it once from recollection, late in a game against Man City but he cannot play up top. Rodgers has made the point several times that you would be taking him out of his best and natural position - and let's face it, he isn't doing that well right now. Still not fully adapted having returned from injury. 

...yeah, he is not yet up to speed and is struggling to outwit his defenders and not confident in his finishing!!!

If we are looking to counter then we need his pace, not playing on the last defenders shoulder, a bit wide as the outlet for our counter attack. Not a conventional two upfront but we get the best of both worlds, Daka keeping their backline honest and Barnes picking up as the outlet ball.

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...yeah, he is not yet up to speed and is struggling to outwit his defenders and not confident in his finishing!!!

If we are looking to counter then we need his pace, not playing on the last defenders shoulder, a bit wide as the outlet for our counter attack. Not a conventional two upfront but we get the best of both worlds, Daka keeping their backline honest and Barnes picking up as the outlet ball.

I'm unable to comprehend why we'd be looking to start Daka over Vardy right now. 

Barnes is an out and out winger - but he'll frequently run at a defence by cutting in from the left when in possession. Statistically - the majority of Barnes' shots are from central positions or just to the left of centre on his favoured right foot. His greatest threat is posed through cutbacks having beating a man then laying back for a teammate, or by inverting and sliding a pass across the opposition’s defence for a Leicester player to run on to. This is also Ricardo's emergent strength which is a nightmare on both flanks - (and I'm certain that Brendan intends to play him in front of Castagne). You'll also see Harvey skin his man down the line and deliver a cross on his weaker left foot and that versatility makes him less predictable and harder to play against on the ball. No way that Brendan deploys him in a more central position. 

21 minutes ago, Line-X said:

My whole tactic would be to leave 2 players up the top of the pitch who are rapid and play the ball into the channels.

Its not a normal way of playing but it's basically what we played against them successfully last season

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

My whole tactic would be to leave 2 players up the top of the pitch who are rapid and play the ball into the channels.

Its not a normal way of playing but it's basically what we played against them successfully last season

Yeah I understand that, but for the reasons I mentioned, Barnes needs to be wide left. That's his game. I like to see two central strikers and that being the case, Nacho behind Vards is the way that Brendan would probably go, but not whilst he feels the need to deploy three CBs - which I suspect he will. 

Edited by Line-X

14 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Yeah I understand that, but for the reasons I mentioned, Barnes needs to be wide left. That's his game. I like to see two central strikers and that being the case, Nacho behind Vards is the way that Brendan would probably go, but not whilst he feels the need to deploy three CBs - which I suspect he will. 

This implies either you are Brendan or you're in his ear :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....you can't go toe to toe, that's what they want, we should not be looking to play into their hands!!!

Do you remember what one of their player said after we beat them, that we did not set up properly and played in a way that would allow Man. City to play their own game.

Rodgers got lucky with the 5 -2 win last time, that was because he was down to the only people available who could walk and our set up, was the only option. We nullified them by sitting deep and paying attention to detail and could hit them on the break. United have a good record against them and it comes back to countering them.

Or perhaps Rodgers knew exactly what he was doing.

Considering he left players who could easily have been starters (Perez, Maddison, Iheanacho, Albrighton) on the bench (granted Nacho's form was different from the latter half of the season), clearly Rodgers had several different choices in terms of formation and personnel, and devised what turned out great in terms of personnel and gameplan. Let's give him all due credit for it. In this business, you often make your own luck. 

44 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Tielemans could be out for this one.

Can't see anything other than a man city win here.  We're just not playing well enough right now to think we could put in a decent enough performance.

How so? Injury? Covid? Belgium going somewhere particular? That'd be awful news.

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Tielemans could be out for this one.

Can't see anything other than a man city win here.  We're just not playing well enough right now to think we could put in a decent enough performance.

Reports sounds like he will be ready to play for Belgium this weekend.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 2

Personally think we should prioritise Napoli over this game, rest players if needed. Play on the counter against them as we have done so effectively in the past. Maybe a game for Daka and maybe some minutes for Lookman. 

Reckon we will play a back 3, and 2 up top. Hopefully Soumaré can get a game. He, Ndidi and Tielemans could do well in the middle. Maddison is a luxury player (who is in poor form) that we can’t afford to carry in games like these. 

maybe something like...

Kasper

Amartey, Soy, Bertrand 

Ricardo, Tielemans, Ndidi, Soumare, Thomas/Tim

Daka/Nacho, Vardy 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 2