Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NaijaFox

Man City (H) Pre-Match Thread (Sept. 11, 3pm)

All this defeatist talk brings back happy memories of a few seasons back against ManC. I was sat in the car, in the dark with the rain lashing down on the bonnet 20 mins before kick off. All the build up had been about how we were going to be embarrassed after daring to win the Premier League the year before and it was very tempting to stay in the warm and listen to Stringer. 

Got to my seat just before kick off, miserable and soaking wet and 20 mins later we were 3-0 up and dancing in the aisles. 

Don't write us off. 

• Like 3

Needs a Brendan rethink. 

1. Preference maybe 3 centre backs - assuming Vestergaard is fit? 

2. Hopefully Bertrand on the left, Tim C. on the right. 

3. I'd like to stick Somuare in alongside Wilf and hopefully Tillemans to reduce their time on the ball. 

4. I think he may play Kiernan as the 10 behind Vardy, so sadly no Kelechi but option for him and Daka as subs in second half.

Can't see us scoring more than 1 so will need to keep a clean sheet. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see us do really well to be perfectly honest, we love a game against the big 6.

We're also quite fortunate that a lot of key players will have had plenty of rest (6 out of a potential starting XI not away internationally), similarly as mentioned above we might have a couple of players back (maybe just on the bench)

On the other hand City's squad will have been flying all over the shop potentially playing 3 games. Normal kick off time and no TV might help also... and a lively home crowd :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

All this defeatist talk brings back happy memories of a few seasons back against ManC. I was sat in the car, in the dark with the rain lashing down on the bonnet 20 mins before kick off. All the build up had been about how we were going to be embarrassed after daring to win the Premier League the year before and it was very tempting to stay in the warm and listen to Stringer. 

Got to my seat just before kick off, miserable and soaking wet and 20 mins later we were 3-0 up and dancing in the aisles. 

Don't write us off. 

Yes depends on whether Brendan can remember that we're a really good counter attacking team. Or will he forget that and try to go toe to toe with them. 

My concern is that he didn't learn off the West ham spankings and we don't look that good defensively or the midfield or attack at the minute.

Edited by Grebfromgrebland

5 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Yes depends on whether Brendan can remember that we're a really good counter attacking team. Or will he forget that and try to go toe to toe with them. 

My concern is that he didn't learn off the West ham spankings and we don't look that good defensively or the midfield or attack at the minute.

Against Man City the tactics are really taken out of your hands. There is no other choice other than to counter attack.

Rodgers has Peps number, and we’re more than capable of getting something against these. 

Im going to be optimistic and say we will get a result 3-2.

Team (if all are fit)

Kasper

Vesty

Evans

Cags

Ricardo

Youri

Ndidi

Bertrand

Maddison

Vardy

Daka.

I would go a little cautious for this one :  3-5-3

Kasper / Jakupovic / Ward

Castagne, Amartey, Vestergaard, Soyuncu, Bertrand

Ndidi, Soumare, Choudhury 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Rodgers has Peps number, and we’re more than capable of getting something against these. 

Im going to be optimistic and say we will get a result 3-2.

Team (if all are fit)

Kasper

Vesty

Evans

Cags

Ricardo

Youri

Ndidi

Bertrand

Maddison

Vardy

Daka.

Strong side - but no way is Evans available for this (which screws up your selection and formation unless you assume that Amartey keeps his place - and we still don't know about Vestergaard). Also, I think it's very unlikely that you'll see Barnes dropped or Daka alongside Vardy - too similar in style. 

Man City must love it when teams play 5 at the back against them*. Concedes even more space and allows them to overload wide areas easily making it more like a training session for them.

Vardy

Barnes                            Albrighton

Soumare Tielemans

Ndidi

Bertrand Vestergaard Amartey Castagne

Kasper

Tielemans normally plays on the left but this is more balanced.

Iheanacho on for Albrighton and KDH for Soumare if we're offering nothing going forwards.

*Before some clever Dick brings up the 5-2 game we went 1-0 down, were absolutely dreadful, got gifted 3 penalties and scored a screamer.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Man City must love it when teams play 5 at the back against them*. Concedes even more space and allows them to overload wide areas easily making it more like a training session for them.

*Before some clever Dick brings up the 5-2 game we went 1-0 down, were absolutely dreadful, got gifted 3 penalties and scored a screamer.

I wouldn't really bring up our game - I'd bring up when Chelsea used three times against them last season. 

Brighton did it as well, beating them with 5 at the back 

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Agreed. We get a point here and we've reached what I felt was a realistic target for the first 4 games of 10 points. Would have just expected to have drew to West Ham and lost to Man City on the way to doing so, however.

If we get a point here we'll be on 7 points.

Covid Spot Checks will be in place for this game

https://www.lcfc.com/news/2242997/covid19-spot-checks-to-be-in-place-for-man-city

To ensure the safety of everyone in attendance and to minimise the risk of COVID-19 transmission, the spot checks, which are part of new Premier League protocols, will ask everyone over the age of 18 to provide one of the below:

- Proof of full vaccination for a period of more than two weeks
- A negative lateral flow or PCR test result from within the previous 48 hours
- An exemption from COVID-19 vaccinations

10 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Covid Spot Checks will be in place for this game

https://www.lcfc.com/news/2242997/covid19-spot-checks-to-be-in-place-for-man-city

To ensure the safety of everyone in attendance and to minimise the risk of COVID-19 transmission, the spot checks, which are part of new Premier League protocols, will ask everyone over the age of 18 to provide one of the below:

- Proof of full vaccination for a period of more than two weeks
- A negative lateral flow or PCR test result from within the previous 48 hours
- An exemption from COVID-19 vaccinations

Finally confirmation on the ages -- They were rumblings anyone over 11 would need a lateral flow test, which would have been irritating, in so many different ways.

Respect Man City, but don’t fear or be in awe of them, that’s almost giving in before you’ve started.

Also don’t forget, they play on the Wednesday in the CL against Leipzig, so I’m sure Pep will select his team against us with that in mind. CL must be his priority this year. It may be his last chance. 

8 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

Respect Man City, but don’t fear or be in awe of them, that’s almost giving in before you’ve started.

Also don’t forget, they play on the Wednesday in the CL against Leipzig, so I’m sure Pep will select his team against us with that in mind. CL must be his priority this year. It may be his last chance. 

yeah but we also have napoli a day after.