Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Worst ever manager

Worst ever manager  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the worst manager in our history?

• Frank McLintock
    • David Pleat
    • Peter Taylor
    • Craig Levein
    • Ian Holloway
    • Paolo Sousa

4 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Maybe the thread title should be “Worst Ever Manager in last 25 years” as clearly football didn’t exist before then. 

I think it’s more the vast majority on here would only have an active knowledge of the last 25 Years, there is a few, but not many who would have been around in the late 70s. And even those who were, if you didn’t go to games the coverage wasn’t around to see how bad it was.

Also, the worst manager in our clubs history was Peter Taylor, no question - at the time, he had spent more than every other manager in our history combined. 
He alienated senior players, Collymore, Walsh, Cottee, Marshall and forced them out the door.

He replaced them with Lee Marshall, Junior Lewis, Kevin Ellison, etc

We had a good team, we had lost MON, Heskey, Lennon to big moves and we needed stability- he ripped that away when he let big players who challenges him leave the dressing room.

He was tactically inept and will be remembered as the worst in our history 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I think it’s more the vast majority on here would only have an active knowledge of the last 25 Years, there is a few, but not many who would have been around in the late 70s. And even those who were, if you didn’t go to games the coverage wasn’t around to see how bad it was.

Also, the worst manager in our clubs history was Peter Taylor, no question - at the time, he had spent more than every other manager in our history combined. 
He alienated senior players, Collymore, Walsh, Cottee, Marshall and forced them out the door.

He replaced them with Lee Marshall, Junior Lewis, Kevin Ellison, etc

We had a good team, we had lost MON, Heskey, Lennon to big moves and we needed stability- he ripped that away when he let big players who challenges him leave the dressing room.

He was tactically inept and will be remembered as the worst in our history 

McLintock replaced one of the most entertaining, talented and admired sides in English football

Alan Birchenall
Frank Worthington
Steve Earle
Jon Sammels
Jeff Blockley
Steve Earle
Brian Alderson
Steve Kember
Larry May
Keith Weller

With his passed it buddies plus some of the worst players ever to don a Leicester shirt.

Eddie Kelly
Dave Webb
George Armstrong

Geoff Salmond

Lammie Robertson
Alan Waddle
Roger Davies

Managing to win just 4 of 37 games scoring just 19 goals whilst conceding 57 with a win rate of 10.81%

I can see why that people who never saw this period wouldn't pick him but he really should be classed as the clubs worst ever manager.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, davieG said:

McLintock replaced one of the most entertaining, talented and admired sides in English football

Alan Birchenall
Frank Worthington
Steve Earle
Jon Sammels
Jeff Blockley
Steve Earle
Brian Alderson
Steve Kember
Larry May
Keith Weller

With his passed it buddies plus some of the worst players ever to don a Leicester shirt.

Eddie Kelly
Dave Webb
George Armstrong

Geoff Salmond

Lammie Robertson
Alan Waddle
Roger Davies

Managing to win just 4 of 37 games scoring just 19 goals whilst conceding 57 with a win rate of 10.81%

I can see why that people who never saw this period wouldn't pick him but he really should be classed as the clubs worst ever manager.

To be fair, I always think Bloomfield's side got a bit reappraised after his sad early death. We played some good football but we never scored many goals and did well under Bloomfield largely due to our defence. But my memory of Bloomfield is that he was never massively popular while manager here and there was some frustration we underachieved under him a bit, largely pottering about near the foot of the table with the exception of the one season we finished 7th (and I'm pretty sure we were around the relegation zone at Christmas that season but just had a fantastic second half of the season).

I think a more recent comparison would be Bournemouth under Eddie Howe, where we had 1 or 2 top half finishes but otherwise flirted with relegation a lot and went on long stretches of really poor runs and poor football.

We went on some absolutely rotten runs under Bloomfield, comparable with Taylor's or McLintock's reigns for a good 6 months or so. I may be wrong but I think the club's longest ever winless run still stands from the Bloomfield era, or at least did for many years where we went 18 or 19 league games (basically half a season) without winning.

McLintock inhereted a side where all of the best players from the Bloomfield era had even gone or were over the hill. He spent badly and didn't replace them, but it's unfair to compare them to those players in the Bloomfield era as if he inherited them all in their primes. The difference between McLintock and Taylor is that McLintock inherited an ageing, declining squad that was in desperate need of several signings whereas Taylor inherited a good squad in a healthy position.

Edited by Sampson

9 minutes ago, Sampson said:

To be fair, I always think Bloomfield's side got a bit reappraised after his sad early death. We played some good football but we never scored many goals and did well under Bloomfield largely due to our defence. But my memory of Bloomfield is that he was never massively popular while manager here and there was some frustration we underachieved under him a bit, largely pottering about near the foot of the table with the exception of the one season we finished 7th.

I think a more recent comparison would be Bournemouth under Eddie Howe, where we had 1 or 2 top half finishes but otherwise flirted with relegation a lot and went on long stretches of really poor runs and poor football.

We went on some absolutely rotten runs under Bloomfield, comparable with Taylor's or McLintock's reigns for a good 6 months or so. I may be wrong but I think the club's longest ever winless run still stands from the Bloomfield era, or at least did for many years where we went 18 or 19 league games (basically half a season) without winning.

McLintock inhereted a side where all of the best players from the Bloomfield era had even gone or were over the hill. He spent badly and didn't replace them, but it's unfair to compare them to those players in the Bloomfield era as if he inherited them all in their primes. The difference between McLintock and Taylor is that McLintock inherited an ageing, declining squad that was in desperate need of several signings whereas Taylor inherited a good squad in a healthy position.

Well we're not judging Bloomfield whatever he inherited and Worthington went on to finish as League 1 Runners Up in the early 80s and was the 1st Divisions leading scorer in the late 70s the replacements were far worse than any he replaced.

McLintock simply was a very poor manager.

A half decent manager would have taken Bloomfield's team and built on it and improved it. I don't recall a single game where I was entertained or felt happy, there were a few decent results under Taylor and I've no admiration for him either as obviously his ineptness had a greater longer lasting impact.

But it's all about opinions and personal so I respect anyone else's opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Mentioned earlier in the thread, Frank McLintock, totally clueless in all departments and a miserable year supporting the City.

And I think many other people are thinking about the enormous long-lasting effect of Taylor. Not only was the football atrocious and the signings shocking, he actively set this club back years at a time when it was in its prime.

Context is everything. Football has moved on exponentially between 1978 and 2001, just as it has between PT's era and now. At a time when we were spending millions of pounds on dross, moving to a brand new stadium and had the highest hopes following consistent, silverware riddled success, it was our chance to kick on and solidify ourselves in the upper echelons of the Premiership.

Instead we frittered it away with a manager who had a severe lack of ability. Frank's season was terrible, but the lasting effects of that mistake were nowhere near as negative on the club as what Taylor did to us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

And I think many other people are thinking about the enormous long-lasting effect of Taylor. Not only was the football atrocious and the signings shocking, he actively set this club back years at a time when it was in its prime.

Context is everything. Football has moved on exponentially between 1978 and 2001, just as it has between PT's era and now. At a time when we were spending millions of pounds on dross, moving to a brand new stadium and had the highest hopes following consistent, silverware riddled success, it was our chance to kick on and solidify ourselves in the upper echelons of the Premiership.

Instead we frittered it away with a manager who had a severe lack of ability. Frank's season was terrible, but the lasting effects of that mistake were nowhere near as negative on the club as what Taylor did to us.

I guess it depends on whether you are judging it simply as the worst manager or the one that caused the most damage.

So for me the worst ever manager was McLintock

Taylor undoubtedly wins the accolade as the one that nearly led to the demise of LCFC.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Alan Birchenall
Frank Worthington
Steve Earle
Jon Sammels
Jeff Blockley
Steve Earle
Brian Alderson
Steve Kember
Larry May
Keith Weller

Eddie Kelly
Dave Webb
George Armstrong

Geoff Salmond

Lammie Robertson
Alan Waddle
Roger Davies

Couldn't agree more. It is worth stating that at the time I believe Roger Davies was our record transfer fee paid at 300K.

We also finished the season with what I think may have been the fewest goals scored ever in the old first division. I remember a 0-0 draw at Villa Park being one of the highlights.

Having sat through a complete season of McLintock's Leicester and Taylor's Leicester I can safely say the foorball played in the 1970s was ten times worse than most of Taylor's tenure.

Edited by reynard

19 hours ago, urban fox said:

My first game at filbo was in 1968. My formative years as a teenager were in the seventies watching the Bloomfield boys so what followed was a lot of ups and downs but at least I grew up thinking we were a decent side, if a bit of a yo-yo club. Fortunately, I shipped out to uni in Aberdeen in ‘78 so didn’t have to witness the debacle that was mclintock first hand but remember looking on in pain from afar. By the time I was back in Leicester the jock Wallace era was coming towards its end and a period of stability under Milne. I think that is what made the pleat era so difficult to bear.

but for sheer stupidity Taylor has to take the accolade of worst ever manager simply because of the way he destroyed everything that was good about our club and the legacy that was left him by MON. I always got the impression that it was down to his arrogance in that he thought he knew better than anyone else 

That's exactly how i remember him.....it was as though he deliberately tried to undo everything that MON had put in place in order to prove he could do it "his own way."

Akinbiyi was a nightmare signing for us but Taylor's stubbornness and absolute refusal to drop him because he was his signing just smacked of pure egotism and arrogance......he put his own ego above the interests of the football club.

Holloway, Levein, Pleat and Mclintock were all terrible in different ways.......BUT Taylor was terrible in EVERY way!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

As bad as Holloway was I’m not sure I could call him the worst manager we have ever had as he came in at an unstable time after we had had something like 7 managers in the space of a year so I don’t think all of the problems were down to him at that point.

The most annoying probably, the unfunny, self publicising, attention seeking cretin.

Definitely not the worst though. 

Peter Taylor all day long. Evidence of the existence of the reverse midas touch. 

2 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

The most annoying probably, the unfunny, self publicising, attention seeking cretin.

Definitely not the worst though. 

Peter Taylor all day long. Evidence of the existence of the reverse midas touch. 

Assume you’re on the red side of Bristol judging by your opinion :P

I like Olly. Made a few mistakes here but was thrown into a complete shitshow by Milan

3 hours ago, davieG said:

I guess it depends on whether you are judging it simply as the worst manager or the one that caused the most damage.

Taylor undoubtedly wins the accolade as the one that nearly led to the demise of LCFC.

Also after McLintock it took us the best part of 15 years + to get back to being a truly competitive team with a winning mentality. 

Understand what people are saying about PT but the board at the time are also not blameless. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Assume you’re on the red side of Bristol judging by your opinion :P

I like Olly. Made a few mistakes here but was thrown into a complete shitshow by Milan

Ha ha ha. How did you guess. 

As I said though he was by no means the worst.... Not very good, but I think bearing in mind the downward trajectory we'd been on for a few years it was only a matter of time anyway before we got relegated, whoever was in charge. 

Still think it was one of the best things that ended up happening to us anyway, as it made us reset. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Ha ha ha. How did you guess. 

As I said though he was by no means the worst.... Not very good, but I think bearing in mind the downward trajectory we'd been on for a few years it was only a matter of time anyway before we got relegated, whoever was in charge. 

Still think it was one of the best things that ended up happening to us anyway, as it made us reset. 

I’m on the blue side so I find him quite amusing :P

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, davieG said:

I've been sat here liking just about every post slating McLintock and Taaylor.

The above sums it up perfectly.

There were games under Taylor were we didn't look like a bad side, and we were top 4/5 for quite some time.

I remember leaping around Pen 3 singing 'we've got a corner' under McLintock, things were truly that bad.

Away at Palace there had been a programme early in the week about someone with special needs whose reply when asked to do anything was 'I'd prefer no to'.

Each misplaced pass or awful shot was met with 'pass it someone in blue, I'd prefer not to'.

Awful, awful season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Disappointed Levein has scored so low on the vote. An absolute ballbag of a guy.

It was a real shame it didn't work out for him. He was very highly rated when he joined and seemed a real coup.

He was left a dreadful squad by Micky Adams, full of ageing, past it players. He managed to get David Connolly (a real talent in the Championship) scoring regularly before he had to be sold. His signings were generally poor- De Vries, Hamill, Gilbert to name a few- and we played some poor football. Had a couple of memorable cup games (Charlton and Tottenham) but league memories very thin in number.